Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk shower

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a moment this morning, I thought I heard sloshing and dismissed it. Later in the day, I opened the trunk and about a pint of water pours out from behind the hatch pull-down handles as though a glass had been knocked over. I usually duck into the trunk while it's opening, so shower time.

The headliner and parcel shelf are dry and the trunk gasket looks like it's fully intact, but there was enough water to soak the rear-well cover and partially fill the well that the trunk latch drops into. Has anyone seen issues with the glass on the hatchback losing its seal? Any suggestions on other things to check that could leak water between the interior trim and the sheet metal would be appreciated.

Thanks.

<rant>
It is normal that a December 2014 P85D should have water intrusion, late-installed next-gen seats that squeak, tick, and rock, a dashboard that rattles, a whistling sunroof, triangle windows that leak air, a red-flagged battery get shipped back to the factory for half a year, a mis-aligned hood, and a possible leak in the air suspension? To be fair, Tyson's has remedied some of these issues and missed others. When I call in, I'm never really sure whether or not I'm effectively explaining myself to the person on the other end of the phone and when I've emailed, I get a phone call to re-explain the email, since it seems as though the email doesn't make it through to the person calling. I'm trying to be respectful of the fact that many of the issues are annoyances that don't keep me from driving the car and that Tyson's appears to be overloaded, but I find myself increasingly disappointed in Tesla's build quality, communication, and service.
</rant>

Last edited:
Reactions: 2krazykats
Has anyone seen issues with the glass on the hatchback losing its seal? Any suggestions on other things to check that could leak water between the interior trim and the sheet metal would be appreciated.
Bob, I am almost certain that your problem is leaking taillight seals. Based on your description, your problem matches exactlywhat I experienced last winter for the first time in my December 2013 S.

Tesla will replace the seals, under warranty of course. Take your car into your local Service Center. They will fix it. It's a known issue in the timeframe our cars were built. They also replaced the long horizontal "TESLA" chrome trim piece on my car as part of the repair, and I got the latest version of that piece with the more prominently raised lettering.

Post again and update us.

• Helpful
Reactions: BobV
your problem matches exactly what I experienced

That's helpful, thank you. When this happened to you, was there water also visible inside the taillight assembly?

I think I can rig something up that'll stay put to at least cover the rear of the hatch deck as it's predicted to be rainy until my service appointment next week.

Take your car into your local Service Center.

I only wish my service center were local... Thanks VADA!

Yep, same thing happened to us. It was water leaking in through the tail-lights or the applique. The service center replaced them and its been fine since. We also had water in the tail lights in the hatch. Something else to keep in mind is to make sure the carpet dries out in the back, we got a bit of mold growing back there from it getting wet all the time.

And yes that quality is pretty much par for the course on a 2014 Model S.

• Helpful
Reactions: BobV
So I experienced the shower once. Our car resides in a garage so it is not exposed to rainfall unless we are on the road. About six months after noticing water in the tail light I noticed the bottom of the light was not lighting. We are way out of warranty so I replaced it myself ( Tesla wanted $450 )
Below are pictures of the tail light and circuit boards after removal. Notice the deformed seal. I believe that is the source of the leak which filled the enclosure. This is the passenger side hatch tail light. It is one part and is not capable of being taken apart without destroying it.

4715A28B-7AC7-43C6-B6B8-AD5D0C648131.jpeg BA8CCDA0-17BD-49E9-8CB7-C670604169A6.jpeg 7E96313C-48B4-4C5F-901A-9F7952A6DFC1.jpeg 4C03C644-99F3-47D1-8C44-B11A454C8ABD.jpeg

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: BerTX and LoL Rick
Bob, I am almost certain that your problem is leaking taillight seals. Based on your description, your problem matches exactlywhat I experienced last winter for the first time in my December 2013 S.

Tesla will replace the seals, under warranty of course. Take your car into your local Service Center. They will fix it. It's a known issue in the timeframe our cars were built. They also replaced the long horizontal "TESLA" chrome trim piece on my car as part of the repair, and I got the latest version of that piece with the more prominently raised lettering.

Post again and update us.

It’s definitely the tail light seals. After my rear ender the taillights had to be replaced and resealed. The body shop didn’t seal tjem properly and I had buckets of water streaming from the liftgate whe I opened them. My local service center resealed them and there’s now no water leakage. Not even a drop.

Just to add a note. My car was back in for service multiple times for this in the last year. It definitely had leaky left cluster on delivery, and this was replaced along with the appliqué and right lamp seal - and still had the problem. Went to a more competent SC eventually, and they found the problem was actually the grommet where the wiring enters the metal pressing on the right side under the plastic cover hadn’t been installed right in the factory. Must have cost them a good $1000 for the sake of a 5c rubber part and some care in assembly & QC. If it comes back, have them check.

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
I have now had both inner tail lights replaced for water intrusion. There actually was a water level in the lights. Replaced at different times. With the second one they also replaced the rear appliqué to the latest version, so no more condensation in the reversing light after a car wash. YIPPEE. Sept 2014 build

• Helpful
Reactions: Amacharola
I also have a September 2014 build, and also had noticed the water intrusion. California has been in a drought for the past couple of years, so it wasn't really a big issue until I had my Model S in for its 3rd annual service. The car happened to be sitting outside at the service center on the one day that we got a really good amount of rain. When I went to pick the car up, I happened to open the liftgate as the service techs were standing watching me, and probably a liter of water poured out. Of course they came over immediately and said it wasn't supposed to do that. ;)

Anyway, now I have new tail lights and rear fascia strip. Thought it might be useful to post before-and-after photos for comparison; the different cutout size at the end of the chrome strip makes it easy to spot a 2014-or-earlier Model S.

8xR4ZOH.jpg

Reactions: SMAlset and jrreno
And today, car all fogged up so looked in the lower trunk... soaking wet and beginning to go mouldy. It’s not the liftgate - no trunk showers, so it can only be something in the body. Been raining a lot last few days. Any ideas?

Monday’s call back from the SC is going to be interesting.

Yes! That's exactly what happens. They need to replace your tail lights, where the water enters the liftgate due to improper seals. I'd expect there must be a service bulletin on this issue, as it's happened to so many cars and the fix is always the same. Take your car to the service center and show them the video.