TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trunk shower

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by BobV, May 9, 2016.

1. BobV

BobV Member

#1 BobV, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    For a moment this morning, I thought I heard sloshing and dismissed it. Later in the day, I opened the trunk and about a pint of water pours out from behind the hatch pull-down handles as though a glass had been knocked over. I usually duck into the trunk while it's opening, so shower time.

The headliner and parcel shelf are dry and the trunk gasket looks like it's fully intact, but there was enough water to soak the rear-well cover and partially fill the well that the trunk latch drops into. Has anyone seen issues with the glass on the hatchback losing its seal? Any suggestions on other things to check that could leak water between the interior trim and the sheet metal would be appreciated.

Thanks.

<rant>
    It is normal that a December 2014 P85D should have water intrusion, late-installed next-gen seats that squeak, tick, and rock, a dashboard that rattles, a whistling sunroof, triangle windows that leak air, a red-flagged battery get shipped back to the factory for half a year, a mis-aligned hood, and a possible leak in the air suspension? To be fair, Tyson's has remedied some of these issues and missed others. When I call in, I'm never really sure whether or not I'm effectively explaining myself to the person on the other end of the phone and when I've emailed, I get a phone call to re-explain the email, since it seems as though the email doesn't make it through to the person calling. I'm trying to be respectful of the fact that many of the issues are annoyances that don't keep me from driving the car and that Tyson's appears to be overloaded, but I find myself increasingly disappointed in Tesla's build quality, communication, and service.
    </rant>

• Like x 1
  2. BobV

BobV Member

Well, the tarp slid off overnight and magnets don't exactly work on aluminum :)

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Bob, I am almost certain that your problem is leaking taillight seals. Based on your description, your problem matches exactlywhat I experienced last winter for the first time in my December 2013 S.

Tesla will replace the seals, under warranty of course. Take your car into your local Service Center. They will fix it. It's a known issue in the timeframe our cars were built. They also replaced the long horizontal "TESLA" chrome trim piece on my car as part of the repair, and I got the latest version of that piece with the more prominently raised lettering.

Post again and update us.

• Helpful x 1
  4. BobV

BobV Member

That's helpful, thank you. When this happened to you, was there water also visible inside the taillight assembly?

I think I can rig something up that'll stay put to at least cover the rear of the hatch deck as it's predicted to be rainy until my service appointment next week.

I only wish my service center were local... Thanks VADA!

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Yep, same thing happened to us. It was water leaking in through the tail-lights or the applique. The service center replaced them and its been fine since. We also had water in the tail lights in the hatch. Something else to keep in mind is to make sure the carpet dries out in the back, we got a bit of mold growing back there from it getting wet all the time.

And yes that quality is pretty much par for the course on a 2014 Model S.

• Helpful x 1
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, on the passenger side.

7. BobV

BobV Member

The service center called me back today to say that it was indeed a problem with the rear applique and that they've replaced it with an updated part.

8. SPXMike

SPXMike Member

Thank you for this thread. On my road trip to Portland OR last weekend I opened the hatchback and received a shower from the hatchback button and the passenger-side bumper. I'll contact my SC.