Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk shuts but does not latch on my 2021 M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday morning I did an OTA update and was loading the trunk after which it stopped latching when shut by either the exterior button or app. (I don't thing the OTA had anything to do with it but I mention it as the problem appeared to start right afterward.) When shut but not latched there is a 1/2 inch gap on upper part of trunk body interface. I cannot lock the car as it thinks the trunk is open - which it is.

I took pics and it seems that maybe something is missing in the latch assembly but since I have nothing to compare it with not sure.

I scheduled a mobile service appt. but it's not till Feb 2.

Any comments or observations appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• original_96664c13-eacd-414f-baf9-f9aac149402e_20210125_085347.jpg
    original_96664c13-eacd-414f-baf9-f9aac149402e_20210125_085347.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 96
  • original_565d8cd6-2363-4bc0-91f6-d9e8aa5a2dc0_20210125_085411.jpg
    original_565d8cd6-2363-4bc0-91f6-d9e8aa5a2dc0_20210125_085411.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 80
2 comments; make sure the latch isn't already in the closed position (it doesn't look like it in your photo, but I mention it for others). If it is, then you can insert a screwdriver or pick into the gap where the lower trunk "hoop" belongs and apply just a little pressure downward, then have someone activate the opening mechanism so it releases.
Since this doesn't seem to be what's happening to your trunk...
I've noticed about every other week or so, a Model 3 comes into our shop with the owner complaining of having to absolutely SLAM the trunk to get it to close properly. Obvious this isn't normal so a call to the SC is in order. I assume they adjust the engagement interface distance between the latch and the hoop to fix this. Sorry if this post isn't particularly helpful for your situation.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hey Bruce, looks like your latch is closed; that's why it can't close. I've never had a power trunk before, but the way I'd tackle that is this: Find a screwdriver that fits into the small space you have, so you can force the latch open (down). Insert the screwdriver, and while making downward force on the latch (probably against the trunk's sheet metal as a lever), BUT NOT ON THE TRUNK ITSELF (so it can open), click on the trunk's button, which first opens the latch (it should pop down right away), and then activates the motor to lift it. Once open, use silicone spray to lube the inside of the latch, just to eliminate that as a possible culprit. I'd also check that the metal bracket is centered in the latch (you can check that now). It's possible your latch is defective, and not releasing the latch too, so once you get it unstuck, cycle your trunk a couple of times after lubing it, to make sure all is well, and hopefully call off the mobile appointment. Good luck.

Last edited: