Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Sill – Chrome Cover Interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had checked with the SC when our MS was in for the recent recall about the possibility of getting the two Trunk sill pieces on each side of the latch in chrome to then be consistent with the Frunk sill pieces. They quoted $250 which I thought was a bit expensive but went ahead with it and now know the reason why… they are not two separate pieces that would be replaced, the whole center section was replaced (see pics below). I also thought they would be chrome on the P or P+ models but the loaner I drove also had plastic so may be something that Tesla just decided to change to cut costs. *I also had the Accelerator and Brake pedals replaced with the aluminum pedals that were pictured in my build and have seen in non-performance models but seem to now be rubber/plastic ($80 per pedal).

Anyway, a vendor friend of mine wants to see if it would be worth the investment in getting a mold created to make chrome sill cap plates that would be put over the plastic portion and would be something anyone could do and would look similar to what I have now.

If there were chrome plates available at less cost than replacing with the factory piece, would you be interested in buying them? Don’t have the actual cost right now but just trying to gauge interest.

Original:
DSC_2424-2.jpg

DSCN1752.jpg

Replacement:
DSCN1755.jpg

My Signature has the chrome on the trunk sill. I didn't realize that the newer cars didn't have it.

I would love to see a chrome or brushed metal door sill modification. The one detail that really bugged me about the car's trim when it was delivered was the plastic door sills. I heard that the original plan was to have them be carbon fiber but Tesla discovered that they were not durable. I seem to recall that replacing that part was one of the reasons the first Signatures were delayed. I was hoping that a more refined door sill was in the pipe. That is a modification I'd be interested in.

The door sill is another thing we have been discussing... specifically a lighted insert portion (preferably metal) that would say Tesla or Model S. That one is tough as the underneath of the flat portion on the current plastic sill has about 1" clearance to the body but there are some square staggered plastic support portions to keep it from sagging when you step on it. Will create another post if we are able to figure something like that out let alone something out of different material.

*I also know someone here locally that does carbon fiber wraps (oCarbon) and will talk to him about it and will send you his contact information if he thinks it is something that can be done.

My Signature has the chrome on the trunk sill. I didn't realize that the newer cars didn't have it.

I would love to see a chrome or brushed metal door sill modification. The one detail that really bugged me about the car's trim when it was delivered was the plastic door sills. I heard that the original plan was to have them be carbon fiber but Tesla discovered that they were not durable. I seem to recall that replacing that part was one of the reasons the first Signatures were delayed. I was hoping that a more refined door sill was in the pipe. That is a modification I'd be interested in.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting on your pedal cost since ours was $160 for both... maybe they made up a little bit of the difference in the cost to replace the trunk sill piece. :wink:

I was told that it was a cost decision to stop using the chrome part in the trunk. I was able to get my SC to get the part for me for free (but I did pay $250 to get the pedals replaced in aluminum).