Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk space + frunk space & utility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently took the family on a trip to the beach for 2 days. Wanted to take the wife’s Accord as it was a business trip for her, and it is more comfortable & fuel efficient than my Nissan Armada. We took clothes for 2 days for 4 people (mostly shorts swim suits & t-shirts, so not much), a sun umbrella for the beach, cooler (12x12x24 tall), 2 small beach chairs, towels, snacks, collapsible soft-sided wagon, and 2 boogie boards. Ended up not being able to fit everything & still be comfortable, so we ended up moving everything to the Armada. (without the boys boogie boards, we probably would have been just fine)

This got me thinking about having only the Accord and Model 3 as vehicles once I get the 3. How effective do you think the 3 will be as a 2-day family trip car? I know the 3 will have the “frunk” for additional space, but how big do you think the frunk and trunk space will be? I’m not talking about the trunk opening – see attached pic of the Accord trunk opening. I don’t think it’d radically bigger than the pics I’ve seen of the Model 3 opening.

What you don’t see in the pic is the cooler (in center of back seat) and my wife’s carry on bag (sitting in the driveway).

Our youngest has 6-7 travel lacrosse tournaments per year (Charleston SC, VA Beach, Richmond VA, Charlotte NC), and if the charging network gets built out sufficiently, I’d like to take the 3, but am concerned about space for everything. For those, subtract the umbrella, beach chairs, towels and boogie boards, but add a collapsible 10x10 canopy, gear bag, and 2 42-inch long lacrosse sticks. Not thinking I’ll be able to fit the canopy, but several other families bring theirs so may be ok. Is the Model 3 a viable option for those trips?

Attachments

• IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 163
I doubt you'll feet a 10'x10' canopy. Mine definitely does not fit in my X's trunk (or frunk). The frunk size will likely be dependent on if you get AWD. With AWD it's fairly small - great for a few small bags, but not fitting a suitcase or a stroller in it. Without AWD it should have much more storage.

I doubt you'll feet a 10'x10' canopy. Mine definitely does not fit in my X's trunk (or frunk). The frunk size will likely be dependent on if you get AWD. With AWD it's fairly small - great for a few small bags, but not fitting a suitcase or a stroller in it. Without AWD it should have much more storage.

I suppose then I will have smaller storage because I'm certainly getting AWD.

I believe the S now has the same size frunk whether the car is RWD or Dual Motor. I expect the Model 3 frunk to work the same way.

There are photos online of the Model 3 frunk at the reveal with a small suitcase in it. Search images.google.com

There are also pictures online of the 3 trunk but because it is not a hatchback it is difficult to get a sense of the trunk size.

I believe the S now has the same size frunk whether the car is RWD or Dual Motor. I expect the Model 3 frunk to work the same way.

There are photos online of the Model 3 frunk at the reveal with a small suitcase in it. Search images.google.com

There are also pictures online of the 3 trunk but because it is not a hatchback it is difficult to get a sense of the trunk size.
If it's anything like the S trunk, it will be a suitcase black hole. That thing is HUGE (assuming you're not using it with the rear facing seats)

Keep in mind, all the Tesla Trunks have a deep section at the rear behind the axle that's much deeper than the rest of the trunk, generally under a cover (trunk within the trunk?) (Except for the S with jump seats, because this is where the jump seats are folded into.) I'd expect the 3 to have that extra space as well.

How effective do you think the 3 will be as a 2-day family trip car? I know the 3 will have the “frunk” for additional space, but how big do you think the frunk and trunk space will be? I’m not talking about the trunk opening – see attached pic of the Accord trunk opening.

It is a big issue for me also. When I bought my Prius, I took my ski gear to see how it would fit. Just made it but made. I wouldn't hesitate to do something like that when the T3's show up at the sales offices. Load up the Armada on the way to the beach or lacrosse match, stop at the Tesla place and see if it fits.

Keep in mind, all the Tesla Trunks have a deep section at the rear behind the axle that's much deeper than the rest of the trunk, generally under a cover (trunk within the trunk?) (Except for the S with jump seats, because this is where the jump seats are folded into.) I'd expect the 3 to have that extra space as well.

Thanks. Don't think I was aware of this. I need to schedule a Model S test drive in the near future.

I think the largest contributing factors of not being able to fit everything on the recent beach trip were the boogie boards, and the shape of the Accords trunk. The only way to fit them was sideways, and they would not go all the way to the back of the trunk due to the inner wheel wells. They could not go up high, because the trunk lid hinges would hit them.

I'm disappointed to see the same delicate process for closing the frunk on Model 3 as Model S.
I like the extra storage in the frunk but find it annoying that:
1) It takes 2 hands to close properly (I often have something from the frunk in my hands when closing it).
2) they have a design for something intended to be used regularly (and sometimes by people other than the owner) that requires special care and attention to prevent damage to the hood (creases/dents).

From page 13 of the Model 3 owners manual:
MODEL3-LAownersmanual.pdf
Caution: To prevent damage:
• Apply pressure only to the green
areas shown. Applying pressure to
the red areas can cause damage.
• Do not close the hood with one hand.
Doing so applies concentrated force
in one area and can result in a dent or
crease.
• Do not apply pressure to the leading
edge of the hood. Doing so can