Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed my aftermarket eBay spoiler today. Was pretty good quality for $170 USD all-in (after duties and shipping to Canada).

Came with 3 packs of adhesive promoter and two rolls of double sided tape you need to stick onto the spoiler yourself.

There’s like a 1.5mm gap at the two edges, may just be my inexperience and putting the double sided tape too far towards the points - can’t really see it unless you stick your head right at the tip so I’m just going to leave it. Hoping it won’t be a problem over time, the rest of the thing is stuck on quick solidly.

Some pics attached, don’t mind the filthy car in the Canadian winter :)

Attachments

• F0E31892-DA36-47C0-9468-FEE465AB8112.jpeg
    F0E31892-DA36-47C0-9468-FEE465AB8112.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 85CFA6C0-3896-43FA-8AA9-A76B4862A07C.jpeg
    85CFA6C0-3896-43FA-8AA9-A76B4862A07C.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 4D0584D3-4EB5-4E1C-9636-EA471D8FD78B.jpeg
    4D0584D3-4EB5-4E1C-9636-EA471D8FD78B.jpeg
    543.2 KB · Views: 272
This looks just like the RPM V-style spoiler. I also found mine (from RPM) isn't a great fit at either end, could do with touch more of a curve downwards. I imagine they are sourcing from the same place. Think I prefer the look of it in gloss.

This looks just like the RPM V-style spoiler. I also found mine (from RPM) isn't a great fit at either end, could do with touch more of a curve downwards. I imagine they are sourcing from the same place. Think I prefer the look of it in gloss.
Yea I bet they are all from the same factory. I was looking at the RPM V style one too and this was like half the price.

I might go get some black silicone and dab the tops where it slightly lifts, but I’m worried I might make it look messier. Any issues with yours if it isn’t flush at the ends?

Yea I bet they are all from the same factory. I was looking at the RPM V style one too and this was like half the price.

I might go get some black silicone and dab the tops where it slightly lifts, but I’m worried I might make it look messier. Any issues with yours if it isn’t flush at the ends?
Not at the moment but I suspect the weather to get to the tape and it for to eventually deteriorate resulting in the spoiler flying off at high speed. At least that's what happened to my Model 3 one ;)

Folks, I had the same issue with my RPM Tesla spoiler at either end. (Someplace warm) use painters tape to mask the trunk around the end of the spoilers. Obtain a tube of black RTV silicone. Cut the nozzle so it is a very small hole and squeeze a small amount of silicone into the gaps. Smoothen the joint with your finger then remove the tape. Gap sealed and essentially invisible. Before and after

Attachments

• C4AADCB2-98F6-485A-918B-BF202C1754A3.jpeg
    C4AADCB2-98F6-485A-918B-BF202C1754A3.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 8AECA9F8-907E-48A5-8EF4-17CBAC3D51A7.jpeg
    8AECA9F8-907E-48A5-8EF4-17CBAC3D51A7.jpeg
    498.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Folks, I had the same issue with my RPM Tesla spoiler at either end. (Someplace warm) use painters tape to mask the trunk around the end of the spoilers. Obtain a tube of black RTV silicone. Cut the nozzle so it is a very small hole and squeeze a small amount of silicone into the gaps. Smoothen the joint with your finger then remove the tape. Gap sealed and essentially invisible. Before and after
I ordered a tube off Amazon, hopefully this is the right stuff:

Will try your suggestion. Does the black silicone actually help stick the spoiler or is it just to seal the gap?

Reactions: leonwu
Yep just seals the gap. The VHB tape will hold no problem. RTV keeps water out. That is the right product 👍🏼
Thanks, Buying the tube is the easy part. Now trying to squeeze this into the gap will be a challenge, especially as I’m not very handy. Hopefully won’t make a mess, going to tape up the spoiler and as much of the trunk as possible.

You didn’t seal off any parts of the spoiler where it is sticking to the trunk fine right? Just the bits on the edge where it pops up?

Also do you remove the tape immediately after applying or do you wait for the silicone to dry first?

Sorry for the all the Q, I’m going to need all the help I can to not botch this lol.

Installed my aftermarket eBay spoiler today. Was pretty good quality for $170 USD all-in (after duties and shipping to Canada).

Came with 3 packs of adhesive promoter and two rolls of double sided tape you need to stick onto the spoiler yourself.

There’s like a 1.5mm gap at the two edges, may just be my inexperience and putting the double sided tape too far towards the points - can’t really see it unless you stick your head right at the tip so I’m just going to leave it. Hoping it won’t be a problem over time, the rest of the thing is stuck on quick solidly.

This looks exactly the same as rpm one. U got a deal. And yes I also had that gap on the right end. According to my local shop (they installed bunch of rpm spoilers) this is a common fit issue (Especially right edge, shows more gap). I am gonna stop by rpm sometime next week, see if they can fix it or give me a replacement.

btw I saw their retrofit round (d) style steering wheel last time and like how it looks, might pull the trigger on one of leather wrapped next month.

Looks really nice. Did you wait few hours or 1 day to start taking the car out to drive. I am gonna do same thing but wondering if it will bond well in winter.

Looks really nice. Did you wait few hours or 1 day to start taking the car out to drive. I am gonna do same thing but wondering if it will bond well in winter.
I stuck the spoiler on a Saturday afternoon (with adhesive promoter and some Chinese knockoff brand of 3m tape that came with the spoiler), let it sit overnight. Then on Sunday afternoon, applied RTV black silicone along about 3 inches of both edges to “seal” where it wasn’t sitting fully flush, like Propilot suggested.

My garage isn’t heated and it was 3-6 degrees C last weekend. Left the car in the garage until Tuesday before driving.

Did a Toronto to Montreal drive yesterday, the thing is still stuck on firmly so hopefully I’m good to go now :)

Attachments

• 468FB1FD-954F-4C9C-ADC4-2997379487A3.jpeg
    468FB1FD-954F-4C9C-ADC4-2997379487A3.jpeg
    589.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 5C8AC084-C025-47B9-A9BB-6332454B2F72.jpeg
    5C8AC084-C025-47B9-A9BB-6332454B2F72.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 3D3B033E-0F17-4B5C-B456-3A9C4A7D1A9B.jpeg
    3D3B033E-0F17-4B5C-B456-3A9C4A7D1A9B.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 9B217AB7-5580-4681-A596-C92792420847.jpeg
    9B217AB7-5580-4681-A596-C92792420847.jpeg
    598.7 KB · Views: 227

I bought a similar one (looks identical, but could have come from a different Chinese plant) on ebay for $128, but it didn't include any tape or promoter. Getting ready to install this weekend now that temps are warming up. I was just going to use the standard 3M tape (with the red backing material) and stick it on, but I'm curious about the adhesive promoter. Is that something you spray on the car to make the tape stick better? Curious if it can be bought at Home Depot or something.

Also, I'm a little concerned that the underside of the spoiler is so rough (unfinished CF with no phenolic). Did you put tape on both the top and back surfaces? I was only planning on applying it to the top, but might need to do both to avoid contact with the paint.

I bought a similar one (looks identical, but could have come from a different Chinese plant) on ebay for $128, but it didn't include any tape or promoter. Getting ready to install this weekend now that temps are warming up. I was just going to use the standard 3M tape (with the red backing material) and stick it on, but I'm curious about the adhesive promoter. Is that something you spray on the car to make the tape stick better? Curious if it can be bought at Home Depot or something.

Also, I'm a little concerned that the underside of the spoiler is so rough (unfinished CF with no phenolic). Did you put tape on both the top and back surfaces? I was only planning on applying it to the top, but might need to do both to avoid contact with the paint.
The instructions on my spoiler said to use the wider 3M tape (~1.5-2CM width) on the edge that sticks to the top of the trunk, and the thinner 3M tape (~1CM width) on the edge that sticks to the vertical trunk surface where the Tesla logo is.

I actually couldn't find adhesive promoter at Home Depot, but they have 5-packs for sale on Amazon for like $11 or less. They come in little pouches like those alcohol wipe pouches, and is just a wet paper that you wipe along the surfaces you want to adhere. I applied it under the spoiler (promotes 3M tape to it) and also on the trunk (my car is ceramic coated so definitely needed it). Just be careful when you apply it, the stuff can etch the spoiler (I have a small fingerprint etch on the surface of my spoiler because I grabbed it while my hands were wet with the adhesive promoter.

I suggest you apply tape on all edges to "seal" the spoiler a bit. Some of us also applied RTV black silicone to further seal off the edges, as you'll likely have end parts that dont sit fully flush.

• Helpful
Reactions: Neon001