Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rookie question here. So I got a generic one from ebay (~$150 w/ shipping), bought some extra 1/2 inch VHB 3M tapes, and adhesive promoter (3M 4298) and I am ready to go. Now my question is, where do you apply the adhesive promoter? a) b/w the spoiler and the tape or b) b/w the tape and the trunk, or c) both? My guess is it's a) but want to confirm first.

Also, ebay gave me a small pack of adhesive primer 94 - I am trying to decide whether I should use the 3M 4298 adhesive promoter instead, or maybe both?

Rookie question here. So I got a generic one from ebay (~$150 w/ shipping), bought some extra 1/2 inch VHB 3M tapes, and adhesive promoter (3M 4298) and I am ready to go. Now my question is, where do you apply the adhesive promoter? a) b/w the spoiler and the tape or b) b/w the tape and the trunk, or c) both? My guess is it's a) but want to confirm first.

Also, ebay gave me a small pack of adhesive primer 94 - I am trying to decide whether I should use the 3M 4298 adhesive promoter instead, or maybe both?
Apply the promoter under the spoiler where you will apply the double sided tape.

Next, use painters tape to cover your trunk, forming an outline where the spoiler will be, and apply the adhesive promoter on the trunk as well.

I used the generic primer that came with my eBay spoiler, and also sealed the two ends with black silicone, been 1k kms, rain and snow, two car washes, and the thing is on solid.

I did it! I didn't have a problem w/ rising edges but I noticed there are sections on top where there's not a complete seal (I can fit a very thin piece of paper underneath a couple of areas). That's what I get for picking a cheap one off ebay lol. I am not worried about it falling off as I applied plenty of 1/2 inch tape all over the back side of the spoiler, but given the overall bowl shape formed by the trunk and the spoiler, I do worry dust/debris/elements will erode the top part of the seal over time. So what I did was applying a layer of RTV silicone along the full top side of the spoiler.

1648746871062.png

1648746908830.png

1648746960848.png

1648746991744.png

1648747502127.png

Reactions: Proppilot