Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk vs Frunk which is more secure in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the power frunk is so amazingly awesome then I am at a loss on why Tesla has not made it a standard feature.
You could probably ask the same about HomeLink, rear cross traffic alerts, 3D view, auto-presenting door handles, etc. The value depends on how much you use the frunk. The actual installation is much easier than it looks in the videos - truly the worst part is replacing the struts because there is no room for your arms.

Reactions: DrGriz and yellowr6
The power frunk is great until it doesn't work or there's a glitch. I have read threads where folks are locked out of their power frunk.
That's really a bigger reason I'm not doing it than the actual install. Your power frunk stops working and you get to spend hours troubleshooting it and/or getting replacement parts... assuming the replacement parts for the version you have are still even available.

I had really been hoping that Tesla would at least offer a factory install option by now even if it was expensive. At least then you know you are getting decent quality components that they have tested... maybe the fact that they haven't tells us what we need to know.

Agreed. Im also paranoid of denting the hood. my first LR Y, I didn’t have it for 30k miles. Didn’t use my frunk Much. Probably only stored emergency stuff in there or for road trips. if I look hard enough, I see a tiny dent. 😬. Sold it and upgrade to the MYP.

yes. Hardest part is to install the two struts, so little space to fit ur hand and arm into the bottom.

Also agreed to the warranty issue , depend on the SC who’s working on ur car and depending on what’s the issue u trying to fix. Anything related to the hood, latch or struts, GL! I would remove it before going into service.

Disclaimer. Had my hanshow for Almost a year now and i installed my own. 20k miles and I used it daily. I had to replaced two suction lock “motor” already. It’s just a black box that control the locking mechanism. It’s a free warranty replacement and takes about 15 min to do. Hanshow only communicate from whatsup app and from china. So their English is so so, depending on who u talk to. I also waited 2-3 weeks for replacement part.

so yea, if u not handy and not patience, don’t do it! Since I’m handy and understand how the system works, it’s worth my time.

Still trying to figure out why everyone is so scared of closing the frunk. You can either do it exactly as the manual says with 2 hands or just gently push it to latch with one hand. I understand it’s not the most structurally sound item, but it’s not a 1/4 inch piece of styrofoam either.

The power frunk is great until it doesn't work or there's a glitch. I have read threads where folks are locked out of their power frunk.

Glitches, yes when the suction lock don’t work. I was pissed when my first one failed. Couldn’t figure out why it won’t lock or “pull down”. Second time, whatever. It’s just the suction box. 🤣

Locked out? Shouldnt bc there’s an emergency backup cable release in the tow hitch cover, if they installed it right.

Still trying to figure out why everyone is so scared of closing the frunk. You can either do it exactly as the manual says with 2 hands or just gently push it to latch with one hand. I understand it’s not the most structurally sound item, but it’s not a 1/4 inch piece of styrofoam either.
Haha - for me, I took delivery of my first Tesla (model S) back in 2017, and back then everyone made a super big deal about exactly how to close it, and they would tell horror stories about what would happen if you didn't do it right. So, in like 5 years of ownership, I think I probably opened it like 5 times. TBH, I think I just kinda forgot about it - there's always plenty of room in the back for my stuff.

On my new model Y, I opened it during delivery just to make sure it worked, and then I was like uh oh, now I have to close it. Lol!

But now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'll use it more often now!

A lot of threads about people slightly denting the frunk or denting it bad enough that they had to have Tesla replace it. The frunk is made of aluminum that's just a bit thicker than a soda can and as such it will very easily dent.

The true solution to auto break-ins is to prosecute the thieves. No security from robbers if they are sanctioned by governments who consider burglers as simple approved distribution of wealth.
I agree, but even when the law was being stringently enforced there were still occasional car break ins.

Certainly this has become a much much bigger problem now than it has been any time I have been alive and I'm kind of old.

A lot of threads about people slightly denting the frunk or denting it bad enough that they had to have Tesla replace it. The frunk is made of aluminum that's just a bit thicker than a soda can and as such it will very easily dent.
I haven't seen any threads like that, about anybody actually causing damage. I've been closing my frunk for 4.5 years (98,500 miles) and I use one hand. No issues or fear of denting it. The aluminum is way thicker than an aluminum can and flexes back into shape.

As long as you are not slamming down the frunk like you would do to a car hood, you will be fine. You just have to press down until it latches. And you don't even need to use two hands like Tesla's instructions show. I push down directly on the T logo with one palm until I hear it click.

Haha - for me, I took delivery of my first Tesla (model S) back in 2017, and back then everyone made a super big deal about exactly how to close it, and they would tell horror stories about what would happen if you didn't do it right. So, in like 5 years of ownership, I think I probably opened it like 5 times. TBH, I think I just kinda forgot about it - there's always plenty of room in the back for my stuff.

On my new model Y, I opened it during delivery just to make sure it worked, and then I was like uh oh, now I have to close it. Lol!

But now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'll use it more often now!
I have a 2019 Model S and the frunk is more solid on the S then the Y. Don’t worry about denting the hood on the S.

There’s also a “a lot” of threads about people with front motor failures and panel gaps. Remember people are reporting when something goes wrong, not the millions of times people have used their frunks without issue. Prior to the Model 3 getting a power trunk, were people scared of closing their trunks manually?

Reactions: Yelobird
When I lived in S.F., my mantra was "leave nothing in the car", not even pocket change. If someone looks in your car, and see's something they want (no matter how inexpensive), they will break it open to take it. I still do that to this day, so my option is take my stuff with me or leave it at home. If I HAVE to occasionally leave anything in the car, it goes in the frunk. And it goes in there long before I arrive at the location. Thieves can get into the trunk so easily these days, that I don't think it can be considered a safe place to leave anything.

Reactions: Kairide
if ur model Y frunk latch is not too tight or set low, it’s much easier to close and push down to lock. The problem with some, it’s set so low, it won’t lock if u don’t use force. I think that’s where the fear comes from. From my experience.

btw. I pair my power frunk with those SEXY BT button and love it. I put it on the driver side door pocket. One click and open the frunk. I won’t need to reach over to the screen or removed my phone to use the app. 😃

If prosecution and incarceration were an effective crime deterrent we’d be the safest country on earth.
Criminals use a basic risk vs reward formula when making the decision to break the law. They might not be aware they are running this calculus but they are.

NYC in the 80s was a crime ridden hell hole, even the "nice" areas. NY cops pretty much looked the other way when it came to things like petty theft, vandalism, etc.... which just emboldened criminals further.

Amazingly when they started to aggressively pursue criminals for even minor crimes (broken windows policing policy) the crime in NYC dropped off a cliff and it actually became a safe city for the most part.

It's up for a debate as to what kind of punishments are appropriate for different types of crimes but the current policy of "no punishment" for "minor crimes" in many major American cities is playing out pretty much exactly the way a person would expect it to. There is more crime, more property crime more violent crime including assaults and more murders.