Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Well Dimensions (for subwoofer install)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone tell me what the trunk's well dimensions are? (I guess this is either for storage or for the "feet" of kids in the rear-facing seats?)

I am curious because I am thinking about retrofitting a subwoofer back there (can't measure myself - I'm 13,306 so won't get my S until April/May/June timeframe). It looks big enough to put at least a single 12". I think this may sound incredibly great, moreso because we already know the shape of the trunk's causing a pressure buffering effect lol

I know the S has a 12V battery and the terminals are behind the nose cone. I am not worried about the power draw since even a 1kw amp's draw is pretty much insignificant to the size of the 85kwh battery. (as discussed in this thread http://www.teslamotors.com/no_NO/forum/forums/it-possible-connect-subwoofers ) . Plus I think amp/subwoofer technology has advanced so much that it really doesn't take much to get awesome bass using very little power. (Kicker IX? it's been a while since I installed a few car audio systems...gotta look around. brief search shows these Kicker IX's may be pretty good).

I also know there's been a few Model S 12V issues, but assuming those kinks get worked out (if they aren't already in the latest software), it still may be worth putting a 1 farad cap back there too to store enough energy so the sub's amp hits the cap and not really the 12V directly.

The remaining questions I can think of are
1) how to run the power/ground lines from the 12V terminals to the trunk
2) how to splice into the audio output lines ( I haven't seen any info on the car's audio system ... where is it even located? )
3) will installing this void the 85kwh battery's warranty?

The opening at the top is 36" x 17", generally about 10"+ deep, has a few odd bumps / indentations on the sides and slightly rounded bottom edges. There is a large bundle of wires going through the trunk floor in the indentation on the right side.

it should be a good place - biggest consern is that everything you get into the back will have to lay dicrectly on top of your 12" sub.

If you buy the sound package, you will get a 580 Watt 7.1 sound system - I don't know where the sub is original located, but If I where to retrofit a 12" sub in the rear, I would investigate to use the already build in amplifyer - simply extend original sub cabels to your custom sub, replacing the original

this way you will be garantied trublefree installation and fully copability with controls - you shold investigate the Impedance of the already build in sub to keep aprox same output level as original.
7.1 at 580 Watt amplifyer- I guess the sub amplifyer have be aprox 160 watt and the 7 others are around 60 watt each, should be sufficient for most in such small room as a car.

I was thinking about using the footwell as a subwoofer placement as well - would be out of the way and you could put a guard on the top of the sub to protect it. Perhaps amp placement could be in the frunk but would need to investigate. Also planning on installing new front speakers and powering with amp and have the same questions as yobigd20 about how to splice into the audio output lines, as this would not be a standard head unit install. I listened to the "enhanced" sound package from Tesla, and was not impressed...thought I could do a lot better for the money.

The upgraded System is 'decent' it hits pretty hard at 10 and isn't too distorted but pretty damn loud. I think there are 2 subs? but not sure.
In my Rav4 I put a sub in the 'footwell' area in the back and used MDF to make a panel/box that faced downwards so the speaker fired into the bottom of the space. That should work Awesome in the S because there is a built-in port on the left side where the charge cable fits

Something you should be aware of is that the voltage tends to be higher in the Tesla's "12v" system, at least if you're trying to use 12v components. I did some measurements today that shows the car (at least as of 1.19.31) has 3 voltages -- 12.8v when the car is in deep sleep, 13.8v when some components are active, and sometimes it's 14.5v (which I suspect is when the 12v battery is being actively charged by the car). While the first two are within spec for most automotive accessories, I'm not sure of the long-term implications of having 14.5v present so often. In an ICE, it's typically only when you're using a microprocessor-controlled battery charger that you see voltages that high.

Something you should be aware of is that the voltage tends to be higher in the Tesla's "12v" system, at least if you're trying to use 12v components. I did some measurements today that shows the car (at least as of 1.19.31) has 3 voltages -- 12.8v when the car is in deep sleep, 13.8v when some components are active, and sometimes it's 14.5v (which I suspect is when the 12v battery is being actively charged by the car). While the first two are within spec for most automotive accessories, I'm not sure of the long-term implications of having 14.5v present so often. In an ICE, it's typically only when you're using a microprocessor-controlled battery charger that you see voltages that high.

This is normal. I had three digital 1-farad caps for the amps in my Camaro and they always read 13.8v under normal conditions. When cars are running, 13.8v-14.4v output is normal for the average car. If there are frequent fluctuations in the 12v battery, adding a farad cap before the amp would actually be very beneficial anyway since they "smooth out" any normal voltage fluctuations.

Older thread, but seemed appropriate place to post this. I wanted to know if you can fit a slim sub underneath the rear facing seats when closed. I just ordered my S85 but won't have it for a couple months and haven't seen a single actual car with the rear facing seats to check myself. Some of the subs out there are only 3" tall so I wanted to know if there was a place to hide them under then seats when folded down or do they completely fill up the trunk well? Given it looks like it's only about 10" deep (from posts above) it's probably unlikely.

I looked at a car at the Tesla Store and it doesn't look like under the front seat is an option as there is a motor right there.