Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk won’t consistently shut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MYP trunk won’t shut all the way. It goes down, attempts to latch itself, but it won’t always successfully latch. The trunk then goes up a couple inches, and sits. It seems like it is afraid or hesitant, and unsure if it should proceed. I can keep opening the trunk, and attempt to close it, but when it doesn’t want to shut - most of these attempts are unsuccessful. But then if I take a drive, and try to open/close the trunk; it shuts fine. When its not shutting properly; I can still shut the trunk by using my hand to press down as it goes to latch.

Has anyone seen this before?

I also noticed the passenger side of the trunk, where it meets the roof, is noticeably lower than the driver side. We never noticed this until now, and aren’t sure if this has happened over time, or if it came that way. Could this have moved over 2-3 months?

Only 3500 miles on the vehicle.

We’ve confirmed the trunk liner is pushed all the way toward the rear seats. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is this a guaranteed service visit?

My MYP trunk won’t shut all the way. It goes down, attempts to latch itself, but it won’t always successfully latch. The trunk then goes up a couple inches, and sits. It seems like it is afraid or hesitant, and unsure if it should proceed. I can keep opening the trunk, and attempt to close it, but when it doesn’t want to shut - most of these attempts are unsuccessful. But then if I take a drive, and try to open/close the trunk; it shuts fine. When its not shutting properly; I can still shut the trunk by using my hand to press down as it goes to latch.

Has anyone seen this before?

I also noticed the passenger side of the trunk, where it meets the roof, is noticeably lower than the driver side. We never noticed this until now, and aren’t sure if this has happened over time, or if it came that way. Could this have moved over 2-3 months?

Only 3500 miles on the vehicle.

We’ve confirmed the trunk liner is pushed all the way toward the rear seats. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is this a guaranteed service visit?
I suggest you contact Tesla via the App and they should be able to trouble shout it for you. Good luck!

Have you checked that the "leather" tab for lifting the floor is not interfering with the latch? I saw this a couple of times when the car was new. The tab laid in the latch pocket preventing the trunk from latching closed.

Reactions: gigawhat?
Have you checked that the "leather" tab for lifting the floor is not interfering with the latch? I saw this a couple of times when the car was new. The tab laid in the latch pocket preventing the trunk from latching closed.

It is a very durable tab. To the best of our ability, we've pushed it out of the way. Although it does appear like it could interfere, still. We've also been making sure the OEM trunk mat is pushed all the way forward. No luck.

Over the past two weeks; the passenger side of the trunk alignment appears off. We suspect this is the root cause. I'm going to look thru photos of when I got the car, because I don't think the alignment was ever this bad.

When we watch the trunk open, it doesn't look like a clean open. It almost seems like the driver side is doing all the work.

I've attached some pictures of this alignment. Notice the trunk and C pillar on the passenger side, in addition to the gap that has formed all along the trunk to quarter panel. Finally, the taillight, quarter panel and trunk alignment where they all meet.

We cannot believe we would miss this at delivery, and not notice it until now. We are convinced it has happened over time.

Passenger side:

PXL_20220531_162415583.jpg
PXL_20220531_162507554.jpg

Driver side:
PXL_20220531_162517269.jpg

PXL_20220531_162444333.jpg