Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trunk won't close or open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird thing started this morning, out of nowhere I can't close or open trunk anymore. It beeps when I try to close it using the button or app or MCU, but trunk does nothing. Manually closing of course works. Opening from closed position also just beeps but nothing happens. MCU reports that it is open when open and closed when closed.
Of course I can set time with SC to diagnose the problem, but if this is something I can fix myself I would rather do that. Any ideas? Car is 2018 MX 100D.
I tried pressing the button non stop, adjusting the height etc. I don't think it is height adjustment issue. Is there a calibration for trunk same as falcon doors?

Update: Mid February Tesla replaced the "main computer" (TLA,AP-TCONN-T,MCU-A,NA,M3). That cleared up all the issues. Now 3 months later the same problems have starting up again. Started getting notices that Sentry mode turned off due to error, then few days later backup cam stopped working, cruise control and autopilot no longer work, dash cam intermittent failures. Service center appointment set now for end of the month.

I just ordered a Garmin Mini2 dash cam to permanently mount in the car. Lost trust in reliability of Tesla cams. Having an accident without a working dash cam can cost you a fortune so I'm installing one of the more unobtrusive cams I could find that isn't junk. Sigh.

I know you're writing about a Model X, but the entire suite of problems you've described sounds very similar to a common problem on the Model S, where the liftgate cinching actuator gets broken somehow (I see where @OlderThanDirt mentioned this above). On the Model S, this can cause all kinds of other problems like what you're seeing with TACC, AP, and other seemingly unrelated systems because the car thinks the liftgate is open when it's really closed. Not sure if this problem is applicable or not, but it might be something to look into.

Bruce.