Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk won't open from screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since 2021.22.x, I've noticed that I cannot open my trunk from the screen. It opens just fine if I do it physically. Has anyone else noticed this? I have mobile service coming next week for a different issue, but I was just wondering if this is a widespread issue.

Since your original post indicates this problem first occurred after a new update, I'm wondering if a hard reboot of the car is needed.

This article indicates how to do it, but I don't know if Tesla keeps tabs on users messing with the car.

For example; in my old ICE cars I often tuned them, and they could definitely tell if I had overwritten the tune on the car & I've been denied warranty work for it once before. Would Tesla do the same if you unplugged the "header" shown here? If you have Tesla service just use that and save the headache.

Since your original post indicates this problem first occurred after a new update, I'm wondering if a hard reboot of the car is needed.

This article indicates how to do it, but I don't know if Tesla keeps tabs on users messing with the car.

For example; in my old ICE cars I often tuned them, and they could definitely tell if I had overwritten the tune on the car & I've been denied warranty work for it once before. Would Tesla do the same if you unplugged the "header" shown here? If you have Tesla service just use that and save the headache.
I always do a reboot - brakes and scroll wheels - after each update. I also verified today that I could open the trunk with the app. I'll just ask the service guy on Monday.

I have a 2018 Model 3 and have been running into the problem intermittently for the last month or so. Opening the truck also always works from the app. I always do scroll wheel reboots, plus the service menu power down after each firmware update.

Made an appointment with mobile service and they indicated that my screen protector (tempered glass, 9H) might be causing the problem. In my case when I press the Trunk icon, the text changes colour as it normally would when it works. Mobile service mentioned that you can press the Trunk icon, slide your finger to a different part of the screen and the trunk will not open. They said the screen protector might be causing the same effect to happen.

I provided timestamps and asked if they get coordinate events in the logs to confirm that the finger down event location matches the finger up event location, but unfortunately they said coordinates are not recorded (which surprised me).

They wanted me to remove the screen and test it, but I haven't yet done that. Fortunately, I haven't seen the problem in the last week so I've delayed the service appointment and am really hoping that the problem has just gone away as mysteriously as it appeared. :)

As an aside, last spring I could only open the trunk from the screen or the app, but not using the latch on the trunk. The trunk harness was replaced at that time to fix that problem.

I have a 2018 Model 3 and have been running into the problem intermittently for the last month or so. Opening the truck also always works from the app. I always do scroll wheel reboots, plus the service menu power down after each firmware update.

Made an appointment with mobile service and they indicated that my screen protector (tempered glass, 9H) might be causing the problem. In my case when I press the Trunk icon, the text changes colour as it normally would when it works. Mobile service mentioned that you can press the Trunk icon, slide your finger to a different part of the screen and the trunk will not open. They said the screen protector might be causing the same effect to happen.

I provided timestamps and asked if they get coordinate events in the logs to confirm that the finger down event location matches the finger up event location, but unfortunately they said coordinates are not recorded (which surprised me).

They wanted me to remove the screen and test it, but I haven't yet done that. Fortunately, I haven't seen the problem in the last week so I've delayed the service appointment and am really hoping that the problem has just gone away as mysteriously as it appeared. :)

As an aside, last spring I could only open the trunk from the screen or the app, but not using the latch on the trunk. The trunk harness was replaced at that time to fix that problem.
That's really strange. I've had the same screen protector for 3.5 years with no problem, and everything else works. I wonder if this is in any way related to the rear camera issue. I don't know why it would be, but it's just a thought.

I was actually experiencing this issue this weekend and I think it might be related to the new option to only "unlock driver door" when unlocking the vehicle. Do you have that option enabled? I think it might be a bug related to that unlock setting.

My workaround was to press the lock above the car and press unlock again and then I was able to tap the Open Trunk and it worked.

Reactions: LSHM3
I was actually experiencing this issue this weekend and I think it might be related to the new option to only "unlock driver door" when unlocking the vehicle. Do you have that option enabled? I think it might be a bug related to that unlock setting.

My workaround was to press the lock above the car and press unlock again and then I was able to tap the Open Trunk and it worked.
Thanks, I'll check that out. I do have "unlock driver door" enabled, and you have essentially the same model car as I do. If that is in fact the case, I'll just deal with it. If I have to choose between the two, I'll take the driver door option.

Reactions: follow.johnny

I think I had the problem even before the "unlock driver door" option was available, but yes, I was seeing the problem with both "unlock driver door" disabled and also enabled (I currently have it set to disabled). I also had the car unlocked and did mess with toggling the lock/unlock icon while trying to figure out what was causing the problem.

Again, it's an intermittent problem for me but is working fine today again... Touch wood.

By the way, when I was having the problem, it was only with the Trunk icon and nothing else, including the installed apps. For instance, I tried going into Trax to see if there were any issues with tapping the screen in the same spot where the Trunk icon is and didn't see any problems so that leads me to believe it's not an issue with the screen protector which has been installed for about 3.5 years and is clean with no bubbles or scratches.

Reactions: follow.johnny
I haven't seen any answer to my comment... are you pressing on the car's trunk/frunk or are you pressing on the texts around the car? I believe the texts are what execute the commands...
If you are asking me, yes, I press on the text. The "Trunk" text always flashes when I press it, though sometimes the trunk doesn't open. I haven't had any issues with opening the frunk, only the trunk.

And gain, it's intermittent for me, sometimes the trunk opens, sometimes it doesn't. I'd rather it would fail completely which makes it easier to troubleshoot. :)

Reactions: GtiMart
Thanks for answering. Sometimes we're just not careful, we have fat fingers, and we press "somewhere around there"... I was just wondering if you were being careful that's all. I see you are. For me, this was the issue, I was used to press closer to the car and that stopped working in some update.