Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk wouldn't latch -solved (kind of)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps just get new ones. The latches are made by Ford and still available online NOS. Here's one on eBay (in the UK):

Genuine New Ford Ka MK1 Tailgate Lock Latch- Manual | eBay

Pretty sure the same latches are used for the hood as well. No idea what the various designations, but here are the stamped digits:

97KG
B43012-AD
DTSGC

s-l1600.jpg

Mines in the shop right now for this very problem. They’ve replaced so many parts, but the problem seems to be the cable. A bracket appears to have broken, causing increased pressure on the latch release and preventing the latch from resetting. It’s taken 4 months so far to get parts. Hopefully they’ll be able to fix it this time.

Mines in the shop right now for this very problem. They’ve replaced so many parts, but the problem seems to be the cable. A bracket appears to have broken, causing increased pressure on the latch release and preventing the latch from resetting. It’s taken 4 months so far to get parts. Hopefully they’ll be able to fix it this time.
Mine also seems to be the cable, it seems a little slack as when it’s held taught it releases ok but otherwise it won’t release the catch on the drivers side.

I wonder if it’s the same issue.
How did you access the broken bracket?

Mine also seems to be the cable, it seems a little slack as when it’s held taught it releases ok but otherwise it won’t release the catch on the drivers side.

I wonder if it’s the same issue.
How did you access the broken bracket?
There were some parts that the technician could access without removing anything, and other parts where he had to remove the trunk and rear bumper. I don’t have the car back yet.

Just a thought to add to this thread. Until last year I would on occasion have difficulty popping the rear trunk with the latches not reliably releasing. Then I replaced the trunk struts with replacement gas struts part no. D4247 that are in stock at Advance Auto (see these postings: trunk lid lift supports and trunk lid lift supports). Since replacing both struts, my trunk authoritatively pops open each time. So, if your trunk is opening rather anemically or occasionally sticks , it may be time to get new struts,

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak