Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trust broken - Tesla doesn't honor what it says

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have spoken to three customer service reps, sent two customer service and two referral e-mails, and had one chat session since ordering my vehicle. Basically, all were inquiries that I had forgotten to use the referral link and wanted to know if it could be added. I called the day after the initial order and was told it was possible. I also received this same message from the customer service reps, hearing nothing from the referral group.

SO, the day prior to purchase, I chatted with Jill (see below). Jill indicates she'll contact the referral group herself. She then chats back, "Absolutely your delivery person can add this to your Order!" So, I'm feeling good about things. Sent an e-mail to David Parson, the delivery support person in Las Vegas with a screen shot of the chat indicating the referral could be added. He ignores.

Go in for delivery... of course, they were not ready. Said the notary was not there, but in-the-mean-time had me speak with a very nice young man, Desmond, where I told him the whole referral situation. Showed him the screen shot of what the chat person Jill had indicated... he said Tesla will honor what they say. Then finally the notary arrives and there are all kinds of delays... car not charged, software not working to close paperwork, and who know what else was going on.

At any rate, yesterday, three weeks and four days after inquiring, out of the blue, the referral is refused. I show them the screen shot of what the chat person said their referral department told them to relay to me. Russ T, Referral Support in Draper, UT says they aren't going to honor what was communicated and, "Thank you for being part of the Tesla family." LOL

Tesla's customer service, delivery, and referral areas are in need of training to provide a fair and equitable process for all owners. Love the car, but my experience here tells me the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Free Supercharger Miles

Chat session:

• · J

Hello my name is Jill and I will be assisting you today.

Me

· Good morning Jill

· I don't know if you've seen what I'm inquiring about... do I need to rehash?

9:00 AM

· Well... this is my dilemma...

9:01 AM

· This is my third try at getting a response to my referral, Free Supercharger Miles, applied. I'm supposed to pick up my vehicle tomorrow, but won't be able to as this has not happened. Have previously spoke with three reps, my delivery person, and sent two e-mails to the referral people over these last 10 day. My reservation is RN109357543. Please help!

9:01 AM

· ... Oh and my delivery is supposed to be tomorrow, but I'll have to reschedule due to waiting for this to be applied...

9:03 AM

· J

I am assuming you have reached out to your delivery advisor correct?

Me

· Yes, which he told me to e-mail the referral folks, which I have, twice to no avail.

9:04 AM

· I also e-mailed him today, saying I'll need to reschedule if this isn't resolved.

· ... haven

· haven't gotten a reply as of yet, but it's early in the day

9:05 AM

· his name is David Parson... in Dallas, TX

9:06 AM

· J

· I am email the Referral Team as we speak. One moment.

9:08 AM

· Thanks... this has been really trying...

9:08 AM

· J

· I can well imagine. I have marked my communication as Urgent

9:11 AM

· J

Is there anything else I can Is there anything help you with today?

Me

· This is the most pressing. Think the delivery person can assist with my car operation questions.

· This is stressful. I got this as a b-day gift and I don't want any regrets...

9:13 AM

· J

Absolutely your delivery person can add this to your Order!

Me

· He can add the referral>

· ?

9:14 AM

· J

Yes he can.... I can't understand why they haven't done this for you yet. That's why I am assuming you have reached out to your delivery advisor correct?

Me

9:15 AM

· Yes... he contacted me Monday about delivery. Don't know why he told me to email referral...

· Is there a way to get an e-mail I can show to him that he can make this adjustment?

9:17 AM

· J

I do not have an email. I would ask to speak to his Supervisor.

Me

· Will there be a note on my account that I spoke to you and it can be noted?

· J

We have every communication recorded

Me

9:18 AM

· ... but will it show the outcome or just note we chatted?

9:19 AM

· J

Our communication.

Me

9:20 AM

· So, just that we chatted...

9:21 AM

· J

I shows the action I have taken in sending an email to the Referral team. Your records will reflect ALL the communication we have made.

Me

9:22 AM

· okay... one moment...

9:23 AM

· Sorry, I'm at work and was interrupted. Okay, will let him know how this is to be resolved.

9:27 AM

· J

Is there anything else I can Is there anything help you with today?

Me

· No, think that is it - Thank you!

9:28 AM

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and Drax
The referral department seems to be tripping over pennies lately. You are not the first to complain about this. I was so skeptical about getting the bonus miles that i refused delivery until they put something in writing signed by a manager stating I would get the miles.

I can’t tell from your post but I’m assuming you already took delivery of your car? If so, I wouldn’t give up but you will need to reach someone at Tesla who can do something about it. You could always try disputing the $2,500 you put on your credit card just to get their attention. Sorry to hear you are having this experience. Tesla makes great cars, but they don’t always provide great service.

LOL thats a first. Not taking delivery because of a mistake YOU made when you placed your order. Stop wasting everyone’s time.

Correction, there’s two of you.

Evidently, you didn't read the entire post, so, stop wasting everyone's time with YOUR lack of comprehension.

I would have canceled and reordered had I been told from the very start, that day after I ordered, this was not possible. After being told by multiple reps it was possible, how is that my mistake? Know you're probably a Tesla fanatic, but get real.

The referral department seems to be tripping over pennies lately. You are not the first to complain about this. I was so skeptical about getting the bonus miles that i refused delivery until they put something in writing signed by a manager stating I would get the miles.

I can’t tell from your post but I’m assuming you already took delivery of your car? If so, I wouldn’t give up but you will need to reach someone at Tesla who can do something about it. You could always try disputing the $2,500 you put on your credit card just to get their attention. Sorry to hear you are having this experience. Tesla makes great cars, but they don’t always provide great service.
I would have not taken delivery, but after the chat person came across so confidently, I felt since it was in writing, Tesla would do what they said. Wish I would have had your advice sooner.

This thread is not about the mistake it's about Tesla not honouring what they said they'd do.
There is quite a bit of difference between "not honouring" something that is part of their policy, and this, which I think amounts to one rep that probably misspoke AGAINST what is clearly their policy and making a big deal of it.

When I ordered I wasn't aware of the referral (which are kind of available to anyone ordering given how many people post them for anyone to use), I'd configured but not put in my deposit when I learned of it here. I picked some random guy in Vancouver, as a fellow Canadian, and reconfigured and deposited with his code. Unfortunately it didn't go though, seems common, but it was the advisor that picked that up, and told me of my options - that there's no way for them to add the code after order on there end, but that I could refund my deposit and get the referral if I wanted. Wasn't worth the effort given I expect to charge from home and the amount I'd use in six months before expiry would amount to much less than the miles.

Sometimes it seems some people get so wrapped up around small issues with this process and then crap on Tesla for it. While certainly one hopes they will improve their customer service, I remember the crappy interest and attitudes I got from Nissan, Honda and Kia when I was looking at their EV offerings, at least Tesla seems to want to sell their EVs!

Evidently, you didn't read the entire post, so, stop wasting everyone's time with YOUR lack of comprehension.

I would have canceled and reordered had I been told from the very start, that day after I ordered, this was not possible. After being told by multiple reps it was possible, how is that my mistake? Know you're probably a Tesla fanatic, but get real.

There is a small but vocal group of members on this forum who post things that don’t add any value and just serve to flame anyone who they disagree with. I can see that you are new here so if you’ll allow me to offer you some advice, just learn to ignore people who respond with things that are rude or inappropriate and you’ll find that the majority of forum members are here to help each other out and make your ownership experience more enjoyable.

You clearly did everything right here. Tesla is just being Tesla. Great cars, not always great service.

I’ve referred two friends and didn’t use one on my purchase.

I got the miles for one and not for the other. It’s annoying and I wish I had the miles, but it doesn’t really change my car and the value it brings me.

I hope they get it sorted out for you but more importantly don’t let it ruin you car experience.

Reactions: SMAlset
There is quite a bit of difference between "not honouring" something that is part of their policy, and this, which I think amounts to one rep that probably misspoke AGAINST what is clearly their policy and making a big deal of it.

When I ordered I wasn't aware of the referral (which are kind of available to anyone ordering given how many people post them for anyone to use), I'd configured but not put in my deposit when I learned of it here. I picked some random guy in Vancouver, as a fellow Canadian, and reconfigured and deposited with his code. Unfortunately it didn't go though, seems common, but it was the advisor that picked that up, and told me of my options - that there's no way for them to add the code after order on there end, but that I could refund my deposit and get the referral if I wanted. Wasn't worth the effort given I expect to charge from home and the amount I'd use in six months before expiry would amount to much less than the miles.

Sometimes it seems some people get so wrapped up around small issues with this process and then crap on Tesla for it. While certainly one hopes they will improve their customer service, I remember the crappy interest and attitudes I got from Nissan, Honda and Kia when I was looking at their EV offerings, at least Tesla seems to want to sell their EVs!
The funny thing is the rep that you seem to think misspoke indicated they contacted the referral group themselves. They then told me what the referral group told them... so, the rep communicated the referral group speaking against their policy. LOL

There is a small but vocal group of members on this forum who post things that don’t add any value and just serve to flame anyone who they disagree with. I can see that you are new here so if you’ll allow me to offer you some advice, just learn to ignore people who respond with things that are rude or inappropriate and you’ll find that the majority of forum members are here to help each other out and make your ownership experience more enjoyable.

You clearly did everything right here. Tesla is just being Tesla. Great cars, not always great service.
Thanks for the advice!

Nobody mentioned that Tesla does make the ordering process seem very simple but the referral code IIRC needs to be added before completing the order form because once that is complete they typically refuse to allow one to be added. I can see the logic but really this is an unnecessary irritant to buyers.

Tesla should definitely fix this issue forthwith!

• Helpful
Reactions: MrG_NY
The funny thing is the rep that you seem to think misspoke indicated they contacted the referral group themselves. They then told me what the referral group told them... so, the rep communicated the referral group speaking against their policy. LOL
Yea, don't misread me, I'm not suggesting that you don't have reason to be irritated by this! I'm just saying maybe don't let it be a "Trust broken" .. prevents you from enjoying what you got over a few bucks of supercharging. Service should be good, accurate and consistent. But high growth rate companies often have similar issues. "Holding resentment is like drinking poison and hoping the other person dies" is all I was thinking.

Reactions: M109Rider
OP Tesla was making exceptions from what I've seen here on the forum. The policy has always been that the referral code had to be entered at time of ordering not later. However I think what happened in your case and probably for many others now in the same boat, that Elon has been trimming costs and these referral discounts (and let's face it I'm sure there are many who asked for one after the fact despite not actually having one at the time they ordered but saw a way to grab one off the internet from some unknown person they never met or talked to just to save some money), well they are now all being reviewed personally by him from what I understand. So chances are he's trying to be fair (which I think he does try to be) and just is sticking by the rules on this issue. Unfair in some respects and I get your point about had you known you would have cancelled your order and replaced it.

Yea, don't misread me, I'm not suggesting that you don't have reason to be irritated by this! I'm just saying maybe don't let it be a "Trust broken" .. prevents you from enjoying what you got over a few bucks of supercharging. Service should be good, accurate and consistent. But high growth rate companies often have similar issues. "Holding resentment is like drinking poison and hoping the other person dies" is all I was thinking.
I agree.

The referral system is a sh*t show. I had a similar experience. In my case I just forgot to add the referral. I called up Tesla and the rep said they “should” be able to add it to the order. I figured it wasn’t worth the hassle so I canceled the order and placed another one immediately afterward using the referral link.

I then got 5,000 miles instead of the expected 1,000 miles because Tesla again messed up and based the referral on DELIVERY date, not ORDER date like their terms stated. Worked out in my favor. But I know for a fact that it didn’t work out in others’ favors (I know showroom guys).

Sigh.

Last edited:
Elon likes offering the referrals. He does like the idea of rewarding in some way people who help further sales and the ZEV cause. Some will remember back before I think Model 3s came out he made a public statement about what he felt were people abusing the system, think it had to do with advertising. Said to play fair. I can see the point of denying referrals after the fact as you don’t really know if people came to buy their car as an actual referral from someone or not. At one point they pulled referral bonus but then later added some back.