TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trying to be a polite Tesla Model 3 driver but ICE cars are soooo slow!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Aieukl378, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Aieukl378

Aieukl378 Closed

I didn't notice this as much when driving my S but the Model 3 just wants to go...NOW! ICE cars are so friggin slow getting up to speed I find my self tailgating and swearing about slow ICE cars. This is really not appropriate driving behavior and for now I need to accept the fact that most cars on the road are "slow ass" ICE cars. Anyone else feel this way?

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 6
    • Love x 6
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

You'll get used to not being able to floor it from every red light.

3. KenF

KenF Member

Now you have an incentive to stop at yellow lights. :)

• Funny x 9
    • Like x 8
  4. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

That’s why I leave the “Since last start” card up and I look at my energy used. That keeps me from pushing the car and try and cruise more I’m like crap I’m using 700Wh/mi!??? That’ll slow you down. LoL

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. mekberg

mekberg Member

When you are stuck behind a minivan at an on-ramp.
    picard-facepalm.jpg

• Funny x 12
    • Love x 2
  6. JulienW

JulienW Member

Slow people will dive slow even if they were driving a Rimac.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. judyjetson

judyjetson Member

I'm running into a lot of slow Model 3 drivers in the fast lane. i had my suspicions this might happen when i found an article last month stating that one of the top 5 cars turned in for the Model 3 was the Prius. I'm convinced these half-breed converts will also bring over their terrible driving habits and have made it my personal mission to always drive a little faster than the flow of traffic to offset the Prius converts.

8. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

@KenF I used to loath stopping at red lights when I drove gas cars. Now with EVs, I actually like stopping and getting to accelerate again.

For fun, I will often try and accelerate the same as the gas car next to me when we are first in line at a light. After the first 2 seconds, I can't take it anymore and I pull-away. The thing I noticed too is that when accelerating the same as them, as soon as they shift gears, they drop-back a lot. It's so hard to accelerate slowly in an EV. Just look in your rear view mirror next time you pull-away at a light and the cars are always 100's of yards back in a few seconds and this is with normal "light" acceleration.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  9. AviP

AviP Member

The right lane is the fast lane these days on any day in the northeast US. I see drivers regularly turn into the left lane with nobody ahead of them in the right lane. It makes no sense but that's the new culture. And most of the times, they are not millenials but folks 30 and above.

I think the main reason for it is that they are usually on their phones and do not want to be bothered with distracting lane changes everytime they want to pass somebody.

• Like x 2
  10. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

There's a long, gently winding entrance ramp near me that is a perfect Tesla opportunity; however, too often a slow moving sh*t wagon will pull in front of me as the ramp begins, forcing me to creep all the way up to the tollway. Ugh.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. alfadur

alfadur Member

I was thinking about this over the weekend. The biggest downside of a Model 3 is that I rarely have a straightaway to gun it without breaking the speed limit almost immediately hah. Plus, when I do get going, there are ALWAYS slow cars in front of me.

On a positive note, sitting in erratic traffic is stressing me out way less than it used to, thanks to Auto Steer :D

• Like x 3
  12. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I feel the exact same way! Just yesterday, I was stuck behind a slow mustang that was accelerating slowly in the on-ramp while making lots of dramatic noise. Same goes for pick ups around here.

They're like babies crawling slowly and crying loudly.

• Funny x 6
    • Love x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  13. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

just be aware that your tires are going to wear down really fast if you do lots of stoplight launches. I don't do a lot of them and I can already see that my rear treads are shallower than the fronts. 6000 miles now.

• Like x 2
  14. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Member

Why on earth could Model 3 insurance rates be higher than average?? :p

• Funny x 1
  15. SteveTack

SteveTack Member

I'm kind of the opposite, and I have a P. If there's clear road ahead, OK it's on. But in traffic, I find it pretty easy to just chill out. I definitely don't tailgate, that's super uncool.

• Like x 3
  16. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

I find the TACC is excellent to prevent tailgating. Just turn it on and it keeps you at a safe distance. You can still accelerate to pass but it's best to keep your distance otherwise. Lots of erratic drivers out there.

• Like x 1
  17. Sandollars

Sandollars I bleed Cardinal

Just a word to the wise: Don't exceed 90 MPH in Autopilot or all the fun is over.... :)

18. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

I do find myself zipping through slow traffic a little more. I love that it's so easy (and silent) and fun to get around the slower cars. It's also equally fun just going with the flow and knowing that the car is faster (and cleaner) then everything around.

Disclaimer: Please use your turn indicator responsibly, and often. We can all at least be "polite" about changing lanes frequently.

• Like x 5
  19. RayW

RayW Irritated

Totally agree.... ICE cars should be restricted to the two rightmost lanes, like trucks. That will surely accelerate the EV adoption rate.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
    • Funny x 1
  20. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Missed encounter - Model S P90D in Irvine

^^^^ I complained about slow Tesla's here. LOL

No, I believe you are doing it wrong.

Everyone else is seeing my particular Tesla hit 4 green lights in a row while they are trapped behind the red.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1