Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to be a polite Tesla Model 3 driver but ICE cars are soooo slow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't notice this as much when driving my S but the Model 3 just wants to go...NOW! ICE cars are so friggin slow getting up to speed I find my self tailgating and swearing about slow ICE cars. This is really not appropriate driving behavior and for now I need to accept the fact that most cars on the road are "slow ass" ICE cars. Anyone else feel this way?

When you are stuck behind a minivan at an on-ramp.
picard-facepalm.jpg

I'm running into a lot of slow Model 3 drivers in the fast lane. i had my suspicions this might happen when i found an article last month stating that one of the top 5 cars turned in for the Model 3 was the Prius. I'm convinced these half-breed converts will also bring over their terrible driving habits and have made it my personal mission to always drive a little faster than the flow of traffic to offset the Prius converts.

@KenF I used to loath stopping at red lights when I drove gas cars. Now with EVs, I actually like stopping and getting to accelerate again.

For fun, I will often try and accelerate the same as the gas car next to me when we are first in line at a light. After the first 2 seconds, I can't take it anymore and I pull-away. The thing I noticed too is that when accelerating the same as them, as soon as they shift gears, they drop-back a lot. It's so hard to accelerate slowly in an EV. Just look in your rear view mirror next time you pull-away at a light and the cars are always 100's of yards back in a few seconds and this is with normal "light" acceleration.

I'm running into a lot of slow Model 3 drivers in the fast lane. i had my suspicions this might happen when i found an article last month stating that one of the top 5 cars turned in for the Model 3 was the Prius. I'm convinced these half-breed converts will also bring over their terrible driving habits and have made it my personal mission to always drive a little faster than the flow of traffic to offset the Prius converts.
The right lane is the fast lane these days on any day in the northeast US. I see drivers regularly turn into the left lane with nobody ahead of them in the right lane. It makes no sense but that's the new culture. And most of the times, they are not millenials but folks 30 and above.

I think the main reason for it is that they are usually on their phones and do not want to be bothered with distracting lane changes everytime they want to pass somebody.

I was thinking about this over the weekend. The biggest downside of a Model 3 is that I rarely have a straightaway to gun it without breaking the speed limit almost immediately hah. Plus, when I do get going, there are ALWAYS slow cars in front of me.

On a positive note, sitting in erratic traffic is stressing me out way less than it used to, thanks to Auto Steer :D

I'm kind of the opposite, and I have a P. If there's clear road ahead, OK it's on. But in traffic, I find it pretty easy to just chill out. I definitely don't tailgate, that's super uncool.
I find the TACC is excellent to prevent tailgating. Just turn it on and it keeps you at a safe distance. You can still accelerate to pass but it's best to keep your distance otherwise. Lots of erratic drivers out there.

Reactions: davedavedave
I do find myself zipping through slow traffic a little more. I love that it's so easy (and silent) and fun to get around the slower cars. It's also equally fun just going with the flow and knowing that the car is faster (and cleaner) then everything around.

Disclaimer: Please use your turn indicator responsibly, and often. We can all at least be "polite" about changing lanes frequently.

Missed encounter - Model S P90D in Irvine

^^^^ I complained about slow Tesla's here. LOL

@KenF I used to loath stopping at red lights when I drove gas cars. Now with EVs, I actually like stopping and getting to accelerate again.

No, I believe you are doing it wrong.

Everyone else is seeing my particular Tesla hit 4 green lights in a row while they are trapped behind the red.

• Love
Reactions: hoang51 and Pkmmte