Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to buy a loaner car has been rediculous for me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cyclone, Tamar... I've been in discussions with both of you as I've purchased a total now of 3 inventory cars in a period of roughly 90-days. I know you've both also reached out to my local Store Manager and discussed options for what is out there. I hope you're both able to find the car you're looking for, at the price that makes sense to you. One thing I really feel one needs to consider is that it is crucial you find the car you want, and will enjoy the longest. Rushing into a car because the price seems right but it lacks an option you want can cause a headache (as my first car did lacking autopilot and dual motor). Hence why 90-days later I took a loss to trade in for the 85D.

Anyhow, I think you guys might be over-thinking the future of the Inventory and CPO program. While I do think Tesla is going to have less inventory cars moving forward because of ramping up production for the Model X, it seems extremely unlikely that there will be that much different of a turn-over cycle. The local store here in Cleveland has nearly 20 CPO cars on the lot already, but not a single one has been inspected nor certified and readied for sale. However, CPO vs Inventory are two very different animals.

Tesla will continue to need service loaners, test drive cars, and showroom floor cars. Unless Tesla decides to keep those cars longer and eventually sell them off as CPO/used cars, then the fact remains there WILL be inventory cars in the future just like there are right now. The only ways that inventory cars would thin in numbers would mean a few possibilities: first off, that Tesla will cease to offer as many service loaners (i.e.: maybe only for cars that require service beyond a single work-day), or perhaps those loaners will stay in-service for longer periods of time (less frequent turn-over). Same could be the case for test drive cars, etc.

I don't really see that happening, but I have read a few places that Model X production will inhibit the Model S production figures, though it is expected that X demand will exceed S demand, therefore it will balance itself out. What this means for inventory cars, well, this is just speculation on ANY of our parts... and what gets discussed behind closed doors, who knows. I will say this: my experiences have proven to me that VERY few stores actually know precisely what the future holds, and, like us, are just speculating. So my suggestion, take those rumors (and the rumors on these forums) with a grain of salt.

Of course... if you are searching for an inventory car, and you find the right one, don't delay as they will disappear. But just make sure you compromise on the car you get, but never sacrifice. :)

Thanks Ari! It's important to get a shot in the arm every once in a while, especially when the local store manager is all "gloom and doom". I agree it isn't worth settling and regretting not getting a feature that we would enjoy.

Just back from my local SC in Milford, CT. On the lot a slew of new Model S had arrived in the last week. The service center was very busy doing pre delivery inspections and prep work on the new cars. Also on the lot were at least 10 Model S trade ins from deliveries as well as many other high end trade-ins. I did not want to get in the way of the busy workers but I would imagine that a few of these Model S trade ins looked to be worthy of the CPO program. There were no P85D or 85D used cars, the trade ins were 85's and P85's for the most part with one non-tech 60 (easy to spot the non-tech cars as the front cornering and fog-lamp bezel is not chrome trimmed but rather are black).

All of the new cars (prior to prep) were wrapped in white paint protection film on the front end including the roof. All of the P85D's which did have 21" still had staggered wheel fitments. Also one of P85D's had the new executive rear seats with the rear center console. Noticed that all of the other new model S's were dual engine cars. It appears that the single engine car is no longer popular in southern New England, at least in this large sample. There were a few enclosed car carriers loading new prepped cars and taking the cars to make deliveries. I suspect to make the end of quarter rush.

I did see one oddity... a P85D with BLACK break calipers. I looked over the build sheet on the window and it was ordered that way and called out as a No Charge item on the build sheet. I was not aware of this being available as a P85D option. Also noticed that black alcantara headliner is by far the most popular in this batch of cars. I know that this is a bit off topic, however, I suspect that each SC has just received a slew of turn-ins which may make the CPO and used car availability ease up a bit?

All of the new cars (prior to prep) were wrapped in white paint protection film on the front end including the roof. All of the P85D's which did have 21" still had staggered wheel fitments. Also one of P85D's had the new executive rear seats with the rear center console. Noticed that all of the other new model S's were dual engine cars. It appears that the single engine car is no longer popular in southern New England, at least in this large sample.
I draw a different conclusion: Ds are being delivered more quickly than non-Ds.

I did see one oddity... a P85D with BLACK break calipers. I looked over the build sheet on the window and it was ordered that way and called out as a No Charge item on the build sheet. I was not aware of this being available as a P85D option.

Are you saying they're black instead of grey, or that they are not red? On the ordering page when I've spec'd out my P85D (window shopping :) ).. I've always de-selected the red calipers since I don't think red calipers go with a blue painted body.

My Store Manager now says April 6 is the day CPO and inventory car prices will go up....just in case anyone's on the fence and has found a car, this weekend might be the time to move on it.

EDIT: his email to me actually say "after April 6", so maybe that means April 7 or (literally) I guess it could mean anytime after April 6.:rolleyes:

Are you saying they're black instead of grey, or that they are not red? On the ordering page when I've spec'd out my P85D (window shopping :) ).. I've always de-selected the red calipers since I don't think red calipers go with a blue painted body.

The calipers were not the standard red that normally configure with the P85D, they appeard to be black to me but then again they could have been a very dark grey, really dark. I did not know that one could de-select the red calipers from the configurator, I will have to try that out... thanks for the tip.