Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to buy a new Model X - Disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

silverton38

Supporting Member
May 3, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
I presently have a 2020 Model X with full self driving. I decided to buy the plaid and started the process. I came to the purchase and it had no where to enter my trade in. I then called Tesla's support number (888) 518-3752, which by itself was not easy to find. While going through the menus, the system told me that I can answer a survey by just staying online. When I finally got a person; I explained my issue and they told me about a special page for trade-ins (Tesla.com/tradein). I then waited for the survey to come, but the phone hung up on me.

I followed the Trade-in directions and got a range. I would like to know what the actual amount would be because I do not want to pay $250, non refundable, and then find out my final price. So I called again. The menu again said to wait on the phone for the survey. When I got a person I asked to have a sales representative call me. Her first reply was that they have no sales people??? Then I asked for the Fort Lauderdale manager to call me then. Eventually she discovered sale respresentives or something like that (my memory is not the best). I ask to have one call me. She said she would have one call me but hung up before I gave my number. Also the survey did not come up AGAIN. They may have my number based on the call itself.

I suspect they staff decides who gets to answer the survey or not; you will not get good results that way???

My concern is both as a buyer and a TSLA investor; I am worried about my investment if they could not properly assist me.

I have purchased in the past a Model S (in 2013), a Model S (in 2015), a Model X (in 2020), Another Model X (20202 northern home) and a Model S (in 2022 <<<for my son).

I think they need to make changes; at minimum fix their survey.

Should I still buy this car or keep my Model X a little longer and see what happens.

Last edited:
I presently have a 2020 Model X with full self driving. I decided to buy the plaid and started the process. I came to the purchase and it had no where to enter my trade in. I then called Tesla's support number (888) 518-3752, which by itself was not easy to find. While going through the menus, the system told me that I can answer a survey by just staying online. When I finally got a person; I explained my issue and they told me about a special page for trade-ins (Tesla.com/tradein). I then waited for the survey to come, but the phone hung up on me.

I followed the Trade-in directions and got a range. I would like to know what the actual amount would be because I do not want to pay $250, non refundable, and then find out my final price. So I called again. The menu again said to wait on the phone for the survey. When I got a person I asked to have a sales representative call me. Her first reply was that they have no sales people??? Then I asked for the Fort Lauderdale manager to call me then. Eventually she discovered sale respresentives or something like that (my memory is not the best). I ask to have one call me. She said she would have one call me but hung up before I gave my number. Also the survey did not come up AGAIN. They may have my number based on the call itself.

I suspect they staff decides who gets to answer the survey or not; you will not get good results that way???

My concern is both as a buyer and a TSLA investor; I am worried about my investment if they could not properly assist me.

I have purchased in the past a Model S (in 2013), a Model S (in 2015), a Model X (in 2020) and a Model S (in 2022 <<<for my son).

Should I still buy this car or keep my Model X a little longer and see what happens.

I bought a Model X a month ago

I had a very hard time getting a trade in quote for my pervious vehicle (100% paid off no lien). Tesla's app for the checkout flow on the new vehicle seemingly had a screen where the buyer could submit used car details (VIN, mileage, etc) and get a trade-in quote. But the app simply would not give the the option to submit that information. And even after I submitted the information, a day passed and I never got a trade in value estimate.

Tesla basically implied maybe I should just sell my used vehicle first (Carmax, Shift, etc), then take the cash (or cashier's check) proceeds to Tesla to buy the new vehicle. The problem is that Carmax/Shift need about 7 days to process a sale to them before funds will appear in your bank account.

So if you are in a position to rent a car for a week or otherwise just be without a car for a few days, this seems like the best bet. Or, if you're really wealthy then you probably have access to a revolver or line of credit where you can just get cash in a pinch and swap it over to Tesla for a few days while you wait for your car sale to go through with Carmax.

I suspect by my range that the car will sell for more elsewhere. You do have to keep in mind that the sales tax benefit you get from buying from Tesla. I love the company but I just want them to fix their issues and give a customer a little respect.

Yeah, California doesn't have the sales tax benefit for the previous vehicle price impacting the new vehicle sales tax.

But that's a good point for trading in with the same dealer that sells the vehicle in many states.

We pay 14 cents a Kilowatt here. What is the cost there?

Depends if you're looking at low income rates or not. Regular income is $0.28 to $0.55 depending on the time of day... and I think the rates just jumped up lol. But the blended rate most people pay in Northern California (assuming they are normal income but don't have solar or batteries) is around $0.40 per kWh. IIRC Southern California is more like $0.45 per kWh.

Here are the utility-published tables from a few months ago. First chart is the EV charging rates if the homeowner gets the lowest possible off-peak rate at the trade off of insane-o on-peak rates. I believe this rate plan is not available to low-income users.
m1bvp6199nea1.png

Other rate plan for non-EV (at normal income levels).
0sns7jt69nea1.png

I know @jjrandorin is going to jump in and say this thread is getting off track heh.

I have purchased in the past a Model S (in 2013), a Model S (in 2015), a Model X (in 2020), Another Model X (20202 northern home) and a Model S (in 2022 <<<for my son).

This is talked about all over these forums. Basically Elon musk's inability to feel emotion, or attach emotionally to people, has filtered down through the entire company. They want you to talk to a computer, not a person. He's very uncomfortable with interpersonal relationships, it's just what is. Eventually they'll put somebody who can deal with people in there and they'll get customer service back to where it should be. But, Ford held out for so long it cost him the lead in Auto sales. We'll have to see if Musk is that stubborn as well.

Note. It is this capacity, or lack thereof, in Elon which made the company's initial operation and growth, really survival, possible. They're good sides and bad sides to most things!

I did get a call back but from a call center person. I do think Tesla should put some attention in to new car purchases. The high end will need a little more babying then just go to the site (especially that it has issues). Also Tesla fix your survey or remove it. It looks bad if someone is waiting for the survey and they are just hung on.

I suspect if Tesla would put a very small amount of effort on the buying process (making it easier) then they would sell 1 - 5% more cars.

Reactions: henderrj
Depends if you're looking at low income rates or not. Regular income is $0.28 to $0.55 depending on the time of day... and I think the rates just jumped up lol. But the blended rate most people pay in Northern California (assuming they are normal income but don't have solar or batteries) is around $0.40 per kWh. IIRC Southern California is more like $0.45 per kWh.

Here are the utility-published tables from a few months ago. First chart is the EV charging rates if the homeowner gets the lowest possible off-peak rate at the trade off of insane-o on-peak rates. I believe this rate plan is not available to low-income users.
m1bvp6199nea1.png

0sns7jt69nea1.png

I know @jjrandorin is going to jump in and say this thread is getting off track heh.
Wow that is crazy.

This is talked about all over these forums. Basically Elon musk's inability to feel emotion, or attach emotionally to people, has filtered down through the entire company. They want you to talk to a computer, not a person. He's very uncomfortable with interpersonal relationships, it's just what is. Eventually they'll put somebody who can deal with people in there and they'll get customer service back to where it should be. But, Ford held out for so long it cost him the lead in Auto sales. We'll have to see if Musk is that stubborn as well.

Note. It is this capacity, or lack thereof, in Elon which made the company's initial operation and growth, really survival, possible. They're good sides and bad sides to most things!
When I purchased my first Tesla in 2013 the customer service was actually excellent. The employee did put in a double charger instead of a supercharger but that was an honest mistake (employees did not understand super chargers back then). They were very nice, they took me for a test drive, then they took me back in to the mall store and placed the order. I felt very comfortable.

They need to go back to that.

On the trade in, I think the full self driving is not really factored in. I definitely get more value outside of Tesla than inside because of this. Anyway I do have another year of warranty and the car is very similar so I will hold off for now; at least until a feel a little more comfortable with the service. That is a Model X Plaid with full self driving that was not purchased; at least for now.

When I purchased my first Tesla in 2013 the customer service was actually excellent. The employee did put in a double charger instead of a supercharger but that was an honest mistake (employees did not understand super chargers back then). They were very nice, they took me for a test drive, then they took me back in to the mall store and placed the order. I felt very comfortable.

They need to go back to that.

Tbh I’d prefer a 100% automated delivery with zero people involved.

When I got my Model X last month, the car was dented, dirty, had greasy windows, and of displayed error messages on the dash.

But I had my young kids with me and Tesla couldn’t cancel delivery without me taking another 3 hours which was a dealbreaker.

So I took the car. If the experience is going to be that much ass - I’d prefer zero humans involved too. The Tesla folks are tired, angry, and make the situation worse. They don’t want to be there.

I asked them where’s the pride in making sure the first experience with a car is amazing. They said people buy this stuff anyway and Tesla DGAF (I’m paraphrasing of course).

They should just enable FSD; have the car drive to you, and take all the humans away. It’d be a crap experience but it’s better than what I went through.

Its too bad the traditional dealers still care to make a good delivery experience, but they make the sales experience totally trash and the vehicles unaffordable. Sucks all around I guess lol.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot and rpo
Tbh I’d prefer a 100% automated delivery with zero people involved.

When I got my Model X last month, the car was dented, dirty, had greasy windows, and of displayed error messages on the dash.

But I had my young kids with me and Tesla couldn’t cancel delivery without me taking another 3 hours which was a dealbreaker.

So I took the car. If the experience is going to be that much ass - I’d prefer zero humans involved too. The Tesla folks are tired, angry, and make the situation worse. They don’t want to be there.

I asked them where’s the pride in making sure the first experience with a car is amazing. They said people buy this stuff anyway and Tesla DGAF (I’m paraphrasing of course).

They should just enable FSD; have the car drive to you, and take all the humans away. It’d be a crap experience but it’s better than what I went through.

Just a little work towards customer service would really increase sales. I know Elon is amazing but buying a car is a big deal for most people and little babying goes a long way. I would predict that Tesla can do 1 - 5% better just with excellent customer service.

Reactions: henderrj

m1bvp6199nea1.png

0sns7jt69nea1.png

Jesus, that’s crazy. We pay $0.13 (all-in, generation plus delivery) where I live in NJ… Off topic, sorry.

They’re implicitly trying to tell you not to not sell to them. Taking trade ins is a bad idea when market is going down like now, because people get offended by the low offers. But it’s also offensive to refuse trade in of your own brand altogether so they are introducing some friction.

Your best bet might be to just pick up the one you ordered and sell your own car to a dealer or private. Skip the phone charades.

They’re implicitly trying to tell you not to not sell to them. Taking trade ins is a bad idea when market is going down like now, because people get offended by the low offers. But it’s also offensive to refuse trade in of your own brand altogether so they are introducing some friction.

Your best bet might be to just pick up the one you ordered and sell your own car to a dealer or private. Skip the phone charades.
That is some good advice. The lowest one for sale in the USA with double my miles is 10,000 more then Tesla's highest range offered me. I would lose about 3000 in sales tax rebate so I would still get 7000 more. Maybe leasing from Tesla makes more sense in the future because they price in the true value of the car when they do the lease return?