Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to buy a Tesla Need some help !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trade-in process was the only smooth part of my purchase. I live in N Hampshire. Tesla doesn't have a license to sell here so it was absurdly painful to buy a new Model 3. I went back and forth with them for 2 weeks before figuring out what to do.
My car needed $4k to pass inspection, but Tesla didn't care. They quoted me a price without seeing the trade-in. When I left the lot with my M3 they still hadn't looked at my trade-in and they had to ask me where I parked it. As long as it's in drive-able condition they just wholesale it and don't care.

So I have a 2011 lancer evolution GSR that is in perfect condition that was lightly modified and was garaged kept with only 53,500 miles. I want to use the value on that car to buy a new model 3 but this car is hard to sell in California due to smog checks. The car is worth 25,700 according to car gurus but I put around 10,000 into the car I’m hoping to at least get some of that back. Any ideas ?

Cash spent on mods is almost impossible to get back at all unless you sell it yourself, and even then it is tough. Especially if you did them yourself versus having receipts for professional install with warranties/etc. l

Remember that you are competing against (probably) 1.9% financing and new prices that aren’t always that much more, especially when there are probably leftover 2019s.

Not to mention to many mods mean you drove that car hard, even more so than a typical Evo. That will scare some buyers away.

I traded in a Fiat 124 for my Tesla but first I pulled off all extra parts and sold them myself. Eased the pain a little.

So I have a 2011 lancer evolution GSR that is in perfect condition that was lightly modified and was garaged kept with only 53,500 miles. I want to use the value on that car to buy a new model 3 but this car is hard to sell in California due to smog checks. The car is worth 25,700 according to car gurus but I put around 10,000 into the car I’m hoping to at least get some of that back. Any ideas ?

Last edited:
Tesla pretty much quotes you what the KBB value is for a trade-in that's in average condition. They'll price-match if you get a formal Carmax quote. I admit that I was too lazy to set up an appointment and drive an hour to get that done. I just wanted to get rid of my BMW and get in the model 3 ASAP.
Enter your information on KBB

The trade-in process was the only smooth part of my purchase. I live in N Hampshire. Tesla doesn't have a license to sell here so it was absurdly painful to buy a new Model 3. I went back and forth with them for 2 weeks before figuring out what to do.

What was your particular difficulty with the buying process in NH? I live in NH and have bought 2 Teslas. Couldn't have been easier. Car shows up at your doorstep. Then they haul away the trade-in.

Go here to get a trade quote: Trade-in Value | Tesla. Once you've done that, if you place an order, you can select to apply that trade value against your purchase. As others have mentioned, be sure to use someone's referral link when placing the online order, as it'll net you (and the referrer) some free Supercharger miles. Sales staff can no longer apply a referral code after you've placed an order.

You can PM anyone here to get their referral link.

Good luck, and welcome to the Tesla family.

[Edit - I should mention that I used the trade process on my Model 3 purchase, and it was smooth. Tesla wound up crediting me exactly what they estimated.]

Buying a Tesla is easy (process-wise), selling a modified EVO in California may not be. I'd start with the EVO websites. These cars, as you well know, have a strong cult following and you will almost certainly get far more for it from someone that is really seeking one out than you will from a trade-in. Check the Tesla trade in website, there is no harm in it, but I suspect you will not see the value that your garage kept, low mile EVO should bring.

I went through this a few years ago when I sold my 2011 WRX that was in mint condition and very lightly modified (BBS rims, no engine mods). I thought it was worth $20K, and was offered $12-14K on trade. I listed it privately and while it took a few weeks and I endured a few tire-kickers, was able to sell it for $18.5K. I love my model 3, but I do miss that WRX!

Your limitation of not being able to sell it in CA is another barrier. I'm not familiar with the rules there, but I assume it is due to some engine mods that make it not pass emissions. Can these be removed, as a previous poster suggested, and possibly sold separately? Modifications are tough to get any money for. Unless they are from really proven suppliers and done as well as the factory would do them, they likely lower value, not increase it irregardless of what was spent on them. There are exceptions, if you are the leading EVO tuner in Southern California and the community knows you, you may make a little money on them, but if you are a typical do-it-yourselfer and you have done your own engine or suspension work, the car will likely be worth less than stock, not more.

Reactions: Akikiki
They told me that if I chose to have my car delivered to NH that they would indeed take my trade-in but that the paperwork to be able to drive the Tesla wouldn't show up for 2 weeks. That salesman was pressuring me to get it in my possession by the end of September so it counted toward Elon's 100,000 goal that they ultimately fell short on. I was pissed. Then they said that Massachusetts law wouldn't let me go pick it up in Boston where I bought it either.
They ended up suckering me into going to Mount Kisko, NY and gave me a few perks to do it.
I was glad to be able to test out some Supercharging and get a few hundred miles on my first day, but it was a royal hassle.

NADA Used car guide says a clean trade-in is $18,775.
Average trade-in is $17,825.

Ohh - butchered so it can't pass CA smog - unable to register in CA?

Subtract a few thousand - at LEAST.

Smoke a bit more - get used to it.

Last edited: