Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to buy a used model 3 performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m having trouble verifying that a used model 3 performance that was made last September had some form of autopilot purchased or enabled. I know the hardware exists on the vehicle as it sits, I just need to know how to check on the screens to exactly see what it has. I don’t want to offer more for the vehicle than it’s really worth. Having these features enabled makes a huge difference on value, in my mind. The dealership is not very helpful and has said it has it. Well nothing in their listing shows that. Calling customer service at tesla has been no help. Anyone have any ideas, tips or tricks? I live about 3 hours from the dealership and don’t want to waste a trip.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Yes, I agree with bmms8. A picture of the autopilot settings screen should show options to turn autosteer on/off, and navigate on autopilot and summon options if the car has EAP (which I imagine it would). These options don’t appear if you do not have autopilot on the car.

As others stated, just have them send a picture of the Auto Pilot screen on the car. Side note: Beware about buying a Tesla from a dealer. Tesla apparently will not allow you to extend the warranty on a used car purchased from a non-Tesla dealer. Not a big deal now since it's under factory warranty, but if you plan to keep the car beyond the warranty period, something to just be informed of. Best of luck to you.

As others stated, just have them send a picture of the Auto Pilot screen on the car. Side note: Beware about buying a Tesla from a dealer. Tesla apparently will not allow you to extend the warranty on a used car purchased from a non-Tesla dealer. Not a big deal now since it's under factory warranty, but if you plan to keep the car beyond the warranty period, something to just be informed of. Best of luck to you.

FWIW Tesla doesn't offer an extended warranty for the 3 at all.

(they might in the future, but who knows? At least 1 3rd party warranty company offers one but doesn't care who you bought it from AFAIK)

So, the Autopilot screen will tell whether the car has EAP, but how about FSD?

I paid for EAP & FSD post-purchase and apart from my credit card statement don't see any proof that I've bought FSD. My original purchase docs in my Tesla account don't have it and I don't see any new docs related to the EAP & FSD purchase. If I am to sell the car I don't see a way to prove that the car has FSD bought. Not that I want to sell it but still :)

The seller should also be able to provide the receipts from after delivery purchase or the original invoice.

I’m having trouble verifying that a used model 3 performance that was made last September had some form of autopilot purchased or enabled. I know the hardware exists on the vehicle as it sits, I just need to know how to check on the screens to exactly see what it has. I don’t want to offer more for the vehicle than it’s really worth. Having these features enabled makes a huge difference on value, in my mind. The dealership is not very helpful and has said it has it. Well nothing in their listing shows that. Calling customer service at tesla has been no help. Anyone have any ideas, tips or tricks? I live about 3 hours from the dealership and don’t want to waste a trip.
I'm in KC also (have a P3D myself). Let me know if you have questions about the car. Heck, I'm bored enough at times that I'd go look at the car with you. Check out the Kansas City Tesla Enthusiasts club on facebook as well. Nice active group of people.

• Love
Reactions: byeLT4
So, the Autopilot screen will tell whether the car has EAP, but how about FSD?

I paid for EAP & FSD post-purchase and apart from my credit card statement don't see any proof that I've bought FSD. My original purchase docs in my Tesla account don't have it and I don't see any new docs related to the EAP & FSD purchase. If I am to sell the car I don't see a way to prove that the car has FSD bought. Not that I want to sell it but still :)

Does your car detail page show FSD? Here is what mine shows...

2019-04-08.png

The seller should also be able to provide the receipts from after delivery purchase or the original invoice.

I'm in KC also (have a P3D myself). Let me know if you have questions about the car. Heck, I'm bored enough at times that I'd go look at the car with you. Check out the Kansas City Tesla Enthusiasts club on facebook as well. Nice active group of people.

Thanks man I would like to get one that is a performance model. I had tesla lookup the vin, they said it does not have it. What say you?

Attachments

• 6E92C89C-DF30-4F4E-8512-98116A964E51.jpeg
    6E92C89C-DF30-4F4E-8512-98116A964E51.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 93
  • E8BC160D-C4B1-48CC-953D-0D853047677E.jpeg
    E8BC160D-C4B1-48CC-953D-0D853047677E.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 93
I have called several offices to try to verify all of them said it does not have autopilot. Tesla really needs to work with people trying to buy used. This has taken way too much time to verify. They still want people to own their cars even if they don’t buy direct from them.

Reactions: mswlogo