Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to close the fender gap of my lowered car. Would new tires help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently running stock 235/30/20 on my new 20x9 wheels and I also have on the Eibach lowering kit.

I need new tires anyways because the stock ones keep slipping every time I launch. Im thinking about getting 245's squares. Would 245/40/20 or 245/45/20 help reduce the fender gaps?

I'm guessing you're new to modding? L

I’m not new to modding...been modding my cars for the past 21yrs...from wheels/tires, suspension, full exhausts to engine/trans swaps, diffs etc.. I focus on balance between track and daily street ability...and always followed the old adage that it’s best to stay with the original overall diameter. Otherwise you can run into issues with suspension/fender clearance, speedometer accuracy and potential negative handling impacts. Best/correct way to deal with fender gap is by suspension. If you’re not happy with the drop with the Eibachs why not get a different spring or better yet coilover setup that you can tweak to the exact height that you’re looking for?

original tire size is 235/35/20. If you’re running 235/30/20, that’s a smaller diameter and could make the fender gap look even bigger. Maybe that’s your issue? If you’re going to go wider 245/35/20 is the best choice and closest to OE diameter. But IMO the Tesla spec ps4s 235/35/20 runs wide and is just about as wide as the 245 version. Tesla acoustic ps4s 235/35/20 has tread width of 8.8” And 245/35/20 has a tread width of 8.7”.

Last edited:
I’m not new to modding...been modding my cars for the past 21yrs...from wheels/tires, suspension, full exhausts to engine/trans swaps, diffs etc.. I focus on balance between track and daily street ability...and always followed the old adage that it’s best to stay with the original overall diameter. Otherwise you can run into issues with suspension/fender clearance, speedometer accuracy and potential negative handling impacts. Best/correct way to deal with fender gap is by suspension. If you’re not happy with the drop with the Eibachs why not get a different spring or better yet coilover setup that you can tweak to the exact height that you’re looking for?

original tire size is 235/35/20. If you’re running 235/30/20, that’s a smaller diameter and could make the fender gap look even bigger. Maybe that’s your issue? If you’re going to go wider 245/35/20 is the best choice and closest to OE diameter. But IMO the Tesla spec ps4s 235/35/20 runs wide and is just about as wide as the 245 version. Tesla acoustic ps4s 235/35/20 has tread width of 8.8” And 245/35/20 has a tread width of 8.7”.

I mistyped. I meant 235/35/20 that I'm currently running. Im running Michelin A/S 3+ right now. Do you know how much bigger the 245 are compared to the A/S 3+?

Any suggestion on what size to get? My car keeps slipping when I launch my car. This even happened before I got wider wheels when the speed update happended.

-7.69% error!

upload_2020-5-24_19-24-33.png

upload_2020-5-24_19-24-14.png

Currently running stock 235/30/20 on my new 20x9 wheels and I also have on the Eibach lowering kit.

I need new tires anyways because the stock ones keep slipping every time I launch. Im thinking about getting 245's squares. Would 245/40/20 or 245/45/20 help reduce the fender gaps?
I don't understand how you could claim the stock tires "slipped" with launch. If you had the Michelin PS4S as comes with the M3P+, you'd have to be launching on glass! I can imagine the all-seasons might have a problem. If all you care about is better traction and closing the fender/wheel gap, the PS4S in 245/40 20 would reduce the gap by .6" and not have too extreme effect on speedo or handling compared to stock size and would be much stickier in warm weather than the all-seasons (and would improve pothole tolerance due to increase in sidewall.)

I don't understand how you could claim the stock tires "slipped" with launch. If you had the Michelin PS4S as comes with the M3P+, you'd have to be launching on glass! I can imagine the all-seasons might have a problem. If all you care about is better traction and closing the fender/wheel gap, the PS4S in 245/40 20 would reduce the gap by .6" and not have too extreme effect on speedo or handling compared to stock size and would be much stickier in warm weather than the all-seasons (and would improve pothole tolerance due to increase in sidewall.)

As I said above, I mistyped. I had them swap to A/S 3+ when picking up because it was winter time. Would A/S3+ 245/40/20 work?