Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to find a Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking up my MX in a few days and could really use an 1430 to 1450 adapter. If you or anyone have a tesla branded one that I can buy off you I would be eternally grateful.
Please let me know.
No such thing as a Tesla 14-50 to 14-30 adapter. Do you mean the discontinued 14-30 adapter for the UMC? The point of that one was the car recognized the 30A circuit and set the car to draw 24A. Nothing 14-50 about it. It you really mean a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter, you must set the amps down on the car. They're available from EVSEadapters and corddepot.

I'm picking up my MX in a few days and could really use an 1430 to 1450 adapter. If you or anyone have a tesla branded one that I can buy off you I would be eternally grateful.
Please let me know.

Hey friend, I'm doing my best to track these things down. I have five so far and you are number 7 on the list. I will let you know Monday if I'm going to be able to get the last two, but if I can, it's all yours.

Price is standard $45 plus tax plus shipping. PM me with your address and email.

If, you want to show any appreciation (I'm not marking these up), you can throw in any small amount extra that I am going to use to take the parts department people out to lunch who have helped track these things down.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: Tico and MP3Mike
No such thing as a Tesla 14-50 to 14-30 adapter. Do you mean the discontinued 14-30 adapter for the UMC? The point of that one was the car recognized the 30A circuit and set the car to draw 24A. Nothing 14-50 about it. It you really mean a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter, you must set the amps down on the car. They're available from EVSEadapters and corddepot.
Yes you are correct. I meant to say UMC to 1430. I guess I was under the impression that the UMC had a 1450 prong and thus it worked with 1450 outlets.

Hey friend, I'm doing my best to track these things down. I have five so far and you are number 7 on the list. I will let you know Monday if I'm going to be able to get the last two, but if I can, it's all yours.

Price is standard $45 plus tax plus shipping. PM me with your address and email.

If, you want to show any appreciation (I'm not marking these up), you can throw in any small amount extra that I am going to use to take the parts department people out to lunch who have helped track these things down.
Not a problem thanks much.
Curious how you are able to track them down?
I'm on this forum 7 days a week so let me know if you have one on hand and I will shoot over my info.
PJ

Just to run this by fellow owners. Is it essentially the same thing to plug your UMC into this adapter found online and the other end into your old 1430 dryer plug?
I know you just need to manually dial the amperage down to 24 amps to avoid tripping the breaker but isn't it essentially the same thing that tesla used to offer with their 1430 adapters that one could plug their UMC into and into
the 1430 outlet?

NEMA 14-50R to 10-30P Adapter

Yes, sort of. The U in UMC stands for Universal, meaning it takes different adapters. To use what you described above you would attach the UMC's 14-50 adapter and then plug that into the 14-50R to 10-30P adapter and dial the amps down to 24 as you said. No third-party adapter plugs into the UMC directly, they all require one of the UMC adapters most commonly the 14-50 one.

If Tesla would just start making the UMC 14-30 and 10-30 adapters again it would be so much easier, and safer.

• Informative
Reactions: EV Family
Just to run this by fellow owners. Is it essentially the same thing to plug your UMC into this adapter found online and the other end into your old 1430 dryer plug?
I know you just need to manually dial the amperage down to 24 amps to avoid tripping the breaker but isn't it essentially the same thing that tesla used to offer with their 1430 adapters that one could plug their UMC into and into
the 1430 outlet?

NEMA 14-50R to 10-30P Adapter

Correct, but I would strongly recommend against it if you can. I've seen the amperages get reset more than a few times to the adapter default.

Correct, but I would strongly recommend against it if you can. I've seen the amperages get reset more than a few times to the adapter default.

I made my own extension cord that also adapted the 14-50 (40 amp) to a dryer plug (30 amp) -- I just removed the prong that is not used so it could plug into a 14-50 or dryer. I used it at my cabin for over a year before I installed a HPWC and it never once reset to the adapter default.

Plus, I put a 14-50 plug on my home HPWC and plugged it into the 14-50 I had installed since I originally planned just to use the UMC at home but then wanted to keep it in the car and when they dropped the price in half on the HPWC I picked one up. I didn't need it hard wired so I just set the dip switches to 64 amps then set the vehicle to 42 amps (so there's equal load on both chargers of 21 amps). Never once has my vehicle reset to the adapter or dip switches defaults and I charge daily.

I made my own extension cord that also adapted the 14-50 (40 amp) to a dryer plug (30 amp) -- I just removed the prong that is not used so it could plug into a 14-50 or dryer. I used it at my cabin for over a year before I installed a HPWC and it never once reset to the adapter default.

Plus, I put a 14-50 plug on my home HPWC and plugged it into the 14-50 I had installed since I originally planned just to use the UMC at home but then wanted to keep it in the car and when they dropped the price in half on the HPWC I picked one up. I didn't need it hard wired so I just set the dip switches to 64 amps then set the vehicle to 42 amps (so there's equal load on both chargers of 21 amps). Never once has my vehicle reset to the adapter or dip switches defaults and I charge daily.

That's really odd, I've had the GPS think I was a couple houses down the street for some reason, and change the amperage back to default that way. Maybe happened 2-3 times that way.

That's really odd, I've had the GPS think I was a couple houses down the street for some reason, and change the amperage back to default that way. Maybe happened 2-3 times that way.

That's never happened to me once in two years of coming and going, often multiple times a day. If that happened, your home one would not default back. What must happen is that the car thinks it is at a new one, adds that new one to your map as a charger location, and defaults to whatever adapter or dip switch settings are feeding it. So if you dialed down the amps, it would solve that problem. I guess unless your car keeps adding multiple chargers all around the neighbourhood.

I guess your automatic garage door opener also failed to function in those scenarios since it doesn't think you are home?

Last edited:
I can't recall the correlation, but that would actually make sense for the few times it hasn't worked on the garage doors. If you look at my charging history, it shows me charging at the neighbors house several doors down. Both cars did this, BTW. But like I said, only a couple times.

Hey everyone, quick update, I'm sending out 8 of these impossible to find adapters this morning. I mentioned earlier that there was no reason for me to mark them up, but that you could include a couple bucks to treat the service center people to lunch who are the real heroes in finding these things. I just wanted to say thank you, because all of you threw in a little extra which means lunch is turning from Wendy's to something way better. I'm not sure how much better, but I'll keep you updated. I appreciate you all paying it forward.

I still have more of you on my list, so don't fear, the search continues.

Ok, so I really I appreciate all of you blowing up my inbox. Another 7 of you showed up out of nowhere in 24hrs. I'm working on finding adapters for everyone so I'll PM you individually as I get them into my possession. Just an FYI, it looks like a single adapter with tax, packaging, and shipping will ship to the 48 contiguous states for $63 and change (USPS or UPS, applicable tracking, and insurance for the value of the adapter). I always thought the $20 shipping and handling that Tesla charged was crazy, but now I sorta understand.

Anyways, back to the search. Special thanks to bmah who said that he wants the adapter "just in case" and to put him at the bottom of the list so that those that need them, get them first.

• Love
Reactions: MP3Mike
Hey everyone, quick update, I'm sending out 8 of these impossible to find adapters this morning. I mentioned earlier that there was no reason for me to mark them up, but that you could include a couple bucks to treat the service center people to lunch who are the real heroes in finding these things. I just wanted to say thank you, because all of you threw in a little extra which means lunch is turning from Wendy's to something way better. I'm not sure how much better, but I'll keep you updated. I appreciate you all paying it forward.

I still have more of you on my list, so don't fear, the search continues.

Update: Service center came through again. I feel like Oprah, everyone gets an adapter!

Watch your PMs for when I have them actually in my possession and ready to send. And stay tuned for the "way better" lunch that all of you chipped in for.

As of this afternoon, I've successfully located and shipped 16 adapters to 13 different people. Every single one of you took me up on my offer to include just a little extra money over the cost of the adapter, with the understanding that the surplus would go towards treating the service center to lunch.

Well, all of you take a look at your good deed for the day......

That's the Explorers Club food truck in the parking lot,
IMG_20160510_115348.jpg
IMG_20160510_115353.jpg
IMG_20160510_121248.jpg
IMG_20160510_123508.jpg
serving, among other things, The Mofongo. It is a 1/2lb chorizo burger topped with pulled pork that has been smoked for 24hrs, then jalapeno coleslaw, jack cheese, sriracha ketchup, fried plantains, and a homemade bun baked at 4am this morning. And then in version 1.0 of the Frooler (frunk cooler, patent not pending), we have Fitz's root beer, bootlegged across four states from St. Louis to Columbus.

You were able to provide lunch for every single person at the service center, as well as all the sales gallery associates that we cycled through during lunchtime. A huge thanks from me to all of you, it's a great opportunity to remind the service center how much we appreciate them.

As of this afternoon, I've successfully located and shipped 16 adapters to 13 different people. Every single one of you took me up on my offer to include just a little extra money over the cost of the adapter, with the understanding that the surplus would go towards treating the service center to lunch.

You were able to provide lunch for every single person at the service center, as well as all the sales gallery associates that we cycled through during lunchtime. A huge thanks from me to all of you, it's a great opportunity to remind the service center how much we appreciate them.

Thank you very much for tracking the adapters down and arranging the thank you lunch!

Does the Explorers Club food truck normally stop there or did you arrange for that too?