Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to find a Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you very much for tracking the adapters down and arranging the thank you lunch!

Does the Explorers Club food truck normally stop there or did you arrange for that too?

Unfortunately that area can't really support a regular visit from any food truck because Tesla is the only business back there. But I knew a guy that owed me a favor. :)

Supratachophobia, thank you again for the adapters and providing the lunch for the local Tesla staff. Well done!

As of this afternoon, I've successfully located and shipped 16 adapters to 13 different people. Every single one of you took me up on my offer to include just a little extra money over the cost of the adapter, with the understanding that the surplus would go towards treating the service center to lunch. Well, all of you take a look at your good deed for the day......

That's the Explorers Club food truck in the parking lot, serving, among other things, The Mofongo. It is a 1/2lb chorizo burger topped with pulled pork that has been smoked for 24hrs, then jalapeno coleslaw, jack cheese, sriracha ketchup, fried plantains, and a homemade bun baked at 4am this morning. And then in version 1.0 of the Frooler (frunk cooler, patent not pending), we have Fitz's root beer, bootlegged across four states from St. Louis to Columbus.

You were able to provide lunch for every single person at the service center, as well as all the sales gallery associates that we cycled through during lunchtime. A huge thanks from me to all of you, it's a great opportunity to remind the service center how much we appreciate them.

This thread should tell Tesla there is demand for the 30A UMC adapters. Whoever it was in California who drank the supercharger kool aid and decided that Tesla didn't need to offer these anymore should take note.

The only thing I could guess is that they saw some people using them everyday that might have had problems with the outlets getting worn out and loose since they aren't designed to by plugged/unplugged so often. This causes voltage drops and heat problems. By making them unavailable they encourage people to get better charging solutions that don't require unplugging and plugging in their dryer all the time.

At least that is the only thing I could come up with that makes sense.

Then they can still sell them to people for occasional use like when visiting relatives. (Of course some Service Centers just plain refuse.)

This thread should tell Tesla there is demand for the 30A UMC adapters. Whoever it was in California who drank the supercharger kool aid and decided that Tesla didn't need to offer these anymore should take note.

I have unconfirmed reports that this recent scouring for adapters has left no remaining service centers with more than one (1) 14-30 in stock. This is the inventory level at which they won't transfer the last one to another service center due to issues with future warranty replacement. I completely understand that mentality as a customer with a 14-30, so I don't fault them for hanging onto that last 1 just in case a customer needs theirs replaced.

But I'm reaching out to Tesla right now directly for that reason. I've brokered deals on 18 of these things so far, and the recent activity on this thread has caused 2 requests per day to enter my inbox so that I currently have that many requests still open. The reality is the well may have run dry and I have people still needing them. I do not like loose ends.....

Great job sourcing the adapters ... mine arrived today! Remember that no good deed goes unnoticed by Tesla :cool:

IMG_4884.JPG

I have unconfirmed reports that this recent scouring for adapters has left no remaining service centers with more than one (1) 14-30 in stock. This is the inventory level at which they won't transfer the last one to another service center due to issues with future warranty replacement. I completely understand that mentality as a customer with a 14-30, so I don't fault them for hanging onto that last 1 just in case a customer needs theirs replaced.

But I'm reaching out to Tesla right now directly for that reason. I've brokered deals on 18 of these things so far, and the recent activity on this thread has caused 2 requests per day to enter my inbox so that I currently have that many requests still open. The reality is the well may have run dry and I have people still needing them. I do not like loose ends.....

Supratachophobia, thank you again for the adapters and providing the lunch for the local Tesla staff. Well done!

I called both the Raleigh and Charlotte Service Centers and was told that neither had the 14-30. I told them that there was a bunch of demand on the forums, and both places said that they were aware of the demand, and they received calls of inquiry daily. They also said they were unaware of any plans for Tesla to recommence selling either the 10-30 (three prong) or the14-30 (4 prong).

I wouldn't read anything into service centers being unaware of plans, what with Tesla being so bad about communicating stuff anyway. My local service center told me that the first they heard of the P85D Ludicrous retrofit was when an owner called them to ask about scheduling it, for example.

I personally have no current or projected future need for one of these adapters, but it's very weird to me that they aren't available. Tesla should just make an adapter for every single NEMA outlet out there that can electrically handle it. They can't be that expensive to make.

Maybe they thought nobody cared. Perhaps the outcry here will help disabuse them of this notion.

Perhaps the outcry here will help disabuse them of this notion.

I have to laugh when I read this. People somehow think a large company is some single entity. Like "Tesla will read this, and Tesla will restart selling adapters." Tesla doesn't read these forums. Some Tesla employees surely, do. But, what chance some some Tesla software geek have of influencing some other part of the company to restart production/sales of some adapter? What is the chance that the Tesla geek reading this even knows who to talk to in a large company like Tesla? Who knows if the reader has the time to spend beating on someone else's door.

I always smile at these 'grass roots' things. They don't work. They're directed at the wrong audience. The Tesla people reading these forums don't make decisions about charging adapters.

From the post before:
> Hopefully Tesla corporate will see the need and respond.

Dream on. The part of Tesla selling these things killed all but two adapters. They clearly had some reason. I doubt a thread on some non-Tesla internet forum (even if they knew it existed) would change their mind.

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones
Any company has feedback channels. Even if the people reading these posts aren't the ones making decisions about adapters, they can run the feedback up the chain. Whether that feedback actually goes anywhere or is listened to is of course another question, but the idea is not absurd on its face the way you paint it.

And how do you know that nobody with the power to make these decisions is reading these posts? This is a company where the friggin' CEO personally responds and takes suggestions on Twitter, after all. No, not all of those suggestions are listened to or acted upon, but not all of them are ignored either.

Obviously they had a reason to kill those other adapters, but that doesn't mean they can't change their mind on the basis of new data.

Nitpick: they currently have four adapters, not two: 14-50, 6-15, 5-20, 5-15.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I wouldn't read anything into service centers being unaware of plans, what with Tesla being so bad about communicating stuff anyway. My local service center told me that the first they heard of the P85D Ludicrous retrofit was when an owner called them to ask about scheduling it, for example.

I personally have no current or projected future need for one of these adapters, but it's very weird to me that they aren't available. Tesla should just make an adapter for every single NEMA outlet out there that can electrically handle it. They can't be that expensive to make.

Maybe they thought nobody cared. Perhaps the outcry here will help disabuse them of this notion.

it is probably the lawyer in me, but my guess, and it is only a guess, is that there may be a potential personal injury liability problem. These are 240v 30amp adapters. You get fried if you get a jolt. In addition, these dryer receptacles are probably already installed, some a long time ago, so who knows how safe the circuits and receptacles are to use for charging an EV. To increase the potential danger, the dryer receptacle is probably out of reach of the Tesla 20 ft charging cable, which results in an extension cord being used. If it isn't the right cord and the wire is insufficient gauge, you may burn down your house with you in it, while you sleep, and Tesla has enabled you to do it by providing you an adapter.

You have just bought an $80,000 to $130,000 Model S. I'm guessing Tesla is trying to force its car owners to have a fully licensed electrician install a new fully dedicated 50 amp circuit with a new breaker and modern 14-50 receptacle within reach of the Tesla provided charging cord. Heck, they even give you an adapter for that. As a result, you are forced into professionally installed new circuitry, with a brand new 50 amp receptacle close to your car and with quicker charge times than 30 amp circuits which the 10-30 or 14-30 receptacles provide.

If you still insist on using an old dryer plug to charge, you have to go to a third-party for an adapter (or worse make your own), so if something bad happens, it isn't on Tesla.

Maybe Tesla just has our best interest at heart. (;>)