Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to find a Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only way the car has to know the "appropriate current" is seeing which plug you connect to the UMC. (Or by getting the info from the EVSE if you're plugged into fancier equipment.) There's no way for the car to know what sort of circuit you're actually plugged in to, it just has to assume that you're plugged into a circuit which matches the plug you're using. If you use the 14-50 plug, then the car will draw 40A (unless you manually dial it down), even if the circuit only has a 40A breaker, or if you're plugged into an adapter for a 14-30 outlet on a 30A circuit.

Interesting... So the "intelligence" is built in to the adapter to tell the car what amperage to pull. I'm guessing that the guy at the service center either doesn't know this, or assumes that no one is using a third party adapter. I'll have to bring him up to speed on this.

Thanks everyone for the education. I appreciate it.

And as others have said before, the wiring behind the scenes for your location needs to be taken into account. If you do the cut 14-50 pin and then dial it up past 24 amps, you run a very serious risk of settings things on fire. Which is why, if you can, please use the correct adapter wherever possible.

I'd love to, but It looks as though Tesla no longer makes the 14-30P adaptor, so I'm going to have to go with the patchwork of Amazon adaptors and extension cords to make it work. I could potentially stop at superchargers along the way to avoid this, but I can't imagine doing it on a regular basis, especially during cold and snowy Colorado winters.

That's basically the setup I have. You will probably not burn the place to the ground, but you might:) the older the wiring the bigger the risk. The more time you have, the lower you can set the amps.

Good to know. The house was built in the 2000's so I'm guessing the wiring is decent enough to supply 24A to me without much trouble. The real pain, to be perfectly honest is moving the dang dryer everytime I need to juice!

How fast do you need to charge? If 16A is sufficient (at 240V that'll get you roughly 13MPH), then you can purchase Tesla's 5-20 adapter, and buy or make an adapter from your dryer plug to a 5-20 receptacle. 5-20 is a 120V plug, but it works fine at 240V. Or if 12A is sufficient (about 10MPH) then you can buy Tesla's 6-15 adapter and not worry about the 120/240V thing.

How fast do you need to charge? If 16A is sufficient (at 240V that'll get you roughly 13MPH), then you can purchase Tesla's 5-20 adapter, and buy or make an adapter from your dryer plug to a 5-20 receptacle. 5-20 is a 120V plug, but it works fine at 240V. Or if 12A is sufficient (about 10MPH) then you can buy Tesla's 6-15 adapter and not worry about the 120/240V thing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I already ordered the 14-30 adaptor with a 30' extension cord, so I'm going to give that a shot and just monitor it closely to see if there is a problem. If things get hot (literally), then I'll explore the fall-back plan.

I'd love to, but It looks as though Tesla no longer makes the 14-30P adaptor, so I'm going to have to go with the patchwork of Amazon adaptors and extension cords to make it work. I could potentially stop at superchargers along the way to avoid this, but I can't imagine doing it on a regular basis, especially during cold and snowy Colorado winters.

If you are going with the aftermarket adapter and you are leaving it on yourself to dial back the amps, then you might as well just get the genuine Tesla 14-50 adapter and cut the pin. This simplifies things and gives you as much a OEM solution as possible.

If you are going with the aftermarket adapter and you are leaving it on yourself to dial back the amps, then you might as well just get the genuine Tesla 14-50 adapter and cut the pin. This simplifies things and gives you as much a OEM solution as possible.
I would hardly call mutilating an adapter and manually dialing down the amps much of an OEM solution.

You may want to check the service centers in your area. I was able purchase one of the Tesla 14-30 adapters a couple of weeks ago. The SC's parts department may still have some in stock.

I would hardly call mutilating an adapter and manually dialing down the amps much of an OEM solution.
You are correct, it's the lesser evil here though than trusting a 3rd party adapter and adding additional parts into the mix. Agree/Disagree?

I'm certainly with you on mutilating an adapter being a good solution. But it is a solution. And one that, unfortunately, Tesla has created only to get worse, until they start manufacturing the 14-30 again.

I'm certainly with you on mutilating an adapter being a good solution. But it is a solution. And one that, unfortunately, Tesla has created only to get worse, until they start manufacturing the 14-30 again.

I wonder if they have. Or if someone found a "lost" box of them. Last we had heard every SC had been scrounged and each had one, or less, left in stick and that they were keeping them for "warranty" replacement purposes. But I have recently seen at least one person say that they were able to get one from an SC... Maybe they are giving up on holding them for warranty purposes.

I wonder if they have. Or if someone found a "lost" box of them. Last we had heard every SC had been scrounged and each had one, or less, left in stick and that they were keeping them for "warranty" replacement purposes. But I have recently seen at least one person say that they were able to get one from an SC... Maybe they are giving up on holding them for warranty purposes.

It's either one or the other. But you'd think we would see it on the website if they were actually in production. If we are being completely open and honest, maybe a voting poll showing interest in purchasing one of these adapters isn't really on Tesla's radar. But if people continue to snip off the neutral, use a 14-50 on a 14-30 outlet, and forget to dial down amps..... in-wall house fires will certainly get their attention to the need.

I purchased a 14-30 to 14-50 adapter for use in our mountain house. It works great, and I don't have to limit the amperage. The car does it.

NEMA 14-30P to 14-50R EVSE Adapter, 30A,125/250V - Corddepot

Correction, the car does it only after you have manually set it the first time. I have seen it revert back to 40amps in two situations: uncertain/unprecise GPS lock, and power outage in the environment. While they are unlikely to happen, be aware that they can happen.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I called my SC and they actually found me one. My apartment had specifically that plug so I had to get the adapter. Just call a SC and they will search other SC for you! Good luck!

Just got off the phone with the service center and they didn't have one and couldn't track one down for me.

I also got a pretty stern warning that if I used a third party adapter, that Tesla wouldn't not cover any damage to the vehicle or charger that could result. So, I guess that's a shot over my bow.