Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to find a Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a NEMA 14-30 adapter for the mobile connector today. I am going to make a 10-30 to 14-30 adapter and a TT-30 to 14-30 adapter (30 amp 120V RV service). I won't have to worry about manually dialing down the current because for all those plugs the 14-30 adapter will adjust to 24 amp automatically.

I also picked up 25' of SOOW cable to make a 30 amp extension cord. I'm planning on removing the neutral plug so I can use it on either a 14-30 (or 10-30 or TT-30 with my adapters) or a 14-50. For the 14-50 it will still only charge at 24 amps because I'll be using my 14-30 adapter on the other end, but I figured the extension cord would be lighter and less expensive as a result. Of course I will mark the cord for Tesla charging only since it will be missing the neutral plug.

Where'd you find an adapter?!

I picked up a NEMA 14-30 adapter for the mobile connector today. I am going to make a 10-30 to 14-30 adapter and a TT-30 to 14-30 adapter (30 amp 120V RV service). I won't have to worry about manually dialing down the current because for all those plugs the 14-30 adapter will adjust to 24 amp automatically.

I also picked up 25' of SOOW cable to make a 30 amp extension cord. I'm planning on removing the neutral plug so I can use it on either a 14-30 (or 10-30 or TT-30 with my adapters) or a 14-50. For the 14-50 it will still only charge at 24 amps because I'll be using my 14-30 adapter on the other end, but I figured the extension cord would be lighter and less expensive as a result. Of course I will mark the cord for Tesla charging only since it will be missing the neutral plug.

Where'd you find an adapter?!

HMMMM..... My SC guy said he did the same and found nothing. Starting to think he didn't look very hard.

Keep in mind that your service center contact needs to actually do the looking I into other service center inventories, and then the service center at the other end has to actually release it. If the answer is no to one or both of those, then you will receive the answer that they couldn't find one. And for the service centers that only have 1 left, the consensus is that they need to keep that one on hand for warranty replacement. I was told that on the last round of searching, there wasn't a single SC in the US with more than 1 on hand.

So then you forget and you plug in something that wants to eat up 50A and your breaker trips.

The previous owner of my house definitely suffered from doesn't-know-what-he-doesn't-know syndrome.

You have to check to see if the circuit you're plugging into is sufficient for the load you're going to add. That goes for any outlet, but doubly so for ones like the 6-50 where this sort of thing is common. Keep in mind that it's common to place many standard NEMA 5-15 120V outlets (maximum 15A) on a single 15A circuit, so even with normal boring electrical devices, there's no guarantee that the capacity exists for whatever you're about to plug in.

Hi everyone!

I think I'll be taking delivery of my Tesla next week. :) My garage has an existing NEMA 14-30 outlet and converting it to 14-50 or running a new 14-50 outlet are both difficult due to the existing placement of wires and the breaker box. I had hoped to use the existing 14-30 outlet but I'm having a difficult time find the Tesla manufactured 14-30 adapter.

Does anyone know where I might find the Tesla 14-30 adapter?

Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone!

I think I'll be taking delivery of my Tesla at the end of June. My garage has an existing NEMA 14-30 outlet. I came across a few adapters and planning to go with adapter. I am being told by Tesla folks that i don't need to adjust the amps if I use 14-30 outlet, they said charging system will automatically set to the amps provided by the receptacle (plug) which is 30A. IS IT TRUE? Or I need to manually change the charging from 50A to 24A as suggested by a lot of folks here.

I came across Leviton made but don't have yet. Picking up I this week.

Thanks for your help!