Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to find a Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Drumheller

Jan 20, 2016
Arizona
Hi everyone!

I think I'll be taking delivery of my Tesla next week. :) My garage has an existing NEMA 14-30 outlet and converting it to 14-50 or running a new 14-50 outlet are both difficult due to the existing placement of wires and the breaker box. I had hoped to use the existing 14-30 outlet but I'm having a difficult time find the Tesla manufactured 14-30 adapter.

Does anyone know where I might find the Tesla 14-30 adapter?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you both! I may be going about this the wrong way. Does the Tesla adapter communicate in any way with the charger in the car to indicate amps? I can buy one of the non Tesla adapters available on line and then dial down the amps in the car to only pull 24A. I was under the impression that the Tesla adapter communicates the amp limit so I wouldn't need to be concerned if the car loses the setting and tries to draw 40A from my 30A rated outlet. So... am I misunderstanding?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, Tree95! I figured I would try all three places (made a thread on the official forums, too) in case anyone had the official adapter. Also, please see my second post in this thread to help me clear up any misunderstanding I may have.

Yes, the Tesla adapters are awesome. If you can find one somewhere, buy it. But, as you know, they are hard to find. So, you're going to have to go with an alternative and manually dial down the amps in the car.

Thank you! I'll likely buy an outlet adapter now and continue looking for one while exploring how to put in a 14-50 outlet at my house.

Hi everyone!

I think I'll be taking delivery of my Tesla next week. :) My garage has an existing NEMA 14-30 outlet and converting it to 14-50 or running a new 14-50 outlet are both difficult due to the existing placement of wires and the breaker box. I had hoped to use the existing 14-30 outlet but I'm having a difficult time find the Tesla manufactured 14-30 adapter.

Does anyone know where I might find the Tesla 14-30 adapter?

Thanks for your help!

Are we searching for this thing *again*???

I'll find you one..... check your TMC inbox tomorrow.....

• Helpful
Reactions: Lloyd
Save your money.
You don't need to install a new 14-50 outlet. You can just mod your UMC plug for the 14-30 receptacle as recommended below.
Keep in mind the Model S will remember your 24 amp setting by location, so you only have to remember to set it once.

Ingineer said:
You can literally just cut the neutral prong off the 14-50 adapter, then it will work in 3 outlet types; 14-30, 14-50 and 14-60. The neutral is not used in the UMC, and it's just a dummy pin. Just be sure to set your max current to 24A when using it on a 14-30 or you will trip the breaker. View attachment 110270
tesla-14-50-mod-jpg.110270

I grabbed the pin with vise grip pliers and ripped it out, then just filled the hole with sealant. I use it all the time and it works perfectly.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Edmond and TexasEV
Save your money.
You don't need to install a new 14-50 outlet. You can just mod your UMC plug for the 14-30 receptacle as recommended below.
Keep in mind the Model S will remember your 24 amp setting by location, so you only have to remember to set it once.
And once again I'll say this is bad advice to depend on the car to remember that lower amp setting. It sometimes has been known to forget it, especially after firmware updates. To use this for emergencies is one thing, but it's not a safe method for your daily charging.

If you're spending high 5 figures or 6 figures for the car, you can have the proper 240V outlet installed.

And once again I'll say this is bad advice to depend on the car to remember that lower amp setting. It sometimes has been known to forget it, especially after firmware updates. To use this for emergencies is one thing, but it's not a safe method for your daily charging.

If you're spending high 5 figures or 6 figures for the car, you can have the proper 240V outlet installed.

I'll second this...I've had my car "forget" to dial down the amps (presumably after a firmware update) and trip my circuit breaker. I've gotten lucky too as I've also had a fried EVSE (Wattstation, replaced under warranty), but it was an internal one and didn't spread to the garage. Definitely don't play with this much electricity!

I agree with TexasEV, a 14-30 to 14-50 adapter is OK for emergency use but not for daily charging. There's too much risk in the car forgetting the current limit when its used every day.

Furthermore, if you're going to use an adapter, I wouldn't modify the Tesla 14-50 adapter. Use one of the pre-made 14-30 to 14-50 plugs like the one referred to on Amazon above and keep the Tesla 14-50 adapter intact.

Least expensive and very safe solution, though hard to find, is to source the 14-30 Tesla adapter.

Another safe way, though more expensive, is to replace the 14-30 outlet with a HPWC set to 30A breaker/24A limit. This would also allow you to keep the mobile connector in the car at all times.

I was able to pick on up this summer from the dealership. They said they had a few in stock even though it was pulled from the website and production has stopped. I would bet they still have a few since no one really know about them. Mine is still in the wrapper never used it.

I was able to pick on up this summer from the dealership. They said they had a few in stock even though it was pulled from the website and production has stopped. I would bet they still have a few since no one really know about them. Mine is still in the wrapper never used it.

Would you be willing to sell it to me? PM if you're interested in helping me out. My garage has a 14-30 outlet. I'm going to be moving soon (getting stationed elsewhere soon) and I don't want to spend the cash to get a 14-50 installed.

Thanks in advance!