Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to get a replacement drive unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2012 Tesla P85 Signature, 103k miles, I've owned it about 6 months

Ever since I bought the car I have suspected the drive unit is original or failing. I hear a whining noise that increases with load that is clearly bearing noise. I finally test drove a 2018 Model S rental that was far quieter.

I live in Hawaii and scheduled a mobile tech visit. I spoke to a customer service rep about the appointment and was excited for my first Tesla service experience today! Instead, the tech called and rescheduled to have me bring the car to the service center.

The tech seemed confident they were going to need to replace the drive unit and saw no reason to visit the house. I was hoping to get the mobile service so they could test drive the car and save my time if they decide not to replace it.

So, the good news is they seem ready to replace it! The bad news is I have to take it the SC. Hopefully I haven't exagerated the noise and they send me away saying its normal. I used the verbage "sounds like a washing machine" which may be the magic words. Fingers crossed, thanks for everyone's help here.

Reactions: msentesy
I drove a 2012 loaner while my 2015 MS was being serviced and there was considerably more noise coming out of the 2012 motor. If this was in fact normal, then I feel bad for 2012 early adopters that were stuck with this.

My early 2013 Tesla S85 had motor replaced for sound issue.
Completely silent for last 60000km.
Early owners are not suffering.
Car is perfect.

2012 Tesla P85 Signature, 103k miles, I've owned it about 6 months

Ever since I bought the car I have suspected the drive unit is original or failing. I hear a whining noise that increases with load that is clearly bearing noise. I finally test drove a 2018 Model S rental that was far quieter.

Well, both my 2012 and my 2015 make whining noises. Sort of sound like an electric motor with a drive reduction. Sure sounds better than that V8 bomb sitting next to me at the light that I leave about a quarter mile back when the light changes. And, yeah, when you shove the accelerator, it whines louder, like an electric motor under load with a drive reduction.

Of course you want it to be absolutely quiet. My only question is, why? When I back off after leaving the dude with the Dodge back there, it quiets right down. No problem.

It does not mean the drive is failing. When it fails, Tesla will replace it if it's under warranty. Mine passed that point about 40,000 miles ago, and I still don't think it needs replacing.

You don’t have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the replies. The car was dropped off at the SC Monday morning. After a test drive they decided to replace the drive unit! I have a loaner Tesla S that is even nicer than the ours and the work should be done in a week or two.

The tech was a little unsure if it was bad enough to replace. Fortunately, we also complained about a clunk noise we were occasionally hearing when first putting load on the drive train from a stop. He heard it the very first time we pulled out of the parking spot and I think that helped seal the deal.

Anyone know how I can tell what drive unit they install? I would love to get a later model one as I hear they're more reliable, quieter, and maybe even more efficient. Is there a sticker? Or maybe ask the SC when we pick it up?

I'm very happy they're doing this replacement. I love the car, but as it gets older I know some out of warranty maintenance is in my future. This repair was my biggest concern and Tesla had completely alleviated that!

My wife (who happens to be 9 months pregnant) took the car in for us because I had to work. She did a great job and probably helped tip the scales towards them replacing!

The clinking was probably your axles. Mine clinked and when I took it in the tech said he heard the hiss so they replaced everything. Gave car at 10am Monday, they said it was ready at 1pm Tuesday. Loaner was awesome with ludicrous mode but I didn’t even get to try it.

Let's make sure we're not confusing the normal acceleration whine that some of these replies seem to be describing, and the early Model S drive unit whine that indicates motor failure. All Model S, healthy Model S, whine under most acceleration, and whine louder under heavy load, although overall its very quiet. No Model S are completely silent under hard acceleration, although some seem to be quieter under mid-grade acceleration than others.

Reactions: msentesy
Let's make sure we're not confusing the normal acceleration whine that some of these replies seem to be describing, and the early Model S drive unit whine that indicates motor failure.

This was the tough part for me. I bought the car with basically no service history and no experience driving a Tesla. Today I still don't really know the car's service history but I've driven / ridden in 3 or 4 newer Model S.

My car is considerably louder than any of the other cars. The noise we're treating here is at least 3-4x louder than those cars, originating from the same location.

Interesting point that the clunking is likely axle noise. I'll keep that in mind after they do the repair. I wonder if an axle replacement would normally be covered under Tesla's 8 year drivetrain warranty?

Can you share your audio file? I want to find out if the one I'm hearing is something to be worried about.

Also @Joelgjr - is this a normal sound or not?

Here's what mine sounds like:
I would say your noise is someplace between mild and moderate. I had the motor replaced in my 2013 with updated ceramic bearings and it was twice that bad. So maybe don’t worry about it, depending on time left on your warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric