Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to get tech support for Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obvious troubleshooting step to eliminate a variable that it sounds like you haven't tried yet:
Plug in the mobile charge cord into a regular outlet and press the button on that handle. That should point you very clearly to whether it is a problem with either the car or the wall connector.
That's even easier than going somewhere else to test or testing with another Tesla. Can't believe I forgot that step! :oops:

Probably something simple. Open up a service ticket on the app. They will check it out remotely, and either fix it, or schedule a mobile service visit under warranty. Probably either needs an update, or the button is bad. The button has to wake the vehicle up if it is asleep. Sometimes I have to keep it pressed a few seconds, and then press it again after it wakes up.

I had tried pressing and holding button with no luck. Worked one time (second time I tried it) and then stopped working permanently. Will try opening a ticket. Thanks for the advice.

1. What car do you have? I've heard some of the new 2021 Model S have a charge port antenna issue that requires a hardware fix for the button to work.
2. If you use a Tesla destination charger elsewhere, does it work?
3. Have you tried another Tesla?

Basically, if the button works for other cars, the problem is your car. If your car works at other destination chargers, then it's your wall connector that is having issues.
2021 S Plaid. I have not tried other chargers yet as it is only a few days old but I will try that as well. Don't have another Tesla to try but if it doesn't work at a Supercharger that will likely prove it is the port and not my charger button. Appreciate the feedback.

2021 S Plaid. I have not tried other chargers yet as it is only a few days old but I will try that as well. Don't have another Tesla to try but if it doesn't work at a Supercharger that will likely prove it is the port and not my charger button. Appreciate the feedback.
Some with the new Plaid antenna issue reported it worked fine at Superchargers but not with wall connectors/destination chargers.

The idea @Rocky_H offered is probably the quickest and easiest way to check. Just try plugging your mobile connector into a regular 5-15 outlet and see if that works.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Obvious troubleshooting step to eliminate a variable that it sounds like you haven't tried yet:
Plug in the mobile charge cord into a regular outlet and press the button on that handle. That should point you very clearly to whether it is a problem with either the car or the wall connector.
Good call-tried the mobile and it didn't open the door either. After several tries it closed the port door, so it is definitely the car. Appreciate the help!

Some with the new Plaid antenna issue reported it worked fine at Superchargers but not with wall connectors/destination chargers.

The idea @Rocky_H offered is probably the quickest and easiest way to check. Just try plugging your mobile connector into a regular 5-15 outlet and see if that works.

The handle button doesn’t close the door, just opens it. It closes itself after a period if you don’t plug anything in.
good to know. Tons to learn as a first time Tesla owner.

Reactions: ucmndd
good to know. Tons to learn as a first time Tesla owner.
See this post and a few others in the thread which mention the charge port antenna issue: Wiki - 2021 Refresh S - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

Fortunately, we aren't experiencing the issue with our Plaid S.

1630685814907.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
For the life of me, I cannot get ahold of anyone at Tesla to assist me with our home charger that isn't working. I have sent 4 emails this week to "[email protected]".
I tried using my Tesla app to setup a service and they replied by saying "Hello-For these types of home charging issues we have a dedicated team who would be able to assist you with troubleshooting and diagnosis and even replacement of the charger if needed. Please reach out to Email: [email protected] Phone 888-765-2489.
As I said, I have emailed 4x. So I tried calling but got caught in the following answering machine loop.

When I call the number they gave me (888-765-2489), the answering message begins by giving me 2 options to select from. 1st:/For vehicles please press 1, for energy press 2, so I pressed 1. then the next option, for sales press 1, for service and support press 2 (so I pressed 2), for flat tire or roadside assistance press 1, for vehicle service press 2, for home charging press 3. So I pressed 3.
Then it said Thank you for contacting Tesla for Tesla energy press 1, if you'd like to activate an energy product press 2, for all other inquiries press 3 (so I pressed 3) to discuss solar press 1, for employment press 2, if you know your parties extension press 3, TO RETURN TO THE PREVIOUS MENU, press 7.

This is so frustrating. Does someone have an actual phone number that I can speak to a live person?

Please help,
Thank you,
Garry
The trick is that the Tesla Wall Connector is not a vehicle, it's an energy product. I just called them today (at the above number) and got a callback within 30 minutes.
Oddly when I call them, my phone says it's Solar City I'm calling, not Tesla, but it really is their number.