Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to go from Ithaca, NY to Grand Rapids, MI -- range anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all thanks all participants on this thread. You have inspired me to consider trip to Rochester Hills, MI from Chicago.

Need your guidance and help to plan the trip.

We are 4 week old owner of Model S85 from Chicago (near Highland Park, IL area)

Going from Chicago to MI, we will do full charge at St Joseph, MI supercharge.

But I need to find the charging options near Rochester, MI, so that we can start our return trip with full charge back to Chicago.

Any feedback, suggestions will be of great help.

Lalit

First of all thanks all participants on this thread. You have inspired me to consider trip to Rochester Hills, MI from Chicago.

Need your guidance and help to plan the trip.

We are 4 week old owner of Model S85 from Chicago (near Highland Park, IL area)

Going from Chicago to MI, we will do full charge at St Joseph, MI supercharge.

But I need to find the charging options near Rochester, MI, so that we can start our return trip with full charge back to Chicago.

Any feedback, suggestions will be of great help.

Lalit

You can use the HPWC at my home or office. My office is in Royal Oak and my home is closer to Rochester. PM if you're interested.

Well, I made it there and back. I'll try to write a full trip report later. The trip was rather stressful, though there were many fun bits.

Crossed the ice storm on the way out and ran just ahead of the polar vortex on the way back. ICEd a couple of times at Ingersoll. I really needed the 70 amp charging -- I wouldn't have wanted to do it on anything slower. Thanks, michiganmodels (and also thanks to Sun Country Highway). Also thanks to michiganmodels for the great restaurant recommendation :biggrin:

Unplowed roads in Lansing, MI were the worst part -- murderous for range -- had to stop repeatedly to whack out the gunk in the wheel wells. With current firmware, Model S unfortunately won't stay in "high" suspension mode at city driving speeds, which would have been really really useful on the unplowed roads.