Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to install my 22" Wheels and Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today Discount Tire refused to install my brand new 22"Black Onyx Wheels and Pirelli Scorpion Zero Tires. There reason, the Air Pressure Sticker only lists the 20" wheels and tires it came with. They said they cannot legally put 22" wheels and tires on my 2020 Model X. They said I should get Tesla to put on a different tire pressure sticker. Has any other Model X owners faced this problem? I explained They are Tesla Wheels and tires (sold on their website), but they refused to mount them.

They actually had the new 22" wheels mounted and after reading the tire sticker inside the driver's door took them off and put my 20" wheels back on. Wasted my time and theirs.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 84
Wow.

Ironically, a Tesla Service Center might have done this with no complaints whatsoever. They might have even changed the wheel size in the control panel for you. That's why it's there, right?

I appreciate the liability angle, but assuming you weren't changing the overall diameter with your size selection (which you didn't mention), this doesn't seem like they would be exposing themselves too much.

Upvote 0
Today Discount Tire refused to install my brand new 22"Black Onyx Wheels and Pirelli Scorpion Zero Tires. There reason, the Air Pressure Sticker only lists the 20" wheels and tires it came with. They said they cannot legally put 22" wheels and tires on my 2020 Model X. They said I should get Tesla to put on a different tire pressure sticker. Has any other Model X owners faced this problem? I explained They are Tesla Wheels and tires (sold on their website), but they refused to mount them.

They actually had the new 22" wheels mounted and after reading the tire sticker inside the driver's door took them off and put my 20" wheels back on. Wasted my time and theirs.

it's not a "legally" thing, it's a "cover their own asses" kind of thing.

Upvote 0
What horse *sugar*. Did you ask them about all the other aftermarket wheels and tires they sell to other car owners and how they may not match the size of the wheels and tires they took delivery with?

Seriously the weakest excuse I've ever heard from a tire shop.

FWIW, my X came with the 22" wheels and I purchased a set of 20's from my local Discount Tire.

Edit. Did this website actually just turn the word I typed into another word. What the hell is up with that?

Upvote 0