Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to Make Sense of Recent Software Versions, Update Numbers, and Downloads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am off (to gym). But see Post#37 and the following replies in this thread: Anyone Else.... It may help (or not).

To EVERYONE: Make sure you have a good, reliable connection to the Internet (e.g., strong connection to your home network) wherever the car is parked. I still have the premium connectivity thing, so maybe I get additional cellular phone Internet service in the car too? (Do I have that right? It seems like my Model X can download an update anywhere I am, around town.)
As far as I know you can’t download updates with premium connectivity, only by WiFi. Although you can use hotspot from a mobile phone to download when you get notice of an update

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
DACD972F-3A61-4AE9-B1CD-3F89C128E80E.jpeg

Just to cut everyone trying to figure this out a bit of slack, even the app release notes aren’t consistent. This app update I just had says Sentry Live View requires 2021.40.5+. I got the live view feature with 2021.36.8, my current car software.
🤷‍♂️

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
...Just to cut everyone trying to figure this out a bit of slack, even the app release notes aren’t consistent. This app update I just had says Sentry Live View requires 2021.40.5+. I got the live view feature with 2021.36.8, my current car software.
🤷‍♂️

Interesting. I don't think what the App update language reads is true (which is your point). It arguably should instead say "version 2021.36.8+ required." As the chart in Post #1 shows, this feature has now been released in both software update "streams"/"branches"/"tracks."

Meanwhile, I have 2021.36.8 but do not have Sentry Live View. Why? Right MCU; right region; have Premium Connectivity; wrong car. (Has to be refreshed Models S & X, or Models 3 & Y.) No wonder people get confused.

This raises another issue.

To reduce size of the chart, I followed an arbitrary rule to list features once, when they are first introduced, and assumed that subsequent releases continued to include the previously-released features.

So should the Chart only list the Sentry View Live feature first (10/27/21--note that early, out-of-sequence date) being introduced in the left-hand (Production Build) branch (under 2021.36.8)? Or should it also list this feature as being separately released (11/06/21) in right-hand branch at 2021.36.8.5? In other words, are the two "branches" actually distinct things? Is there one staff team working on general production builds and another team working on FSD Beta software? (Do they share the same lunch table?) Do non-FSD features introduced in production build versions automatically find their way into subsequent FSD-beta-tester builds? Or must they be consciously added into the Beta-Build branch software releases? (Minutia? Perhaps. But understanding this may be important to understanding Tesla's whole software download procedure.)

*****​

FYI: I incorporated the latest FSD Beta download (v10.6) into the Chart. I believe Tesla employees are getting it first (today); the rest of us soon (barring problems).

*****​

Also made some format changes. I would like to have the entire chart in one image, but I am not yet sure how to do that (so that the typeprint can be read) with the tools I have.

Last edited:
I am off (to gym). But see Post#37 and the following replies in this thread: Anyone Else.... It may help (or not).

To EVERYONE: Make sure you have a good, reliable connection to the Internet (e.g., strong connection to your home network) wherever the car is parked. I still have the premium connectivity thing, so maybe I get additional cellular phone Internet service in the car too? (Do I have that right? It seems like my Model X can download an update anywhere I am, around town.)
Connected to very strong wifi, but hasn't helped. I should add my previous FW was 2021.36.5.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I am not a Tesla insider (I am a retired IBM software engineer) but as I understand it, Tesla's releases are snapshots of a given week's software level. Eg: 36.8 is the eighth version of the week 36 software level. Tesla almost certainly follows a software development process called 'agile' where both new function and fixes to current function are continuously added to a development stream. That stream is then checkpointed at intervals, tested, fixed/updated as necessary (thus the eighth version of the week 36 build) and then released to users. The release is done in a staged manner to groups of users rather than to everyone at once so that if there is a problem only a subset of users will be affected. If a serious problem is found after the initial release, then you might see a 36.8.x 'fix' build for example.

If the above is correct, then when (for example) I get 40.6 I will not only get Tidal support and a tone when TACC is turned on (things that were added to the development stream after week 36), but also any fixes that were implemented between week 36 and week 40 even if Tesla doesn't explicitly talk about them in the release notes.

That takes me to the FSD release stream. I have to speculate here. Possibly it is an entirely different stream to which are added changes from the 'regular' stream (or vice-versa - the regular stream gets stuff from the FSD stream...) or possibly there really is only one stream but the FSD function is either walled-off in or deleted from the non-FSD releases and then the FSD version is given a unique version number. The latter would make more sense from an external point of view but perhaps Tesla has some good reason for keeping them completely separate.

It is in Tesla's best interests to have as few development streams as possible since each stream needs extensive testing and that is expensive. Likewise, it is in Tesla's best interests to have as few releases to support in the field as possible. Where they do maintain multiple/separate releases, they must have a good reason such as hardware-specific support, local regulations, or the staged release cycle that I mentioned above. When you see something like my experience of getting 3.106 after 4.18.1, it must have been worthwhile to Tesla to update the week 3 build with function/fixes from later builds rather than move my car to a later week's build (or stay on week 4 with those updates). I will guess that they did that because I have one of the unique chipsets which were being implemented this summer and it took until the week 32 build for support for my chipset to be part of the normal/common development stream.

I would expect that in the future there will only be one development stream and that FSD will always be present but gated by a software switch much like the acceleration boost for LRs or heated seats for standard models.

I have always thought that tesla must be following "agile" or some offset of it that also has a "continuous improvement" type methodology. FWIW, you explained it here better than it was explained to us when it was rolled out where I work at. 👍

I was just looking at TeslaFi and NotATeslaApp and it appears that the current non-FSD version is 2021.40.6 and is almost universal now. All of the other versions that still have a sizable number of cars are FSD versions and my guess is that they will all start getting the latest version in the next week because one of the features is a "3 strikes and you're out" clause.

Over the last few months though there appeared to be way too many versions floating around but that is changing. My guess is a 2022 version will appear that supersedes them all and brings it back together.

I was just looking at TeslaFi and NotATeslaApp and it appears that the current non-FSD version is 2021.40.6 and is almost universal now. All of the other versions that still have a sizable number of cars are FSD versions and my guess is that they will all start getting the latest version in the next week because one of the features is a "3 strikes and you're out" clause.

As you probably know, FSD Beta v10.6 was supposed to be distributed to employees to try first. Software version 2021.36.8.9 with FSD Beta v10.6 was actually downloaded to "the masses" (including yours truly) starting Saturday; earlier than we might have expected.

Over the last few months though there appeared to be way too many versions floating around but that is changing. My guess is a 2022 version will appear that supersedes them all and brings it back together.

That makes sense.

As an experiment I introduced a different way (with full-size images) to present the (updated) three-part Chart in Post #1.

Reactions: ss71
Reading across various threads my election to opt in to FSD beta may have frozen my update plan. Is the FSD getting close to 68 average scores yet :)

Any attorneys reading this thread with an opinion on small claims court or arbitration on 1/1/2022 when my $10,000 FSD still doesn't work on city streets? And yes, I get the difference between marketing and contracts, etc. but bet I can show a pattern of misrepresentation going back years and specific "promises" on the website when I place my 4/2021 order. Others must be thinking this too right? Is there a way to push together outside of a class action? I'll do a success based fee structure on my recovery LOL

You say "almost universal", but (for example) my own model 3, which has FSD but has never (and will never) be in the gamified FSD beta beta (I call it that because FSD is already beta) is still on 2021.36.5.1.

People use those apps (teslafi, etc) as if they are a defacto standard on "what the fleet is on" and while they are useful for statistics to get an idea, making a blanket statement like the above will just frustrate others who still dont have it and "read on TMC that its universal now... why dont I have it".

Reactions: SalisburySam
I've revised Post #1 to present the Chart as a table in the TMC Forum software. It is not as attractive this way, but it is more functional:
  1. It is much easier for me to edit.

2. The Chart can now be searched (using your browser's search function) for key words and numbers, making it easier for readers to find a particular version number or feature name (or error).
I should have done this from the start, but the TMC Forum table software is crude and tedious to work with (for large tables). Glad to have it, though.

So if I understand correctly, you:
  • Are supposed to be an FSD Beta Tester, right?
  • Have 2021.36.5.1?
And your daughter:
  • Is not an FSD Beta Tester?
  • Has 2021.40.6?
Yes, that sounds confusing. First off, 2021.36.5.1 is not an FSD Beta testing version, afaik.

Did you ever have any of the FSD Beta versions (32.25, 36.5.2, 36.5.3, 36.8.5, 36.8.6, 36.8.7, 36.8.8)?

Based on your post and those of others, I definitely have to re-think the chart. I'm on it. Despite the chart's shortcomings, we do know that people on the Production Builds track(s) can potentially get up to 2021.40.6 and all the latest features (except not FSD Beta testing), while people on the true (whatever that is) FSD Beta-testing track(s) do not have any of the "40-" updates, so no waypoints and no updated "Additional Vehicle Information" pop-up. (My car is like that: FSD Beta but at 36.8.8 but with no waypoints or additional pop-up info.)

Do note that part of the missing features issue may have to do with the fact that new, refreshed vehicles (e.g., Models S & Y), have new hardware that older cars may not have. Nevertheless, there are still many questions.

I'll go back and study the updates again.
I am on 36.5.1 and have the safety score limiter that will only get me beta when I’m in the safety rating to enable it and they decide I’m safe enough 😔. I don’t have fad beta just the button to request it.

In Post #1 I mentioned other TMC Forum threads that are discussing FSD Beta, various features of interest, and software updates in general. Here is a short list of threads I have found interesting and sources of information:
There are others.

Reactions: elf9
My MYP has been on 2021.36.5.5 for 45 days. After read through threads and TeslaFi stats, does it has to do with chipset shortages? Tesla is using all different chipset they can find on all vehicles made in 2021. Do they need to write the code differently for each chipset? All MYP with 2021.40 are the ones manufactured a while ago, if you look at VIN numbers while those left behind are the new vehicles.

I’m no expert, just my speculation.

I think, based on what I've been seeing, including my own experience... that they are keeping cars with FSD but not actively participating in the FSD Beta on the 36.5.1 or some flavor of 36.x. branch. I've been on 36.5.1 since the first week of Nov.

That might be because they don't want to update a car with FSD to beta after it's been updated to 40.x or 44.x since that would technically be a version downgrade as the most current FSD Beta version is still in the 36.x branch.

My FSD subscription expires tomorrow and I'm not renewing it for now. It will be interesting to see if I'm offered and upgrade from 36.5.1 to 40.x or 44.x after the sub expires.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I think, based on what I've been seeing, including my own experience... that they are keeping cars with FSD but not actively participating in the FSD Beta on the 36.5.1 or some flavor of 36.x. branch. I've been on 36.5.1 since the first week of Nov.

That might be because they don't want to update a car with FSD to beta after it's been updated to 40.x or 44.x since that would technically be a version downgrade as the most current FSD Beta version is still in the 36.x branch.

My FSD subscription expires tomorrow and I'm not renewing it for now. It will be interesting to see if I'm offered and upgrade from 36.5.1 to 40.x or 44.x after the sub expires.
I took delivery of my 2021 M3P in September. It came with 2021.11.103. It took quite some time but it finally updated to 2021.36.5.5 on 10/28.

I don't have FSD and have not seen any additional updates.

Last edited: