Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to Make Sense of Recent Software Versions, Update Numbers, and Downloads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my 2021 M3P in September. It came with 2021.11.103. It took quite some time but it finally updated to 2021.36.5.5 on 10/28.

I don't have FSD and have not seen any additional updates.
What I said may not be a true for everyone or anyone. This is all just speculation since Tesla does not disclose how they choose who gets what versions. So far the only people who are on somewhat predictable update cycles are the FSD Beta testers. They get updates every 2(ish) weeks.

You may be held back for a completely different reason then I hypothesized... Or maybe it's completely random and I'm drawing conclusions that are not accurate based on my fairly small sample size of data. Only Tesla knows for sure and they have not been forthcoming with information regarding their vehicle update processes or logic.

I think, based on what I've been seeing, including my own experience... that they are keeping cars with FSD but not actively participating in the FSD Beta on the 36.5.1 or some flavor of 36.x. branch. I've been on 36.5.1 since the first week of Nov.

That might be because they don't want to update a car with FSD to beta after it's been updated to 40.x or 44.x since that would technically be a version downgrade as the most current FSD Beta version is still in the 36.x branch.
I think this must be correct. We have two early 2018 model 3's with FSD and hit the "button" on both of them. They have been stuck on 36.5.1 since then. This is in contrast to the past where we are usually early in any cycle of major releases. We have the premium connectivity and good wifi connection so the only thing that seems different is our status after hitting the button. And with the way cars park on our street and construction on nearby streets we keep getting emergency braking warnings when they are not needed and so our scores are not pretty.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I think this must be correct. We have two early 2018 model 3's with FSD and hit the "button" on both of them. They have been stuck on 36.5.1 since then. This is in contrast to the past where we are usually early in any cycle of major releases. We have the premium connectivity and good wifi connection so the only thing that seems different is our status after hitting the button. And with the way cars park on our street and construction on nearby streets we keep getting emergency braking warnings when they are not needed and so our scores are not pretty.
Same, I did fail to say earlier that I hit the button and was opted into the FSD Beta back in version 32.22 for several days in late September before I decided to opt back out. The turning point did seem to be when I hit that button. I was usually getting updates every 2 to 3 weeks but ever since I hit the button, I've only had one update to 36.5.1 during first week of Nov... and that one took over a month to get from 32.22 which I got in September.

I see a bunch of cars stuck at 36.5.1 on TeslaFI and I'm curious if all of those are non-beta participating FSD cars that had hit the button at one time or another. I actually see they are still pushing 36.5.1 out to cars... 69 Pending installs reported on TeslaFi as of 12/13/2021 @ 7pm CST.

Last edited:
Same, I did fail to say earlier that I hit the button and was opted into the FSD Beta back in version 32.22 for several days in late September before I decided to opt back out. The turning point did seem to be when I hit that button. I was usually getting updates every 2 to 3 weeks but ever since I hit the button, I've only had one update to 36.5.1 during first week of Nov... and that one took over a month to get from 32.22 which I got in September.

I see a bunch of cars stuck at 36.5.1 on TeslaFI and I'm curious if all of those are non-beta participating FSD cars that had hit the button at one time or another. I actually see they are still pushing 36.5.1 out to cars... 69 Pending installs reported on TeslaFi as of 12/13/2021 @ 7pm CST.
That's what I thought too, that 36.5.1 is a waiting room for the FSD Beta, but not the beta itself.
Meanwhile, after waiting a bit for 40.6 for Tidal, I have yet another release in the queue right now, 44.5. I'm going to take a look at the release notes.

Edit: Nothing to get excited about in 44.5.

Reactions: Foxtrotter
That's what I thought too, that 36.5.1 is a waiting room for the FSD Beta, but not the beta itself.
Meanwhile, after waiting a bit for 40.6 for Tidal, I have yet another release in the queue right now, 44.5. I'm going to take a look at the release notes.

Edit: Nothing to get excited about in 44.5.
My sub is up after 12/14. I may be kicked out of the FSD Beta waiting room (36.5.1), if that is what it really is, once my FSD sub drops off. All of this is still heavy conjecture though. I'll post here if I get offered an update after my Sub expires.

Same situation for me. Stuck in 36.5.1 after being stuck in 32.22 for a month. Opted in and back out of the beta.

Reactions: SalisburySam
2021.36.5.1 is definitely not an FSD Beta version. I have it and there are no beta functions. Model 3 LR RWD 06/18 build, EAP + FSD.
Correct... Our discussion has been around the fact that we think that 36.5.1 is a "waiting room" version for FSD cars that have the FSD Package (purchased or active sub) and may have hit the button to sign up for the beta at one time, even if you have since opted back out. It seems like people that met that criteria got held back.

The current FSD Beta is still in the 36.x software train so the thought is that they may be holding cars back that could potentially be invited in the future to avoid having to downgrade them should they get invited. Since the current production builds are in the 44.x train, having your car upgraded to the current production build and then invited to FSD beta would technically be a version downgrade and there may be reasons they want to avoid that scenario.

All of this is conjecture though and by no means, confirmed information. Just conclusions based on circumstantial evidence.

Reactions: sdmack
Well, I had pushed the button to opt out of FSD Beta and see if I can get off of 2021.36.5.1, but after a few days of no change I opted back in. 🤷‍♂️ My safety scores reset. I would opt back out if I thought it might make a difference.
I'll be really ticked off if there's a Christmas update and I don't get it.

Correct... Our discussion has been around the fact that we think that 36.5.1 is a "waiting room" version for FSD cars that have the FSD Package (purchased or active sub) and may have hit the button to sign up for the beta at one time, even if you have since opted back out. It seems like people that met that criteria got held back.

The current FSD Beta is still in the 36.x software train so the thought is that they may be holding cars back that could potentially be invited in the future to avoid having to downgrade them should they get invited. Since the current production builds are in the 44.x train, having your car upgraded to the current production build and then invited to FSD beta would technically be a version downgrade and there may be reasons they want to avoid that scenario.

All of this is conjecture though and by no means, confirmed information. Just conclusions based on circumstantial evidence.
So interesting thing happened. My FSD sub fell off last night at midnight so my car reverted back to the the basic autopilot package. It is a Model Y LR built in Jan. 2021.

Almost immediately after my sub fell off, I was offered 40.6. So it does seem to be like 36.5.1 is a "holding" or "waiting room" version of some sort. It doesn't seem like opting out of Beta takes you out of this waiting room either... just hitting the button at some point is all it seems to take to put you in there. It really looks like they keep FSD Cars that hit the Beta Button, even if they have since opted out, in that "waiting room".

As I said before, this is all conjecture with no confirmed information from Tesla it self.

Reactions: jblack41510
Well, I had pushed the button to opt out of FSD Beta and see if I can get off of 2021.36.5.1, but after a few days of no change I opted back in. 🤷‍♂️ My safety scores reset. I would opt back out if I thought it might make a difference.
I'll be really ticked off if there's a Christmas update and I don't get it.
That's why I'm saying ya'll should keep emailing [email protected] and get them to fix this. I've sent them 3 emails over the past month. The more people we have complaining, the faster they will fix it. Not having live sentry and waypoints over some dumb bug is really starting to tick me off as well.

Noticed something recently (in the past week or two) that may be tied to the 2021.36._ updates, or not? (A) regenerative braking (RB) is suddenly reduced when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal (I'm actually having to actually use the brake pedal on low-speed surface streets) and (B) there is now no regenerative braking control in my "Driving" display screen.

Anyone else have this situation? Is this permanent (due to a software update) or temporary (season- or temperature-related)?

Noticed something recently (in the past week or two) that may be tied to the 2021.36._ updates, or not? (A) regenerative braking (RB) is suddenly reduced when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal (I'm actually having to actually use the brake pedal on low-speed surface streets) and (B) there is now no regenerative braking control in my "Driving" display screen.

Anyone else have this situation? Is this permanent (due to a software update) or temporary (season- or temperature-related)?

Checked with folks at my nearby Superchargers location. Was told that regenerative braking is reduced or absent during cold periods (e.g., under 40°F). Sorry to see it (temporarily) disappear, but happy it is not a problem with my car or due to a recent update. (This is my first winter with a Tesla.)

Fwiw, I could swear that regen worked better when I first picked up my car (early August) but some time in late August or September I started needing to use the brake pedal more. I figured that they nerfed it with an update. Now that it is getting cold here I regularly see the warning about regen being reduced but it seems like a different issue to me.

Checked with folks at my nearby Superchargers location. Was told that regenerative braking is reduced or absent during cold periods (e.g., under 40°F). Sorry to see it (temporarily) disappear, but happy it is not a problem with my car or due to a recent update. (This is my first winter with a Tesla.)

Ah, the first winter of EV ownership... :) Yep, reduced regen braking is totally expected when the temps drop. You'll start seeing it if the temps drop below 60 F for extended periods and it gets worse the lower the temps drop. As the battery warms up with use during the day, you'll get some back. This can take hours of driving to fully warm the battery pack since it is 1,000 pounds of stuff. Look in the Owner's Manual in the Troubleshooting Alerts section for more details - lots of good info in the manual. The indication that you have reduced braking power is the dots in the power meter on the display (image from Owner's Manual...).

page244image16826784

Attachments

• 1639888466410.png
    1639888466410.png
    174 bytes · Views: 69
  • 1639888466441.png
    1639888466441.png
    181 bytes · Views: 58
  • 1639888466498.png
    1639888466498.png
    162 bytes · Views: 50
  • 1639888466527.png
    1639888466527.png
    172 bytes · Views: 52
  • Informative
Reactions: Bouba and tps5352
The regen braking is inherent to the car and only the capacity of the battery to take it impacts the capability. If your battery is full there is no regen braking and if your battery is cold it is reduced. It is completely in line with speed of charging, which slows down as it fills up, and also is slow when it is cold.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
More specifically, its impacted by a cold battery, not by the cold itself. Once the battery warms up, the regen ability comes back. In really cold weather, it may take a while for the battery to warm up unless you pre-conditioned it before leaving.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352