Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to make sense over PPF and Ceramic Coat ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Can someone please shed some lights on my regarding those super expensive package to install PPF and Ceramic Coat? I have seen some places ask up to 7k for installing PPF and Ceramic Coat. Are Tesla owners so rich that shops can just ask way over a reasonable rate and still get people to lined up to pay them?

My point is, the purpose of PPF and Ceramic Coat is PAINT PROTECTION. Now, the cost of repaint a Tesla or most cars is around $1500-$3000. Why would a preventative method be more expensive than the treatment? It's almost like saying, you should pay $100,000 in insurance premium to cover a $50,000 car...

I guess it depends on how many dings and scratches you can tolerate before pulling the trigger on a repaint. So until it hits that point you will see all those imperfections and could possibly get another scratch as you’re driving it home from the paint shop. The ceramic just makes cleaning and washing easier so that is a little different. That being said I think in a 50k car spending more than 10% of value is a lot. I’m planning on doing just the high impact areas (full front) ppf and still on the fence about ceramic. Should only run 2k which is easier to swallow

Agree. I used to own a Genesis G80 and only did partial front. That was only about $500 making it the best investment on the car so far but 7k is just plain ridiculous no matter how good the film is. It is also one time use once you peel the film away anyway. Business is hard.

I guess it depends on how many dings and scratches you can tolerate before pulling the trigger on a repaint. So until it hits that point you will see all those imperfections and could possibly get another scratch as you’re driving it home from the paint shop. The ceramic just makes cleaning and washing easier so that is a little different. That being said I think in a 50k car spending more than 10% of value is a lot. I’m planning on doing just the high impact areas (full front) ppf and still on the fence about ceramic. Should only run 2k which is easier to swallow

Based on my past experience, best to do front ppf and then ceramic on top. Just get a cheap ceramic if you like to take care of your car since after certain amount of washes, the ceramic will be gone no matter how "excellent" the ceramic is.

I paid $700 to have PPF applied to the front of my 2020 Model S. It covers the front bumper and about 1/3 of the hood, along with the headlights and side-view mirrors. Mostly just the high-impact spots for rock chips. I think it was worth it. I'm still contemplating having a Ceramic layer applied. I think I can get that done for around $750 here, but I actually kind of enjoy washing and waxing my own cars...

I paid $700 to have PPF applied to the front of my 2020 Model S. It covers the front bumper and about 1/3 of the hood, along with the headlights and side-view mirrors. Mostly just the high-impact spots for rock chips. I think it was worth it. I'm still contemplating having a Ceramic layer applied. I think I can get that done for around $750 here, but I actually kind of enjoy washing and waxing my own cars...
There are some hybrid ceramic products that are fairly easy for car enthusiasts to apply themselves. Take a look at the Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic spray, about $15 and should last a min of 6 months, possibly longer depending on the weather and environment you drive in. There are a lot of YouTube videos on the Turtle Wax and is a great bang for the buck if you have a weekend to spend on the car.

Mine had a full PPF when I bought it. It does make washing the car much easier as any scratches disappear after the car sits in the sun a bit. That said, I would not pay to have it done to the entire car if it was new. The front bumper and hood I would do but not the rest. I would also add that it would depend on how long I was keeping the car because I don't think it adds much if any resale value.

Hi guys,

Can someone please shed some lights on my regarding those super expensive package to install PPF and Ceramic Coat? I have seen some places ask up to 7k for installing PPF and Ceramic Coat. Are Tesla owners so rich that shops can just ask way over a reasonable rate and still get people to lined up to pay them?

My point is, the purpose of PPF and Ceramic Coat is PAINT PROTECTION. Now, the cost of repaint a Tesla or most cars is around $1500-$3000. Why would a preventative method be more expensive than the treatment? It's almost like saying, you should pay $100,000 in insurance premium to cover a $50,000 car...

I've been saying this since day 1. What's even worse is that people are paying 12k+. They will argue about it but it doesn't make sense. Doesn't matter how great you keep the original paint the car is still not going to be worth much in 10years when model 5 is out and when you get in a fender bender the body shop is taking off the ppf and painting the car.

The bumper painted from tesla is apparently only around $1000 installed.

Last edited:
I will admit that my full PPF was simply aesthetic since I went with STEK Dynomatt. I shopped getting just the front half and ceramic coating the rest but figured if I was already spending the money, I might as well go for full wrap. Because the film already had hydrophobic qualities, I decided to forgo ceramic coating on the body and only did the wheels.

Typically the price includes first a full paint correction, then PPF and finally a pro level ceramic coating (lasts years). On my car I did the paint correction and ceramic myself and only paid for full PPF and de-chrome for 4K. That was still a bit steep, but after seeing how easily the Tesla paint can scratch, etc, I pulled the trigger as I plan to keep the car for 5-7 years. I have a warranty of 4 years on the PPF which was acceptable for me. If I were leasing the car or only intending to keep it for 3 years or so I would not have done so.

The self healing properties are pretty awesome if you live in a climate that can have seasonal harsh conditions. If you are willing to do some of the work yourself you can likely cut the cost down significantly. I also made sure they did not use pre-cut PPF for the panels and instead custom cut. This ensures they can cover all the panels without showing the edges as much as possible. The edges of PPF can collect dirt, etc, and I want to avoid that as much as possible.

So was it worth it? So far yes and I couldn't be happier. The car looks fantastic and door dings, rocker panels and front rock chips, etc, are non-existent. The gloss and hydrophobic properties make maintenance washes fairly easy and less time consuming which is also a benefit long term.

It's ultimately an individual choice. I am comfortable doing my own ceramic coating (Gyeon PPF with Gyeon Wet Coat for maintenance) and I always have comments like "wow, how do you keep your car so clean?" Charging at SuC's next to cars without it highlights to me the value. So many cars can look like utter crap especially in winter here in Switzerland! A quick foam cannon and rinse and I'm like new and it takes 15 min a week in maintenance. Sure, you can skip the PPF and ceramic coat the bare paint but this won't help with the swirls, rock chips, and stuff the winter roads can throw at your paint.

Reactions: neelpsu
Ok... so I have a LExus RX350 with the biggest front grill and hood you can imagine.

I also came from an old Toyota with a million rock chips in the front bumper, A Pillars, even side mirros, nail scratches in the door cups, and micoscratches in the paint, as well as etched bird poop that won't come out.

You don't HAVE to get the ceramic coating. It increases your overall price when you install your PPF. I have done my own ceramic coating 4x's now on both of our cars with zero issues. Just need to find the correct ceramic coating and learn the technique.

Here is why the PPF is worth it. Yes, why not just repaint the car at that point. The problem is once you have a factory painted car, it's very hard to duplicate a factory painted car again. Not sure about Tesla with all their current issues but imagine different shades of white in different areas. It's never going to be the same.

The PPF protects your factory paint after you paint correct it etc. It makes car washing super easy. If you have Tesla haters, it takes alot more effort for them to key your car. Also, the PPF is self healing.

The ceramic coating is like applying sunscreen to your skin. It protects it one step further by adding an additional layer on top. Dust and grime can be washed off super easily. Bird poop can sit there for days and come off no problems. It also makes your paint pop more depending on the kind you get.

Overall, my car, we are going to with xpel stealth and I'll apply my own ceramic coating.