Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to play mp3's without the 400 bugs and hurdles Tesla throws at you...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is actually currently available, at least in the US. For 17$. But maybe not Norway, sorry. I realize that trying a lot of things can be tiresome; that's why debugging things doesn't always get done. I was going to go ahead and try the nvme route, but this m2 sata thing worked, so didn't bother.

As for ext4 - I bought a nifty little extension application for my mac from Paragon software that adds ext4 support. They also make a similar app for windows I believe. Beats the hell out of starting up a VM.

I will try ext4 on my SSD and post the result here if it actually makes a difference. Installed Ubuntu on an old laptop to be used for transferring music.

Sorry, but I've been lurking and wanted the best advice or thread for getting Apple music songs onto a USB or SSD. I can do the formatting on my Mac (though my one-day old Model 3 automatically formats USB drives when inserted!), but it's getting from Apple's format to mp3 that fools me. Some songs do fine and the rest won't load in the Tesla. Suggestions for software or other threads? TG

Sorry, but I've been lurking and wanted the best advice or thread for getting Apple music songs onto a USB or SSD. I can do the formatting on my Mac (though my one-day old Model 3 automatically formats USB drives when inserted!), but it's getting from Apple's format to mp3 that fools me. Some songs do fine and the rest won't load in the Tesla. Suggestions for software or other threads? TG
I'm not a Mac user, but I assume that you are using the Apple Music program to do the conversion, and as I understand, some of the converted mp3's do not show up in your Model 3?

The first thing I would check is that the "invisible" mp3's play fine on your computer, and that they have valid ID3 information embedded. On Windows I use Mp3Tag to check and modify this, surely there must be a similar program for Mac.

If you format the drive on your Mac and not letting the car do it, and you are using ext4, then also check the directory and file access rights. I actually had to set them to 666 for all files and 777 for all directories for music to be detected in the car when using ext4 from Ubuntu. Otherwise nothing showed up.

Surely there are Mac users here that perhaps can contribute with further tips based on their own experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
My only big problem is that the drive takes so long to spin up that if the car is sleeping and I approach and open the door, it will give up and not show the USB drive and therefore forget where it was. So I have to select USB and select something to play. Luckily there is a workaround -- I can wake the car with the app a minute before, and everything is perfect.
I have ordered a 1 TB SSD to see if this reacts so fast that I eliminate the problem, though I really would like Tesla to allow more time for spinup in the software. I feel a hard drive is the best choice for continuous recording of TeslaCam, it will not be worn out by overwrites. I will leave it for TeslaCam while using the new SSD for music.

That was me up until 12 days ago with a 500GB T5. Waking up via the app is a extra ridiculous step, but it works.

I have connections just south of you in Porsgrunn. Alt for Norge.

That was me up until 12 days ago with a 500GB T5. Waking up via the app is a extra ridiculous step, but it works.

I have connections just south of you in Porsgrunn. Alt for Norge.

Greetings from Norway :)

I did not understand what happened for you 12 days ago...transition from spinning disk to SSD and thereby getting rid of the problem?

Anyhow, I had the same problem with the 1TB SSD I got, still using exFAT. No resume when in deep sleep.

Since then I formatted the SSD with ext4 from Ubuntu, copied the music collection to it, changed attributes recursively to 666 for files and 777 for folders to get the car to detect the music. After this it actually continues playing even when deep-sleeping :) Problem solved.

BUT I have lost cover art display, and I miss it because I had made sure all files have art embedded. I am not sure if this has to do with the file system change in some strange way, or if one of the most recent software updates has removed cover art support. I will have experiment to see if I can find the triggering factor.

Since then I formatted the SSD with ext4 from Ubuntu, copied the music collection to it, changed attributes recursively to 666 for files and 777 for folders to get the car to detect the music. After this it actually continues playing even when deep-sleeping :) Problem solved.
Hooray - glad that works for you also!

BUT I have lost cover art display, and I miss it because I had made sure all files have art embedded. I am not sure if this has to do with the file system change in some strange way, or if one of the most recent software updates has removed cover art support. I will have experiment to see if I can find the triggering factor.
This is a known software bug, introduced four updates ago, that tesla still hasn't fixed.

I have a 500 Gb WD NvME SSD drive in a USB enclosure formatted as ext4 on Windows with guiformat, but it won't autoresume without waking the car up via the app beforehand. Even then not always...

Are you telling me i need to find a Linux machine somewhere and figure how to set 666 perms on files and 777 on folders before autoresume will work?

Forgive me, but I'm skeptical...

Ian

I have a 500 Gb WD NvME SSD drive in a USB enclosure formatted as ext4 on Windows with guiformat, but it won't autoresume without waking the car up via the app beforehand. Even then not always...

Are you telling me i need to find a Linux machine somewhere and figure how to set 666 perms on files and 777 on folders before autoresume will work?

Forgive me, but I'm skeptical...

Ian

When I formatted the 1TB SSD from Ubuntu as ext4 and then, still on Ubuntu, copied the music collection from the master disk (NTFS) to the newly formatted ext4 drive, the car did not detect any music at all.

To check if limited access rights was the problem, I did set it to 666 and 777 (maximum allowed, perhaps a narrower mask would do as well). This fixed the problem and the music was detected and shown. And resume works.

find <root of music disk> -type f -exec chmod 666 {} \;
find <root of music disk> -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;

Last edited:
What do you mean by Apple's format? Are you talking about AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF or something else? Where did those songs that don't play/load in the Tesla come from? Were some of them DRMed purchased songs from iTunes Store? Or, did you rip them from CDs? iTunes had import settings that you let chose to encode those ripped CDs to MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF, etc.

I'm a PC guy but do use iTunes for Windows. I also do use a Mac for a living (for my day job), but I don't do anything w/music on my work Mac and don't sync my personal iPhone 8 (nor personal iPods) with my work Mac.

Can you do a Cmd-I (I for info) on the files in question? Maybe in the iTunes replacement for the Mac, you can right click on a song and go to Song Info > File? (Not sure, I'm looking at iTunes for Windows which is still the app to use...)

i've been using the Paradox ext4 utility extension on my mac and it doesn't have any options for setting permissions, and it just works.

I wanted to update everyone on my experiences since I began this post.

After trying every possible type of drive and format option, I had Tesla come and replace my USB module because they couldn't figure it out either over the phone. The new module was a different (and newer, obviously) chipset, so I had high hopes with that swap, but... the problem remained. No matter what kind of device or formatting method, the car would re-scan every time.

So I went back to basics- I tried a small USB drive with just a couple of thousand songs. That worked fine, no problem. Then I tried one with more... and more. But even with just a 32 gig drive, it started to sometimes have to re-scan when I entered the car. It seems obvious to me that the issue is simply: the technology isn't built to handle more than a few thousand files. Once you go beyond that, it can't keep the indexing stored on its tiny flash memory (or wherever it's storing this info.) I wish it wrote some kind of index file to the drive itself that it could reference every time you turn the car on, but it doesn't.

So my solution, after much digging, was to purchase this FIIO M6 mp3 player, which allows up to a 2TB microSD card (they currently only make 1TB) and runs on a modified Andriod OS. So you connect to the car via Bluetooth and play the music that way. It's a little quirky (being from China, it's hard to get good support documentation) but it works well. One really annoying negative is that there's no way I have found to import a playlist- you can find hack-ish tutorials on how to do it, but it hasn't worked for me. Which means I have to make the playlists manually on the device itself, and that's a pain when you have 40,000 files... but it works well otherwise and is praised as having incredibly good high-resolution bluetooth audio. At $150, that was the best method I could come up with to play my music.

Of course, one really annoying thing is that Tesla won't allow album covers to transport over bluetooth, so all my hard work tagging these obscure albums goes out the window, though the M6 itself does show them on screen- so I mount it on the phone charge port (USB-C) and let it play that way. It does have a battery that lasts several hours (I haven't quite tested that) but if you leave it plugged in, then obviously you're not even tapping into that. Now I can shuffle through 40K (and growing) songs and have my own custom radio station with no ads or crappy algorithm playlists from Spotify.

In case that helps anyone!

So my solution, after much digging, was to purchase this FIIO M6 mp3 player, which allows up to a 2TB microSD card (they currently only make 1TB) and runs on a modified Andriod OS. So you connect to the car via Bluetooth and play the music that way. It's a little quirky (being from China, it's hard to get good support documentation) but it works well. One really annoying negative is that there's no way I have found to import a playlist- you can find hack-ish tutorials on how to do it, but it hasn't worked for me. Which means I have to make the playlists manually on the device itself, and that's a pain when you have 40,000 files... but it works well otherwise and is praised as having incredibly good high-resolution bluetooth audio. At $150, that was the best method I could come up with to play my music.

Any reason why you didn't just use your phone at that point (Bluetooth music from your phone)?

I have a FIIO that I used in my previous car via the aux port. It was quirky, but worked light years better than the Tesla software. The trouble is that if you go back to bluetooth, the audio quality plummets because it can't support transfer rates high enough to do justice to more than mid-level MP3 quality. I've spent a lot of time and trouble migrating my entire collection to FLAC, and I'll be damned if I'll give that up now...

trying every possible type of drive and format option
Curious - could you be more specific about what kinds of drives you tried, and which format methods? Because I've had different results than you, with my nearly 3 year old car - no problem with recataloging, no issues with the number of files, with my m.2 msata ssd formatted with ext4.

That fiio DAP - well, it is a solution of sorts. I've used a Agptek rocker as an experiment, and while it worked fine, it makes more sense to just stream stuff from my phone if you're going to be playing stuff over bluetooth for me - there are some really great player softs available - i use one called Neutron. If there was a decent DAP with a big screen that had bluetooth and ran rockbox, I'd be all over it, which is what the Agptek was supposed to do, but the rockbox developers have never gotten the bluetooth working on it.

Last edited:
Any reason why you didn't just use your phone at that point (Bluetooth music from your phone)?
A couple of reasons. One, which also answers ianc's comment, the Bluetooth audio quality is much higher out of the FIIO than the phone. It sounds great, honestly. The second is that, for whatever reason, my phone has a lot of trouble dealing with that many files. Or maybe not the phone, but the audio playing software- I tried several, and it just takes forever to scan. Once you scan, you'd think that'd be the end of it, but next time you go to use the app, it's scanning again- I just don't think they really expect anyone to use a phone (or those apps) to that level.

And doesn't the use of the FiiO M6 prevent you from linking your phone to the MCU for calls/SMS?

Yes, which isn't ideal, but I don't use the phone that much. When I do, I have to swap bluetooth connections. I listen to music much more than I use the phone.

I have a FIIO that I used in my previous car via the aux port. It was quirky, but worked light years better than the Tesla software. The trouble is that if you go back to bluetooth, the audio quality plummets because it can't support transfer rates high enough to do justice to more than mid-level MP3 quality. I've spent a lot of time and trouble migrating my entire collection to FLAC, and I'll be damned if I'll give that up now...

With this device, you don't have to! You can FLAC it up with 1TB worth of storage. (I do 320 MB mp3's, and that works for me, but the few FLAC files I played sound great.)

Curious - could you be more specific about what kinds of drives you tried, and which format methods? Because I've had different results than you, with my nearly 3 year old car - no problem with recataloging, no issues with the number of files, with my m.2 msata ssd formatted with ext4.

That's all in the original post that started this thread- pretty much everything you can throw at me I've tried. FAT 32, EXT4, exFAT. I've tried different brand USB drives up to 256 gb size, plus different SSD (1 and 2TB sizes). And different cables, just in case it was that. I would say your success has to do with the number of files you have- but if you tell me you have 30,000 + files, then hats off to you- I'm not sure what we are doing differently. I'm on a Mac, but nothing I'm doing is mac-specific.

One thing I'm doing that I don't stress as I'm not sure it's a factor is use a direct usb cable between the drive and the USB port on the car - no hub in the way. One (or more) less chip in the signal path. But yes, I don't have a need to keep a huge library on the drive, I usually have 20-50 albums worth of files.

That's all in the original post that started this thread- pretty much everything you can throw at me I've tried. FAT 32, EXT4, exFAT. I've tried different brand USB drives up to 256 gb size, plus different SSD (1 and 2TB sizes). And different cables, just in case it was that. I would say your success has to do with the number of files you have- but if you tell me you have 30,000 + files, then hats off to you- I'm not sure what we are doing differently. I'm on a Mac, but nothing I'm doing is mac-specific.

I agree with your analysis .. although I have 170GB of music on an SSD that works fine, I'm a classical music guy and so only have about 6,500 songs, which is below the threshold where things start going awry.