Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to play USB Media results in "Loading..." Message, forever...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All.

Took delivery on my M3 and it was playing MP3's from the USB just fine. Have a 128GB card partitioned and setup correctly and both TeslaCam and the MP3s are sat happily on the same card.

Took car for a service visit for bodywork and trim, they put it in and out of service mode.

Left centre playing some tunes, about 5 mins in MCU crashed and rebooted on the road. NEVER had an MCU crash before.. Coincidence.. Much?

Music had stopped playing obviously, but once everything had recovered I tried to play the USB MP3s again and now all I get is the Loading… message forever.

00019IMG_00019_BURST20190905160531_COVER.jpg

Radio works fine, have never actually successfully played media from my phone. Sentry cam is happily writing files to the partition. I have tried a newly prepared memory sticks, card/card reader (FAT32 format as per the guide) and get the same problem. It really looks like some sort of internal index was corrupted during the MCU crash.

I have tried a Power Off and On (I assume this is what meant by a reboot) but not a full factory reset

Anyone offer any advice? – I would not rather do a full reset unless I really have to….`

Thanks!

Reactions: youngmcdonald
That picture looks like it's trying to load some kind of radio station - I've never seen those signal strength bars underneath the BBC Radio 4 thing on a USB file. Perhaps you were playing the radio, but then pressed the USB button and then got the spinning wheel. It's odd that it registered that there is indeed a USB volume present, but won't load it. The internal index rebuilds itself every time you insert a USB volume, so I doubt that's the problem, I'd suspect some kind of problem with the formatting or similar instead. Have you tried the two button reset? Are you using some kind of card reader, or usb hub or splitter? Does this happen on both USB ports? Lots of questions - we need to narrow down the potential problems.

That picture looks like it's trying to load some kind of radio station - I've never seen those signal strength bars underneath the BBC Radio 4 thing on a USB file. Perhaps you were playing the radio, but then pressed the USB button and then got the spinning wheel. It's odd that it registered that there is indeed a USB volume present, but won't load it. The internal index rebuilds itself every time you insert a USB volume, so I doubt that's the problem, I'd suspect some kind of problem with the formatting or similar instead. Have you tried the two button reset? Are you using some kind of card reader, or usb hub or splitter? Does this happen on both USB ports? Lots of questions - we need to narrow down the potential problems.

Thanks for the help.

Well I didn't know what the 2 button reset was, I do now (and perhaps feel a bit silly..)

That has fixed it - In my defence, I had powered off overnight, I kinda assumed that was most complete reset possible,,

As far as signal strength bars, they were always there when trying to access the USB, so I guess they are just a result of the state the audio got itself into... the Tesla equivalent of ctrl-alt-del seesm to have done the trick.....

Thanks for the help.

Well I didn't know what the 2 button reset was, I do now (and perhaps feel a bit silly..)

That has fixed it - In my defence, I had powered off overnight, I kinda assumed that was most complete reset possible,,

As far as signal strength bars, they were always there when trying to access the USB, so I guess they are just a result of the state the audio got itself into... the Tesla equivalent of ctrl-alt-del seesm to have done the trick.....
Glad to hear that worked. When I've had this issue (since most recent update) I usually can fix it by changing the source to radio or streaming, then back to USB. The two button reset that you did is generally referred to as a 'soft reset'. There is also a 'hard reset' which is the two button reset while holding down the brake. You might want to try this if the soft reset doesn't help whatever issue you're having.