Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to Remove 2”x2” Removable Hitch Receiver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

araxara

X-LR M3AWD, MYLR
May 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
My first use of the hitch receiver was to attach my bike rack. The instructions for doing this were fine and I had a pleasant 3 hour bike ride.

The instructions have you insert and turn the key into the locking cylinder/knob and turn the knob until it locks in place. You then just simply push the receiver up into the slot and a ball pin automatically forces 3 other ball pins to pop out and lock the receiver in place.

After getting home, I struggled for over an hour to remove the “removable” hitch receiver. The instructions have you insert and turn the key, pull on the locking cylinder/knob and turn it. The cylinder/knob is suppose to lock in place and just drop out. The cylinder/knob never locked in place. The knob is also hard to hold since it has a very hefty spring.

I called Tesla service the next day and they sent a Ranger that day to take a look. After about 20 minutes of jiggling the hitch we used a plastic dead blow hammer (which I had also repeatedly used the night before) and were able to remove the hitch. The Ranger then proceeded to insert and remove the hitch repeatedly until it became a smooth operation. The first few times took a lot of effort and some help of the dead blow hammer. I then had a go at it to make sure that it was still doable.

The knob did finally lock in place, but that only happened as the hitch was falling out. We surmised that some of the thick paint on the receiver was interfering with the hitch fully engaging and placing a strain on the locking ball pin.

Oh, and when you remove the hitch and the knob has locked in place, you can’t remove the key. The instructions have you remove the key and close the dust cover over the locking cylinder. If you want, you can “tap" on the top ball pin to unlock the cylinder and remove the key.

The hitch receiver and assembly is made by Bosal. If you want to see how this is suppose to work, there is a video online that describes this for another car, although the hitch and installation & removal procedures are the same:

I also forgot to mention that trying to place the dust cover back on is easy, but the little plastic fastener that you turn to lock it in place is difficult. I had to use a screw driver to accomplish this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: umeshunni
I had the same problem -- the pins used to hold the hitch in place were "stuck" and I couldn't get the unit installed very easily until I had to wrestle it into submission. After the first few times, it seems to get easier.