Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to see if our CPO Roadster ideal mile range loss/CAC value decrease is real...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a copy of the actual CPO or battery warranty? I'd be interested to see what caveats and stipulations are actually in the legal documents. The website doesn't list and limits or exceptions.

As sethr points out. We were provided with the same warranty (+1 more month and 1,000 more miles) as the new car bumper to bumper. The paperwork is provided when I log onto the TeslaMotors.com site.

(Big PDF)

Does anyone have a copy of the actual CPO or battery warranty? I'd be interested to see what caveats and stipulations are actually in the legal documents. The website doesn't list and limits or exceptions.

Pasted from EU Battery ESA:

Definitions:
The following capitalized terms shall have the meanings set forth below:
• “Battery” means the Vehicle’s high voltage lithium-ion battery.
• “Battery ESA” means this Battery Extended Service Agreement between You and Tesla.
• “Battery ESA Purchase Date” means the latest date listed on the signature page of this Battery ESA.
• “Effective Date” means the date that Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires. Once Your application has been accepted, Your coverage will be retroactive to this date.
“Failure” means a complete failure of the Battery due to defects in material or workmanship of any Battery manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use. Failure does not include the gradual reduction in operating performance of the Battery due to normal wear and tear.
• “Tesla Authorized Service Center” means any Service Center that is authorized by Tesla, including any Tesla Store, Tesla Service Center and any authorized third party service provider. A list of Tesla Authorized Service Centers is provided at Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles.
• “Tesla” means Tesla Motors Limited.
• “Vehicle” means the Vehicle described in the Vehicle Information Section of this Battery ESA.
• “You,” “Your” means the purchaser of this Battery ESA, or any subsequent owner to whom the subject Vehicle has been transferred pursuant to this Battery ESA, as applicable.
A. Tesla’s Responsibilities
Tesla agrees to repair or replace the Battery as required due to a Failure.
For additional information see Section G. Limits of Liability.
B. Your Responsibilities
The Owner’s Manual includes specific recommendations regarding the use, operations, and maintenance of the Vehicle. To maintain the validity of this Battery ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Battery ESA commence. Service within 1,600 kilometers and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Battery ESA. Upon customary and reasonable notice of the occurrence of a Failure, You shall protect the Vehicle from further damage, regardless of whether or not such Failure is covered under this Battery ESA. Any operation of the Vehicle that results in further damage shall be considered Your failure to protect the Vehicle and shall not be covered under this Battery ESA. You are responsible to ensure that the warning lights are functioning before driving the Vehicle. You are required to safely pull Your Vehicle off the road and turn it off immediately when any warning light indicates a problem.
The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time and use. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is NOT covered under this Battery ESA. See your Owner’s Manual for important information on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Battery.

I'm six weeks from the end of my origional warranty. I have already purchased the Extended Warranty for the car but an facing the Extended Battery Warranty expense soon. Is it really worth it based on what appears to be happening.

Any thoughts???

I'm six weeks from the end of my origional warranty. I have already purchased the Extended Warranty for the car but an facing the Extended Battery Warranty expense soon. Is it really worth it based on what appears to be happening.

Any thoughts???
Not everyone is having the same issues as Kevin; I didn't have any sort of gradual degredation problem with my battery, but my entire HV system (battery included) was replaced after I encountered a series of problems with my own vehicle (car would randomly shut down, especially under heavy regen braking, and spew a metric ton of random errors into the error log), with no expense to myself under warranty.

I would have no issues buying a battery warranty, and likely will when it comes time for me to pony up for extending it.

Any thoughts???

Personally I skipped the extended battery warranty. I figured it would be cheaper to replace a sheet if anything did fail, or use it as an opportunity to upgrade to the new 400 mile pack. I don't see a lot of value in the warranty since the biggest risk is degradation, which isn't covered (or even defined) by Tesla.

To close out my particular part (and original reason for posting this thread...)

Just had my Annual Service done. The tech did the Annual Service and I told them to pay special attention to the battery, etc. (I brought the car into the SC with about 50 miles left on the range in Standard Mode). Wrote about the First Annual (for me) Service on my blog. Long story short, range when I picked it up was 183 miles. That's a seven to eight mile jump from what I had improved the car to after it had been as low as 170-171 in Standard mode.

Need to check to see what they did, or whether it was charged on 110V.

Of particular note (and I'll probably cross-post this part on the thread on Roadster parts) is that I am waiting on a hose and a door sill because the Service Writer told me that Tesla is in the process of moving the warehouse that has all the Roadster parts and that is what delayed some of my parts for my service (but not others.)

• Love
Reactions: Steve in SLO
To close out my particular part (and original reason for posting this thread...)

Just had my Annual Service done. The tech did the Annual Service and I told them to pay special attention to the battery, etc. (I brought the car into the SC with about 50 miles left on the range in Standard Mode). Wrote about the First Annual (for me) Service on my blog. Long story short, range when I picked it up was 183 miles. That's a seven to eight mile jump from what I had improved the car to after it had been as low as 170-171 in Standard mode.

Need to check to see what they did, or whether it was charged on 110V.

Of particular note (and I'll probably cross-post this part on the thread on Roadster parts) is that I am waiting on a hose and a door sill because the Service Writer told me that Tesla is in the process of moving the warehouse that has all the Roadster parts and that is what delayed some of my parts for my service (but not others.)

Well, spoke too soon. So, about 8 days ago, we left on an international vacation after driving the car and leaving it unplugged for several days after the service appointment that got me to 183 miles. To ensure that I don't brick the car, I plugged it in on Storage mode.

So, I took some random STAT? commands and got the following.

On Sept. 4, the last day that the second to the last day that the car was driven, we left the car unplugged as suggested as we didn't drive it that much.

Not charging
SOC: 91%
Ideal Range: 165 mi
Est. Range: 137 mi
ODO: 11,947.7 mi
CAC: 146.62

The next day, (last day PRIOR to going on vacation) we drove for a little bit and got the following

Not charging
SOC: 63%
Ideal Range: 113 mi
Est. Range: 108 mi
ODO: 11,990.3 mi
CAC: 146.65

The day after that was the day we left for vacation, so put it in storage mode

I took a STAT? Taken at 12:08 AM before I put it in storage mode.

Not charging
SOC: 61%
Ideal Range: 109 mi
Est. Range: 104 mi

And in Storage mode (right after I plugged it in about 16 hours after the snapshot at midnight)

Taken at 4:08 pm

Storage - Charging Done
SOC: 57%
Ideal Range: 102 mi
Est. Range: 97 mi

It kept decreasing until about 24 hours ago, I took the last snapshot before I started charging remotely using OVMS CHARGESTART COMMAND

Storage - Charging Done
SOC: 34%
Ideal Range: 61 mi
Est. Range: 58 mi
CAC: 146.48

I wanted to charge the car mostly around Super Off-Peak, but since I was boarding a plane before that rate kicked in Pacific Time, I figured to lower the Amperage so that a majority of the charging occurs off-peak. So I started the charge at 12A. At 887 minutes, that's about fifteen hours, a lot longer than I wanted the car to charge...

Standard - Charging
238V/12A
Full: 887 mins
Ideal Range: 62 mi
Est. Range: 59 mi

So, I switched it to 20A, that was still too long

Standard - Charging
237V/20A
Full: 906 mins

I wanted the charging to end before the end of Super Off-Peak, so I changed it to 24A with the last command and stayed with that.

Standard - Charging
238V/24A
Full: 511 mins
SOC: 35%
Ideal Range: 63 mi
Est. Range: 60 mi

Thought the calculation for 511 minutes was probably off, I checked again

Standard - Charging
236V/24A
Full: 383 mins
SOC: 40%
Ideal Range: 73 mi
Est. Range: 69 mi

And I was right, dropped by almost 2 hours from the initial 511 minute estimate.

When I arrived at the Airport, I thought to check on the Roadster and got the following:

Standard - Charging Done
SOC: 96%
Ideal Range: 174 mi
Est. Range: 166 mi

And about 30 minutes ago

Standard - Charging Done
SOC: 95%
Ideal Range: 173 mi
Est. Range: 165 mi

Needless to say, it looks like our Ideal Range is again very different from the numbers after the Roadster bleed test, etc. So, I wonder what the heck is going on. Any ideas?

I have a .pdf copy of the CPO Warranty. It's 37,000 miles/37 months.

WARRANTY COVERAGE
This CPO Vehicle Limited Warranty includes the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty and the BatteryLimited Warranty, each as described below.
The exclusive remedy available to you under this CPO Vehicle Limited Warranty is the repair orreplacement of new or re-manufactured parts by Tesla for the covered defects. Subject to theexclusions and limitations described in this CPO Vehicle Limited Warranty, such repair or partsreplacement will be performed without cost to you by Tesla when Tesla is notified of the covereddefect within the applicable warranty period. Repairs will be performed using new orre-manufactured parts at the sole discretion of Tesla. All replaced parts or other components arethe exclusive property of Tesla unless otherwise provided under applicable law.

Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in thisCPO Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair orreplacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any partsmanufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 37 months or37,000 miles (60,000 km), whichever comes first.

Battery Limited Warranty
Subject to the exclusions and limitations described in this CPO Vehicle Limited Warranty, theBattery Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in thematerials or workmanship of the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery (“Battery”) manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 37 months or 37,000 miles (60,000 km),whichever comes first.
The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time anduse. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is NOTcovered under this CPO Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your owner documentation for importantinformation on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Battery.

1. Additional limitations and exclusions
    In addition to the above exclusions and limitations, this CPO Vehicle Limited Warranty does notcover any of the following:
    • Any corrosion or paint defects including, but not limited to, the following:
    - Corrosion from defects in non-Tesla manufactured or supplied materials or workmanshipcausing perforation (holes) in body panels or the chassis from the inside out;
    • - Surface or cosmetic corrosion causing perforation in body panels or the chassis from theoutside in, such as stone chips or scratches; and
    • - Corrosion and paint defects caused by, due to or resulting from accidents, paint matching,abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or operation of the vehicle, installation of anaccessory, exposure to chemical substances, or damages resulting from an act of God ornature, fire, or improper storage;
    • Any damage to the vehicle’s Battery, including damage directly or indirectly caused by, due toor resulting from abuse, misuse, accident, lack of or improper maintenance, including, but notlimited to, the following:
      • - Allowing the Battery to reach a zero state of charge or neglecting to follow proper chargingprocedures as specified in your owner documentation;
      • - Exposing an unplugged Tesla Roadster vehicle to ambient temperatures above 120°F (50°C)for over 24 hours or storing an unplugged Tesla Roadster vehicle in temperatures below-20°F (-29°C) for over seven days;
      • - Physically damaging the Battery or intentionally attempting, either by physical means,programming, or other methods, to extend (other than as specified in your ownerdocumentation) or reduce the life of the Battery;
      • - Exposing the Battery to direct flame;
      • - Immersing any portion of the Battery in water or fluids;
      • - Opening the Battery enclosure; and
      • - Having the Battery serviced by a person or facility not authorized or certified to do so;
    • If your vehicle is used for commercial purposes, which includes but is not limited to governmentpurposes, pick-up, and delivery service, company pool use, or for service or repair calls, routework, or hauling;
    • The cost of teardown, disassembly or assembly if coverage cannot be applied;
    • Non-genuine Tesla parts or accessories or their installation, or any damage directly or indirectlycaused by, due to or resulting from the installation or use of non-genuine Tesla parts oraccessories;
    • Certain individual items associated with the vehicle, including, but not limited to the tires,Mobile Connector, High Power Wall Connector, any future connectors, and related chargingadapters, which have separate warranties subject to their own terms and conditions;
    • Windshield or window glass that is broken, chipped, scratched, or cracked, other than as a resultof a defect in material or workmanship of a Tesla manufactured or supplied windshield orwindow glass;
    • General appearance or normal noise and vibration, including, but not limited to, brake squeal,general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration; and
    • Maintenance services, including, but not limited to, the following:
      • - Standard 12 month or 12,500 mile service and diagnostics checks;
      • - Wheel alignment or balancing;
      • - Appearance care (such as cleaning and polishing); and
      • - Expendable maintenance items (such as wiper blades/inserts, brake pads/linings, filters,etc.).
Voided warranty

You are responsible for the proper operation and regular maintenance of the vehicle and forreceiving and maintaining detailed and accurate records of your vehicle’s maintenance, includingthe 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”), servicing center name and address, mileage, dateof service or maintenance and description of service or maintenance items, which should betransferred to each subsequent purchaser. You may void this CPO Vehicle Limited Warranty if youdo not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use, operation, andmaintenance of the vehicle provided in your vehicle owner documentation, including, but notlimited to:

• Complying with any recall advisories;
  • Carrying passengers and cargo within specified load limits;
  • Observing scheduled inspections and making all services and repairs;
  • Performing all vehicle maintenance and service requirements, including those indicated by thevehicle’s systems; and
  • Charging, and caring for, the vehicle’s Battery.
    Although Tesla does not require you to perform all maintenance, service or repairs at a TeslaService Center or Tesla authorized repair facility, this CPO Vehicle Limited Warranty may be voidedor coverage may be excluded due to lack of or improper maintenance, service or repairs. TeslaService Centers and Tesla authorized repair facilities have special training, expertise, tools andsupplies with respect to your vehicle and, in certain cases, may employ the only persons or be theonly facilities authorized or certified to work on certain parts of your vehicle. Tesla stronglyrecommends that you have all maintenance, service and repairs done at a Tesla Service Center orTesla authorized repair facility in order to avoid voiding, or having coverage excluded under, thisCPO Vehicle Limited Warranty.
  • The following will also void this CPO Vehicle Limited Warranty:

• Vehicles that have had the VIN defaced or altered or the odometer or other related systemdisconnected, altered or rendered inoperative so that it is difficult to determine the VIN numberor actual mileage;
  • Vehicles that have been labeled or branded as dismantled, fire-damaged, flood-damaged, junk,rebuilt, salvage, reconstructed, irreparable or a total loss; and
  • Vehicles that have been determined to be a total loss by an insurance company.

Your CAC value is around 146.5-146.6 but your ideal miles will change depending upon how much cooling/heating your car needs. Even when you're not driving the car, the battery is still being used
to circulate coolant, power the alarm/gps/etc. So for example your last two entries show after 30 minutes, you lost 1 ideal mile because of battery drain - but the CAC remained constant (the actual battery
capacity). If your CAC value dropped then I would worry. For the 183 ideal miles, try charging at 110V, 12A -

Well, spoke too soon. So, about 8 days ago, we left on an international vacation after driving the car and leaving it unplugged for several days after the service appointment that got me to 183 miles. To ensure that I don't brick the car, I plugged it in on Storage mode.

So, I took some random STAT? commands and got the following.

On Sept. 4, the last day that the second to the last day that the car was driven, we left the car unplugged as suggested as we didn't drive it that much.

Not charging
SOC: 91%
Ideal Range: 165 mi
Est. Range: 137 mi
ODO: 11,947.7 mi
CAC: 146.62

The next day, (last day PRIOR to going on vacation) we drove for a little bit and got the following

Not charging
SOC: 63%
Ideal Range: 113 mi
Est. Range: 108 mi

The day after that was the day we left for vacation, so put it in storage mode

I took a STAT? Taken at 12:08 AM before I put it in storage mode.

Not charging
SOC: 61%
Ideal Range: 109 mi
Est. Range: 104 mi

And in Storage mode (right after I plugged it in about 16 hours after the snapshot at midnight)

Taken at 4:08 pm

Storage - Charging Done
SOC: 57%
Ideal Range: 102 mi
Est. Range: 97 mi

It kept decreasing until about 24 hours ago, I took the last snapshot before I started charging remotely using OVMS CHARGESTART COMMAND

Storage - Charging Done
Ideal Range: 61 mi
Est. Range: 58 mi

I wanted to charge the car mostly around Super Off-Peak, but since I was boarding a plane before that rate kicked in Pacific Time, I figured to lower the Amperage so that a majority of the charging occurs off-peak. So I started the charge at 12A. At 887 minutes, that's about fifteen hours, a lot longer than I wanted the car to charge...

Standard - Charging
238V/12A
Full: 887 mins

So, I switched it to 20A, that was still too long

Standard - Charging
237V/20A
Full: 906 mins

I wanted the charging to end before the end of Super Off-Peak, so I changed it to 24A with the last command and stayed with that.

Standard - Charging
238V/24A
Full: 511 mins
SOC: 35%
Ideal Range: 63 mi
Est. Range: 60 mi

Thought the calculation for 511 minutes was probably off, I checked again

Standard - Charging
236V/24A
Full: 383 mins
SOC: 40%
Ideal Range: 73 mi
Est. Range: 69 mi

And I was right, dropped by almost 2 hours from the initial 511 minute estimate.

When I arrived at the Airport, I thought to check on the Roadster and got the following:

Standard - Charging Done
SOC: 96%
Ideal Range: 174 mi
Est. Range: 166 mi

And about 30 minutes ago

Standard - Charging Done
SOC: 95%
Ideal Range: 173 mi
Est. Range: 165 mi

Needless to say, it looks like our Ideal Range is again very different from the numbers after the Roadster bleed test, etc. So, I wonder what the heck is going on. Any ideas?

So, I wonder what the heck is going on. Any ideas?
It would be interesting to know how Tesla charged your Roadster, which you can get from the log file or from OVMS (if they left it plugged in).

To get it from the log file, run VMSParser with just the log file name and it will dump out a summary of your charge and drive sessions.

Code:
VMSParser 201411161720.tar

11/11/2014 06:40:43 - 11/11/2014 06:46:44 (00:06:01) Charge 84% -> 84% 224V 20A of 70A 0.4 kWh ...                         

You might have to look at the charge records in more detail, if they changed the current limit during charging for example. Use the charge summary line to get a start and end date/time, use those to set start and end times (-s and -e) and ask for all charge-related records (-c).

Code:
VMSParser -s "11/11/2014 06:40:43" -e "11/11/2014 06:46:44" -c 201411161720.tar 

11/11/2014 06:40:43 | 1415716843 | C1MA | Coolant 17C ESS 16.50C - 17.60C charging at 122.1V 0.50A
11/11/2014 06:40:43 | 1415716843 | C30M | range soc = 84%, 70A available
11/11/2014 06:40:48 | 1415716848 | C1MA | Coolant 17C ESS 16.50C - 17.59C charging at 239.7V 0.64A

Also, the easiest way to get your CAC, average and minimum brick Ah, and lowest brink number is to ask for the daily records from the permanent section:

Code:
VMSParser -p -r DAY 201411161720.tar 

date and time         timestamp    tag    data
-------------------   ----------   ----   ----
02/19/2009 10:16:20 | 1235067380 | DAY  | odo = 24.4 range soc = 0%, brick ave 156.655Ah, brick min 156.655Ah, min Ah brick 0, CAC 156.99 Ah
02/20/2009 10:16:20 | 1235153780 | DAY  | odo = 24.6 range soc = 36%, brick ave 156.655Ah, brick min 156.655Ah, min Ah brick 0, CAC 156.99 Ah

For any of these commands, add the -t flag to get the output in a tab-delimited table for easy import into a spreadsheet or database program.

Note that the CAC value showing for the daily records requires version 1.1.3 released recently (November 19, 2014), available from VMS Log Parser for Tesla Roadster.

It would be interesting to know how Tesla charged your Roadster, which you can get from the log file or from OVMS (if they left it plugged in).

To get it from the log file, run VMSParser with just the log file name and it will dump out a summary of your charge and drive sessions.

Code:
VMSParser 201411161720.tar

11/11/2014 06:40:43 - 11/11/2014 06:46:44 (00:06:01) Charge 84% -> 84% 224V 20A of 70A 0.4 kWh ...                         

You might have to look at the charge records in more detail, if they changed the current limit during charging for example. Use the charge summary line to get a start and end date/time, use those to set start and end times (-s and -e) and ask for all charge-related records (-c).

Code:
VMSParser -s "11/11/2014 06:40:43" -e "11/11/2014 06:46:44" -c 201411161720.tar 

11/11/2014 06:40:43 | 1415716843 | C1MA | Coolant 17C ESS 16.50C - 17.60C charging at 122.1V 0.50A
11/11/2014 06:40:43 | 1415716843 | C30M | range soc = 84%, 70A available
11/11/2014 06:40:48 | 1415716848 | C1MA | Coolant 17C ESS 16.50C - 17.59C charging at 239.7V 0.64A

Also, the easiest way to get your CAC, average and minimum brick Ah, and lowest brink number is to ask for the daily records from the permanent section:

Code:
VMSParser -p -r DAY 201411161720.tar 

date and time         timestamp    tag    data
-------------------   ----------   ----   ----
02/19/2009 10:16:20 | 1235067380 | DAY  | odo = 24.4 range soc = 0%, brick ave 156.655Ah, brick min 156.655Ah, min Ah brick 0, CAC 156.99 Ah
02/20/2009 10:16:20 | 1235153780 | DAY  | odo = 24.6 range soc = 36%, brick ave 156.655Ah, brick min 156.655Ah, min Ah brick 0, CAC 156.99 Ah

For any of these commands, add the -t flag to get the output in a tab-delimited table for easy import into a spreadsheet or database program.

Note that the CAC value showing for the daily records requires version 1.1.3 released recently (November 19, 2014), available from VMS Log Parser for Tesla Roadster.

Thanks for the info Tom... I'll try that when I get the chance. Great thing about the logs, as long as Tesla doesn't flush it... It's there to pick up.

It's been a while, but the car's been behaving since we stopped plugging it in after every drive.

I got to borrow my wife's Roadster the other day and wrote a post on my blog and thought of this thread.

We've been closer to 149 CAC since then and a daily standard range charge closer to 177-179 miles when we do plug the car in and set it to charge overnight.