Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to sell with new battery and mcu2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my post refresh AP1 Red 90D with 54,000 miles, Tesla offered $34,000. AutoNation $41,000. Tesla knows my exact configuration but AutoNation did not know I have Pano roof, air suspension, and UHF sound when they quoted. They knocked off $300 because I only have one key. Didn't ask about battery or MCU.

Reactions: lifegoe5on
Honestly...I'd be stunned if your car is even worth $40K. It doesn't have FSD (and never will). Having the new battery on it may get you a couple of thousand more in a private sale, but you are competing against all the 2016/2017 AP2 cars that have FSD and those will always have more value in a resale market than your car will have. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's the nature of the market where new cars coming out with new features just drive the value down of everything built before them...

I think the new battery is probably worth less than you think it is. It's a nice talking point, and will be visible/apparent in things like observed range and degradation. That said, given it was replaced under warranty, it doesn't really change much from a long-term ownership perspective. The warranty is the same as any other 2016 car. MCU2 has a precise value of $2,000 to a prospective buyer. You may get that back, but maybe not.

You'll need to find the right buyer who will appreciate the new battery and MCU2. For every person who craves the latest technology and FSD, there is someone like me who hardly cares at all about the FSD dream.

Prices vary by region, so I can't help you there. You also didn't specify the mileage.
Nope, to get the number he wants, he needs to find a buyer he can convince that this 5 year old car is worth the same price as a brand new Tesla Model 3 or the same price as a newer used Model S or only just $30K less than a brand new Model S with much greater range, newer technology and the option to upgrade to things like FSD or EAP in the future. The problem he has is that the cars that are comparable to his car are going for less than what he thinks his car is worth. It's the same problem as selling a house where you did an upgrade you think gives it greater value (new Air Conditioner/Heater or whatever) and you are hoping to recapture the value of that investment/replacement. You will NEVER get back what you put into it and realistically will get pennies on the dollar in most cases. The same is true for his car. The average used Tesla buyer is not going to be as focused as he is on the new battery. If they are concerned about range, they will be looking at equivalent options which provide better range. If they are concerned about getting a Model S, then they will get one that is either (a) cheaper or (b) newer with perceived better features.

At the end of the day this is a five year old car. I have a 2017 ModelS with MCU2 and FSD and to be honest, if I were to sell it I would expect to get somethng in the mid-30s. Getting >$40K is a pipedream...

You'll need to find the right buyer who will appreciate the new battery and MCU2. For every person who craves the latest technology and FSD, there is someone like me who hardly cares at all about the FSD dream.

Prices vary by region, so I can't help you there. You also didn't specify the mileage.

mcu2 is 1500 msrp. i doubt it adds any value to the actual car for a buyer

Reactions: drklain
There are buyers who don’t understand or care to even use FSD (especially since it’s still vaporware). Yes, I would pay more for a car with AP2+ and EAP, but I suggest you pitch as a great EV with upgraded MCU (which does make a real difference) and full charge range of x, still under warranty. Per the comments above, the market and competitive options will determine what someone is willing to pay. I see a lot of 2017 75Ds online for around $48K, so starting at $42K may be reasonable. It’s a good time to sell a used car, and there is a window of time before our current interiors will look very outdated.