Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to understand current pricing on old MCU updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm not a frequent poster and don't follow the news very closely.

I have a P85+. My screens have both bubbled and melted with leaking glue. My Nav no longer works. And the system is generally slow. So, I think I probably need the full upgrade schebang and both screens replaced.

I understand the prices for this service have changed drastically over the last few years. I'm trying to get a simple summary in my head of what all will be replaced, how much it will cost, and how likely it is that it will fix all my issues.

It's a very long drive and huge commitment for me to visit a service center so it's something I have to plan for long in advance and price is a big issue for me.

My concern is that I'll get the service done now and in 6 months it'll be a free retrofit or something I really become disappointed by.

Curious if anyone has any advice or experience with doing this large retrofit project and replacing both screens and LTE and everything on an old 2013 Model S. What was the final tally like including tax and labor and everything?

Thank you,

1500 + tax.. includes both screens, a new mcu (don't have to worry about the EMMC), and LTE. (bc you don't have autopilot2)
considering your screens are warped, it's a no brainer. if they were fine, you could consider EMMC update under warranty and LTE update.. MCU2 will be great for you.
remember that you'll lose AM/FM/XM. For $500, you can add FM/XM

$1500 plus tax would be pretty reasonable for me.

I wonder if they could do it in a few hours so I don't have to spend a night at service center city. It's been insanely hard to even contact customer service these days. They won't call me and rarely reply to service requests in the app. Something is fishy like they're extremely overloaded and understaffed or something. With a company as rich as Tesla you'd think they'd happily be expanding service centers and hiring staff but I guess service=revenue loss or something? I dunno. It's been weird.

5 years ago service was like white glove treatment. Super friendly and helpful staff and immediate full service with complimentary repairs for obvious defects like melting screens. Now it's terrible and the main reason I'd consider buying another brand. I'm too old for repairing cars as a hobby and just want things to get done.

I use the base assumption of anything requiring in-service-center work will be multi-day and will mean using Uber credits to get to and from.

Anecdotally the last time I successfully had something done same-day at the service center was 2018 (unless you count a 7:45 am drop off for an 8 am appt and getting notified at 4:55 pm that the car was ready for pickup when the SC closes at 5:00 pm).

With your notes about a long distance drive, MAYBE you can confirm a loaner and/or same-day turnaround in the app communications prior to arrival...but I'd still have a backup plan in place.

$1500 plus tax would be pretty reasonable for me.

I wonder if they could do it in a few hours so I don't have to spend a night at service center city. It's been insanely hard to even contact customer service these days. They won't call me and rarely reply to service requests in the app. Something is fishy like they're extremely overloaded and understaffed or something. With a company as rich as Tesla you'd think they'd happily be expanding service centers and hiring staff but I guess service=revenue loss or something? I dunno. It's been weird.

5 years ago service was like white glove treatment. Super friendly and helpful staff and immediate full service with complimentary repairs for obvious defects like melting screens. Now it's terrible and the main reason I'd consider buying another brand. I'm too old for repairing cars as a hobby and just want things to get done.
Your experience is not at all unique. In fact, it's pretty common. Some centers are better than others, and experinces will vary. It's just the way it is now.

They can get it done same day. Usually.
“Usually” is the key word here, IMO

With your notes about a long distance drive, MAYBE you can confirm a loaner and/or same-day turnaround in the app communications prior to arrival...but I'd still have a backup plan in place.
agreed, have a backup plan in case >1day

For reference I got the MCU2 upgrade a few weeks ago. when I booked the appointment via the app, I requested a loaner vehicle and was told I could have one depending on availability at the time, otherwise they'd give me Uber credits.

Dropped car off 1st thing in the am on appointment day and luckily a MS 75D loaner was available. Estimated time for completing the upgrade was by end of the same day, though they warned me at drop off time that they'd had some trouble with previous MCU upgrades getting the firmware updates to "stick", ie the firmware load would take a couple hours then crap out and they'd have to start over again.

That's apparently what happened with my car, even though the hardware installation itself went smoothly. They ended up keeping my car overnight twice, and I finally got it back at the very end of the 3rd full day. Luckily I had the loaner. YMMV

on a positive note, I'm very happy with the upgrade, and regret I didn't just get it sooner. With MCU1 my car was getting to be a pain every single drive; very long time to wake up/start every time, flaky streaming audio, reboots, sluggish UI etc. Now it feels like a new car again, and I don't even really care about the games, netflix, youtube etc. To the OP, especially considering your old screens need replacement, I think it's a no-brainer to do the upgrade.

How much are screen replacements? I’m really dreading the whole thing. I feel like I’m going to drive for hours just to have to rent a car and drive back home. Then pay thousands of dollars and drive back and forth again taking multiple days off work just to get an expensive car repair. And the end result will be a 75% chance everything actually works correctly knowing teslas build quality and reliability issues I’ve had. It’s just a frustrating situation and a ton of time and hassle and money I’m discouraged about.

They “should” come get my car, fix it, bring it back, and only charge me a small fee for labor or something since computers shouldn’t die and screens shouldn’t melt in a new car. But that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: rickyjb
So, you do the EMMC recall fix and Tesla pays for the labor, pays for the parts and you pay nothing. You do the Infotainment Upgrade and most of the same labor applies but you pay for all the labor and all of the parts. Who thinks that the small discount and the "voluntary" recall timing is suspect?? Fully agree that service and standards are on a constant downward slide.

Update. I brought the car to the service center today.

I was surprised how badly my range had degraded. I don't drive long distances so I don't really notice it.

It was estimated around 220 miles and I only got about 150. They gave me a 75D loaner. The loaner had estimated 225 miles of range of charge, it only got me about half of that. Kinda shocked how much Teslas overestimate their range. I had heard this was the case but never noticed it myself until now.

I gotta say, I don't have a lot of confidence that everything will be fixed correctly. I don't think much love and attention to detail will go towards my vehicle. I think they will just slap some parts on it and give it back to me and hope for the best.

Maybe I'm just being cynical. Nothing about this experience has given me confidence though to this point.

Ideally they let me know that everything is fixed, they were able to quickly resolve some issues without expensive repairs, and that they are replacing my battery because of significant degradation. Trying to be optimistic. I'll report back what the result is. Kinda dreaming of Porsche service, reliability, and how they greatly underrate their performance and range. Can't afford one, of course. But I just prefer that policy and mentality towards their products and service.

Anyways.. on with the show!

So when I dropped off the car they disabled access to my car via the app. This also disabled any communication methods I have with them. I'm assuming they will contact me when they have an update somehow. But it's all very bizarre. It reminds me of the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld.

So when I dropped off the car they disabled access to my car via the app. This also disabled any communication methods I have with them. I'm assuming they will contact me when they have an update somehow. But it's all very bizarre. It reminds me of the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld.
You should be able to go to the service section in your app. Click on your current appointment, and then at the bottom right side, should be a message icon. You can communicate through that. I just had my MCU upgrade done and that's how I was able to talk to them.