Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to Understand Summon + Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Just got a S75D and trying to figure out the subtleties of summon + homelink. The question I have is about what determines whether or not the car tries to close the garage door after pulling in and parking. Like many folks, I have a relatively tight fit in the garage, and sometimes the car stops on the summon in before getting all the way in--when this happens, it *usually* doesn't try to close the garage door (it tried once and I had to stop the door). However, even when it makes it all the way in, it sometimes activates homelink to close the door, but sometimes doesn't. So my question is:

-- What inputs are required for the car to attempt a homelink garage door close after parking? --

-- Does it have to have opened the door with homelink (and perhaps close enough to sense the position of the door?) on the way in?

-- Any clue how it determines if there is enough space behind the car to close the garage door?

I'll keep trial and error and try to sort this out, but if anyone has insight into the ins & outs of summon's logic that would be very helpful.
Thanks everyone! And excited to be a new part of this world...too much fun,
Cheers,
Mike

From my personal experience (trial and error too) it activates the Homelink to close the door only if it completes the summon all the way in - for example, I have mine set to stop 28" from the back wall of the garage - as long as it doesn't stop prematurely and makes it all the way to 28" from the wall then it activates Homelink and closes the garage door.

It does not have to open the door. As a matter of fact I mostly use summon to pull the car in and out of the garage to wash it and therefore have always opened the door manually.

Mike

Last edited:
From my personal experience (trial and error too) it activates the Homelink to close the door only if it completes the summon all the way in - for example, I have mine set to stop 28" from the back wall of the garage - as long as it doesn't stop prematurely and makes it all the way to 28" from the wall then it activates Homelink and closes the garage door.

It does not have to open the door. As a matter of fact I mostly use summon to pull the car in and out of the garage to wash it and therefore have always opened the door manually.

Mike

Thanks Mike! That's great to know--I'll go back to auto-open when approaching the garage! Cheers,
Mike

Another data point: on firmware 28.1, I used Summon on my Model 3 with HomeLink active to open/close the garage door. HomeLink commands are toggles, i.e., one press for open, next press closes, next press opens, and so on. The problem for me was if I had the garage door open and tried to use Summon to back the car out, it would first initiate HomeLink thereby closing the door. Definitely unwanted behavior.

After 32.2 upgrade, Summon now appears to sense if the door is open or closed and reacts appropriately, sending a HomeLink command if needed, NOT sending one if not needed. Huge improvement in my mind.

Lastly, my experience mirrors NOLA_Mike in that the Summon process has to successfully complete before final HomeLink command is initiated. Presumably this is a safety feature should the Summon process fail and leave the car in the path of the garage door.

Reactions: MikeyS
Thanks Sam! I'm still not getting a close command on some complete entries... But maybe the car is seeing an obstacle (the water softener is against the back wall) and assessing that it didn't get "all the way" to the 8 inches from the wall...I'll keep trying!

My garage has a "lip" where the driveway meets the garage. Its maybe an inch tall. The car gets stuck on that lip every single time I try to summon in. Its as if the car rolls into the lip, then needs a little juice to get momentum going to move over the lip, but the energy needed is above the threshold summon allows. Its hilarious to me that a car with SO much power gets stuck on an inch lip.

I'm also deathly afraid the car is going to hit the wall going through the opening.