Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to use CHILL mode but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me personally, I only use Chill Mode when I’m trying to conserve energy. I can also see it useful for navigating through a busy shopping center or parking lot. All other times, I keep Chill Mode off and just work on better manipulating the accelerator pedal.

can't.

I want to use it because it makes the ride smoother and gives better range to the model 3.

But I almost immediately turn it off because I miss the acceleration and power more than I dislike the jerkiness of standard.

So, what do I do to fall in love with chill mode?
I agree with your observations. I feel the auto pilot smoother in Chill mode, but starting acceleration is dropped by too much. More than acceleration, latency is unacceptable when starting from stop. This felt esp risky when I am trying to turn left on the road in between traffic gaps(feels like prius)..

Isn’t chill mode basically for people that like US cars built in the 1970s? When the whole fantasy was about “drives like a boat”?

Ask yourself if the added range is worth that boat feeling and not wanting to get in your car... then switch to a mode where you can still feel like you like driving your car...

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Isn’t chill mode basically for people that like US cars built in the 1970s? When the whole fantasy was about “drives like a boat”?

Ask yourself if the added range is worth that boat feeling and not wanting to get in your car... then switch to a mode where you can still feel like you like driving your car...

Some people don't like their head being snapped back, or are concerned about making a mistake and slamming into a wall.

Reactions: mswlogo
I wasn’t trying to slam chill mode with the boat reference. That was popular in it’s day for a reason.

That kind if mode is still popular in some car lines.

If my wife drives my M3 I suspect she’d use it.

What I wanted to emphasize was that if you don’t like a mode don’t force yourself to use it. You don’t want to find yourself not enjoying your ride. I remember our old camry used to drive me nuts because it was too smooth and I liked hugging the road but my wife loved it. So she got the camry and I kept the older Dodge Neon with all it’s peeled off paint.

By contrast we both like our BMW X-3 because it has 3 modes... one of them is her boat ride and one of them is... still too smooth for me but I am used to it as it is closer to the dodge than the camry.

Unless you’re doubling your range in chill, use the mode that fits your comfort.

I've used the chill mode with passengers. It smoothes out the instant response from the accelerator pedal so you don't need to pay as much attention to your right foot, and it is plenty quick. IIRC someone measured 0-60 in ~7.6 seconds in the P3D in chill mode which is just fine for cruising around town. I also couldn't tell a difference on autopilot, but I need to do more testing. No reason to use it otherwise if you're driving by yourself :cool:

it seems that the justification for it is not wanting to over accelerate. I have to ask, why not just press the pedal softer? Do some people have issues gauging how hard they press the pedal? I find it fairly easy to accelerate at any pace I would like in standard mode.

For me I feel that I can drive like it is in chill mode when I want to in standard mode but I can’t drive like it is in standard in chill. So standard just makes sense.

The time or two I tried chill I did not like the delayed response off the line. It feels like an ICE car feeding fuel to the engine before I started moving.

You get used to what ever you drive, period.

I was driving my 2017 Jeep Summit daily and it was fine. Still have it. After 10 days I drove it the other day. OMG, it’s a death trap. I need to dump it. Kidding. But the thought crossed my mind. After an hour I was fine.

It’s called muscle memory.

Been driving my performance in chill mode 99.9% of the time. I can drive it perfectly fine and smooth in sport mode. No jerking heads.

My Lifetime is 220 wh/mi at 600 miles. And it keeps going down.

In chill mode it’s the fastest thing I’ve ever owned. People that say it’s not safe in chill mode don’t know how to drive. Or just refuse to let there brain recondition themselves to chill behavior.

Just leave it in chill mode for a week and stop whining. I have a few friends that recently got model 3’s. And they leave it in sport/standard. They drive so much worse than they used to. I hate driving with them. And they complain about the range they are getting too.

If you had ludicrous mode, you’d be complaining sport mode is a dog.

It’s no different than eating, drinking, sex, watching TV. Do it in moderation. You’ll enjoy it more in the long run.

it seems that the justification for it is not wanting to over accelerate. I have to ask, why not just press the pedal softer? Do some people have issues gauging how hard they press the pedal? I find it fairly easy to accelerate at any pace I would like in standard mode.

This ^

I've never used chill mode, you just need a lighter foot. The auto pilot comment is interesting though, I do think the auto pilot is far too jerky, breaking hard and accelerating hard like a taxi driver.

I've used chill mode during the winter, to help combat slick roads.

Other than that, I don't use it.

• Informative
Reactions: Sg911 and DR61
I never use it. Once you get used to your car having a certain amount of acceleration, it can be dangerous to try to call up that power and it not be there.

Same logic applies in reverse so should I never take it out of chill?

I might suddenly have more power than expected and that would be dangerous.

So I guess your argument is, don’t change it.

I wonder how many S/X drivers leave their car in ludicrous mode?

By the way, my car is a P3D-. If I had a RWD I would probably not keep it chill mode. Sport mode on a P is insanely powerful. It would be nice to have a few levels.

2 Levels on RWD
3 Levels on AWD
4 Levels on Performance (+/-)

The difference in chill and sport on a P is pretty extreme.

• Informative
Reactions: Sg911