Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSC told me "No more loaner Model S cars for Roadster owners"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the TSC on Tyco Rd (Tyson's Corner, VA) to schedule my annual service.

When setting up the appointment, I was informed by Carlos that "We no longer provide Model S loaners to Roadster owners".

That sucks.

They offered me an Enterprise rental but, that's just a pain in the butt to deal with (turns a 10 minute drop-off into a 1-hour+ adventure).

I hear all the stories on here on how Roadster owners have been treated in the past but, it seems like the moment I bought mine, Tesla decided that Roadster owners were not "real Tesla owners" and shouldn't be treated the same as the upper-class Model S owners.

I called the TSC on Tyco Rd (Tyson's Corner, VA) to schedule my annual service.

When setting up the appointment, I was informed by Carlos that "We no longer provide Model S loaners to Roadster owners".

That sucks.

They offered me an Enterprise rental but, that's just a pain in the butt to deal with (turns a 10 minute drop-off into a 1-hour+ adventure).

I hear all the stories on here on how Roadster owners have been treated in the past but, it seems like the moment I bought mine, Tesla decided that Roadster owners were not "real Tesla owners" and shouldn't be treated the same as the upper-class Model S owners.
What bs. They offered a loaner (rented by them, free to you) while servicing your car. I have roadster and model s. Model s loaner not always available to me when servicing model s. At end of qtr when they sold off what they could, I am not surprised that they ran short of loaners. Do you really believe they would rent a loaner for you rather than loan you a model s. Figure it out, they are paying more for the rental than loaning a model s to you. Why do you feel so entitled that everything should stop when you arrive with your car and you should get the loaner rather than a rental (again at their cost). I guess service in past has spoiled you. I guess you are solely responsible for the success of tesla, not the employees, engineers, management nor investors. Grow up the world does not evolve around you. Since I have an extra car, I turn down a loaner frequently. I would encourage others to try this too.

I agree it seems like short sighted thinking. The real issue may be the lack of loaner cars; the blowout at the end of 2015 has left most the of service centers with very few cars. Denying loaners to roadster owners hardly moves the needle from a "demand" perspective.

If Tesla wants to go this route, they should at least say "We don't provide model S loaners to cars outside of warranty." That way it's fair across all models and owners, and it's an incentive to buy an extended warranty.

What bs. They offered a loaner (rented by them, free to you) while servicing your car. I have roadster and model s. Model s loaner not always available to me when servicing model s. At end of qtr when they sold off what they could, I am not surprised that they ran short of loaners. Do you really believe they would rent a loaner for you rather than loan you a model s. Figure it out, they are paying more for the rental than loaning a model s to you. Why do you feel so entitled that everything should stop when you arrive with your car and you should get the loaner rather than a rental (again at their cost). I guess service in past has spoiled you. I guess you are solely responsible for the success of tesla, not the employees, engineers, management nor investors. Grow up the world does not evolve around you. Since I have an extra car, I turn down a loaner frequently. I would encourage others to try this too.

Geez, forget your coffee this morning?

He's not saying they ran out of loaners, which would be perfectly reasonable, he said they no longer provide them to roadster owners. Not today, not tomorrow, not if they have 30 loaners sitting on the lot. Thats messed up that they are treating their early customers poorly, I hope they reverse the decision.

Reactions: Jurnimon
Geez, forget your coffee this morning?

He's not saying they ran out of loaners, which would be perfectly reasonable, he said they no longer provide them to roadster owners. Not today, not tomorrow, not if they have 30 loaners sitting on the lot. Thats messed up that they are treating their early customers poorly, I hope they reverse the decision.
He is wrong. Why would company pay for a rental car for him and leave the loaner model s idle.

I think this is fine - many SC are offering the Enterprise option to Model S owners too because they don't have enough loaners. It will take a few extra minutes, but it's still a free loaner so I won't complain if that's my option when I bring my Roadster in for it's service this year.

Reactions: newtman
I guess it varies with location and circumstances.

I've got a MS loaner at the moment :smile: .... while they fix the roadsters heater (its my only, and everyday car and its getting cold(ish) in UK atm.
I REALLY appreciate the UK Tesla service guys, as well as happy to pay for their work - and the roadster does have an exceedingly expensive extended warranty.

Having built an electric car .. and failed to keep it running reliably beyond 4 years, I have HUGE respect for how Tesla are keeping their early cars going.
Prototyping and product development is not for the faint hearted armchair amateur :wink: .. which reminds me of a demanding ex-TMC and ex-Speak EV roadster owner (!) with huge expectations who constantly tweets anything/everything negative about Tesla - his Roadster is still not running - go figure !!

This must be variable. I am a Roadster owner since 2011. I have been given a loaner (of any type) only two of the times that my Roadster needed warranty repairs or annual service. We have always been given a loaner for our Model S (since 2012). Fortunately, I used to have a couple old ICE cars around I could use when my Roadster was away, but I don't have that luxury any more.

What bs. Do you really believe they would rent a loaner for you rather than loan you a model s. Figure it out, they are paying more for the rental than loaning a model s to you. I guess service in past has spoiled you.

It was made clear to me that this wasn't because they were short on Model S's, or that this new policy applied to everyone. It was explained to me that "We are no longer giving Roadster owners Model S loaners."

I'm not asking to be treated differently than other customers; I'm asking to be treated the same.

Getting a Model S loaner takes 5 minutes. "Here's my keys, here's your keys, sign here, have a nice day. We'll call you when your car is done."

The Enterprise desk is not on-site. You have to wait around for them to call Enterprise, for Enterprise to get around to driving down there, driving you back to the Enterprise office, waiting in line, giving them all of your personal information (that Tesla already has), giving your credit card information to them (because you can't be trusted), and having to turn down the sales pitch for the "upgraded insurance coverage". If everything falls into place, this takes 45 minutes.

If you think those two things are the same...well, I'm really not sure what else to say.

Since I have an extra car, I turn down a loaner frequently.

I, too, have an extra car. However, what I don't have is someone to meet me at the service center. I've made arrangements for them to pick up the car at my home but, it's being done on THEIR schedule, not mine. I have to take time off of work to do this.

Grow up the world does not evolve around you.

I have grown up. You should, too.

Roadster owners ESPECIALLY original owners should have a MS hands down. I heard of other Service Centers trying to pull that BS too. It seems to be an east coast thing though. Perhaps send an email to the Regional Service Manager?

Since that's not true at my local service center, I can only assume that 'no Model S loaners for Roadster owners' is either a local policy for one SC or was a misunderstanding by either the OP or the person relaying the message.

Bonnie, not sure about local thing, as I think we have the same SC! On the various occasions the car was being serviced, I was told that I wouldn't be getting a loaner since my car is out of warranty (implying that if it was, I'd have gotten one). They have Wi-Fi at the SC, so I just park myself in one of their conference rooms and connect into work with my laptop. On the one occasion the car was there for more than a day, they drove me home and picked me up when it was done. Used my ICE in between.

Given the relative sizes of the MS and my garage, this was just fine by me.

I think Tesla should treat all Owners the same and provide a CPO loaner of whatever flavor they have on the lot. My experience has been I have to schedule maintenance out a month or two in advance to get a Tesla loaner, but even then I have shown up and no loaner was available because another Owner's car took longer to repair (and they have a Tesla loaner). So I take the Enterprise car grateful but not as happy as if I had a Tesla loaner. The problem I foresee is when the Model 3 Owners hit the service center - I do not see how it is sustainable to have Tesla loaners to meet the needs of the Roadster, ModelS, and Model X owners (who paid for more for their cars than Model 3 owners iwll - correct?) and Model 3 owners.

he problem I foresee is when the Model 3 Owners hit the service center - I do not see how it is sustainable to have Tesla loaners to meet the needs of the Roadster, ModelS, and Model X owners (who paid for more for their cars than Model 3 owners iwll - correct?) and Model 3 owners.

Lots of other manufactures deal just fine with this. BMW dealers have a fleet of loaners and try to give you something similar to what you have, and if they are out you get enterprise. Always works just fine.

Bonnie, not sure about local thing, as I think we have the same SC! On the various occasions the car was being serviced, I was told that I wouldn't be getting a loaner since my car is out of warranty (implying that if it was, I'd have gotten one). They have Wi-Fi at the SC, so I just park myself in one of their conference rooms and connect into work with my laptop. On the one occasion the car was there for more than a day, they drove me home and picked me up when it was done. Used my ICE in between.

Given the relative sizes of the MS and my garage, this was just fine by me.

Hmmm. To be fair, I've rarely asked for a loaner. But the few times I have, they've usually found one for me. One time they didn't have one & I said 'never mind'.