Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSC told me "No more loaner Model S cars for Roadster owners"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is no way to treat early adopters and among your most loyal supporters. I'd escalate if management doesn't change their tune.

Personally, and this is just me, I don't find this upsetting. They're offering a loaner. It's Enterprise, yes. But they're offering a loaner. Most service centers don't give loaners to cars out of warranty at all. I'm not gonna make a big deal out of something like this, ever.

Like I said, this is MY reaction. Not telling anyone else how they should feel. But since we're sharing feelings and all... :)

{{{group hug}}}}

High end auto dealers give loaners for anything major (all day). Oil change or tire stuff? No, you can wait. But something $400 or more? They'd provide a loaner. Annual service on a Roadster is a full day job and lots of money. I think a loaner is expected. That said, I think Enterprise is reasonable if not preferred. Maybe you can call back and ask to reschedule when they have a loaner available for you, and say that it's very important to you, and if it means delaying service on your Roadster by a week or whatever, you'll wait. My experience has been that the service people are ... human. (shocking). That means both sides of the coin - they are empathetic and want to help you, but also, they're not miracle workers or gods. They can't do impossible things like provide a loaner for every vehicle in the shop if they don't have enough loaners available. I rescheduled a Model S service visit because I didn't want to deal with Enterprise, and they found me a date with ah guaranteed loaner and made it work. Of course, every service center, and every employee, is going to be a slightly different experience. But if you're unhappy, tell them, and see what compromises or solutions they are able to provide.

It was made clear to me that this wasn't because they were short on Model S's, or that this new policy applied to everyone. It was explained to me that "We are no longer giving Roadster owners Model S loaners."

I'm not asking to be treated differently than other customers; I'm asking to be treated the same.

Getting a Model S loaner takes 5 minutes. "Here's my keys, here's your keys, sign here, have a nice day. We'll call you when your car is done."

The Enterprise desk is not on-site. You have to wait around for them to call Enterprise, for Enterprise to get around to driving down there, driving you back to the Enterprise office, waiting in line, giving them all of your personal information (that Tesla already has), giving your credit card information to them (because you can't be trusted), and having to turn down the sales pitch for the "upgraded insurance coverage". If everything falls into place, this takes 45 minutes.

If you think those two things are the same...well, I'm really not sure what else to say.

I, too, have an extra car. However, what I don't have is someone to meet me at the service center. I've made arrangements for them to pick up the car at my home but, it's being done on THEIR schedule, not mine. I have to take time off of work to do this.

I have grown up. You should, too.
My god. How did you manage to survive all that? I certainly now understand all you went through.

Being given a loaner of the same brand is common for those who own high end cars.

I can understand them saying that if you want a Model S loaner you need to schedule your service visit in advance, or that they are short on loaners for now and expect the situation to be better later, but it seems bizarre to adopt a policy of refusing to give Model S loaners to Roadster customers essentially relegating them to some second tier status... I think to some extent they need to at least try and treat all Tesla customers equally. That's after all what car dealers do with their loaner policies.

So, good news on this...Tesla (same guy I spoke with about the "no loaners for Roadster owners") called me tonight.

He informed me that HE was mistaken about the policy; they are still giving Roadster owners Model S loaners, and he'd be happy to change my appointment details to reflect this.

Seems odd that he told me one thing, I complained on a public forum, and then (without me calling them), they call me and "made it right".

Anyway, no harm, no foul. I'm happy again.

Hmm...maybe the world DOES "evolve" around me. Does this mean I no longer have to grow up now?

So, good news on this...Tesla (same guy I spoke with about the "no loaners for Roadster owners") called me tonight.

He informed me that HE was mistaken about the policy; they are still giving Roadster owners Model S loaners, and he'd be happy to change my appointment details to reflect this.

Seems odd that he told me one thing, I complained on a public forum, and then (without me calling them), they call me and "made it right".

Hmm...maybe the world DOES "evolve" around me. Does this mean I no longer have to grow up now?

Don't grow up, it's a trap!

I had service done there this week and I was overjoyed with the Uber ride back to the office - thank you guys!

I have been very happy with the team there - give the guys a break, they are working logistics in the background as quickly as they can and are probably getting ready for the Model X wave that is coming!

Just for the record we Model S guys hold the Tesla Roadsters early adopters in the highest of regard, because without you guys taking a chance with Tesla the Model S would have never been developed! Thank you!

Also, I have always found Carlos and Michael and Kelly and the rest of the team at Tysons to be very accommodating and always working creative solutions to take care of the customer. Carlos was probably running hard today and didn't understand that you Roadster guys and gals are the Oracles of the Tesla brand! He's a very sharp guy and I am sure next time he will recognize the Oracles!

I agree never grow up, but to be a Tesla Oracle it might require some Solomon like compromises in order to enjoy our awesome cars! Right? :cool:

Last edited:

This is great to hear! Like I said it seems that some of the east coast SC Managers are not always up to date on the policies at hand. Glad to see everything was resolved.

Wow so much tension over here :)
I would be happy to get the same service outside the US as in the US. We have a lack of service centers, that's worse than a loaner that is not a Tesla.
The biggest mistake made by almost all American companies, they focus too much on their own 51 states and forget about the 200 other countries.
I work for an American company and have to deal with this "limitation of their thinking world" on a daily basis.

Re-Sult !! Oh and dont grow up .... check out imagination/innovation graph vs experience :) (hint: it crosses around 25 yrs old :) )

For whatever it's worth. . .

Today I got my Roadster back after some annual service, plus some repairs which took longer than expected. I had a red P85 loaner from Austin for a week and a half. They told me they were running short on loaners because they'd sold a bunch of them, but they came up with one for me anyhow.

During this time service from Tesla repeatedly exceeded my expectations. They met me halfway to swap cars, saving me from the drive into Austin traffic. They kept me posted on the progress with my car. I got to play around with the P85 for a week and show it off. The Roadster is shined up nicely now. I expected this to be a big hassle, and instead it was fun.

Reactions: newtman
Make sure you get all the details, people's names, write certified to Elon and HQ, not failing to mention the
blogging xxxxstorm you are about to unleash if no action is taken.

I bet you will be getting a call from Tesla in 1-2 weeks offering to pick up and drop your car to service.