Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA and EVgo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has an AMAZING charging network that is growing. This post is to discuss EVgo charging stations that are going to be growing much faster in the near future. GM paired with EVgo and will help them expand its EV charging network around the country.

If you did not know, EVgo recently went public with its IPO. Believe it is still considered a "penny stock" and might be a great one to look into. TSLA is amazing and love its "possible" future growth. EVgo is another EV infrastructure stock that might have a large growth in the future due to its current tiny price. Do not sleep on the future of TSLA but this helps "diversify" the EV stocks.

Go TSLA!!
Go EVGO!!
Go Electric America!!

This post is to discuss EVgo charging stations that are going to be growing much faster in the near future. GM paired with EVgo and will help them expand its EV charging network around the country.
Isn't that partnership from more than a year ago? Where is all of this "much faster" growth?

An earlier this year it was reported that they were behind, and that it was grounds for GM to terminate the partnership if they wanted to. EVgo is behind on charger installations for GM, grounds for agreement termination [Update]

I've had an EVGo card for 2 years and I'd love to report on how their chargers work but I cannot because every time that I have ever visited one it's either been broken or ICEd. But mostly broken. Frankly, I think CHPT is a better investment at this point but I do hope they get their act together and develop more reliable charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Genie
You can go to PlugShare and set the filters to show only EVgo stations with Tesla (not Supercharger, just regular Tesla) plugs to see where EVgo has installed the adapters. Most are in California, around San Francisco and Los Angeles; but there are a few at some urban centers elsewhere, especially along the Washington D.C. to New York corridor (and some a bit north of that; I'm guessing they're pushing toward Boston in that region).
evgo-tesla.png

EVGo chargers have started to show up on my M3 onboard navigation - some but not all. I successfully charged at one this week with my recently received CCS adapter. Total cost was about half of the nearest supercharger during the middle of the day (I set up a free account on their app) - even though they charge my the minute. I am waiting to see if pre-conditioning works with one if navigation is set to travel to one.

EVGo chargers have started to show up on my M3 onboard navigation - some but not all. I successfully charged at one this week with my recently received CCS adapter. Total cost was about half of the nearest supercharger during the middle of the day (I set up a free account on their app) - even though they charge my the minute. I am waiting to see if pre-conditioning works with one if navigation is set to travel to one.

Typically the EVgo sites that show up are the ones with the built-in Tesla CHAdeMO setup.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Was able to use my app to add my Tesla by scanning VIN thru the windshield. Went to a nearby 350 W charger and autocharge was a no-go. Called EVGO support and they said Tesla autocharge for CCS-1 adapter is "coming soon". Added 5 kWh in 2 minutes expecting about a $3.50 charge. But so far not seeing it.

Interestingly while the app says Tesla is my vehicle the website still thinks I have my BMW i3. The website shows the charge session but indicates 3rd billing party. Not sure who that would be.

Was able to use my app to add my Tesla by scanning VIN thru the windshield. Went to a nearby 350 W charger and autocharge was a no-go. Called EVGO support and they said Tesla autocharge for CCS-1 adapter is "coming soon". Added 5 kWh in 2 minutes expecting about a $3.50 charge. But so far not seeing it.

I added my Tesla VIN to the EVgo phone app's Vehicles section for Autocharge+. Tried a local EVgo and it didn't work - though my EVgo rfid card worked fine. I just brought up the EVgo app again, and the Vehicles tab for the car had a button to actually request the feature. It then asked you if you have the CCS adapter or not before accepting the request. Now it says I need to go back to the station and try again in order to complete the request. Maybe tomorrow.

The EVgo web site doesn't seem to know much about Autocharge+. For one thing, the Vehicles section doesn't have a way to add the VIN. (I already had the Tesla and the Volt recorded in it.) The phone app is where the request needs to be made. FWIW, I also added our Volt to the phone app Vehicles section. It knew the Volt was Level 2 only, so didn't ask for the VIN.

I added my Tesla VIN to the EVgo phone app's Vehicles section for Autocharge+. Tried a local EVgo and it didn't work - though my EVgo rfid card worked fine. I just brought up the EVgo app again, and the Vehicles tab for the car had a button to actually request the feature. It then asked you if you have the CCS adapter or not before accepting the request. Now it says I need to go back to the station and try again in order to complete the request. Maybe tomorrow.

The EVgo web site doesn't seem to know much about Autocharge+. For one thing, the Vehicles section doesn't have a way to add the VIN. (I already had the Tesla and the Volt recorded in it.) The phone app is where the request needs to be made. FWIW, I also added our Volt to the phone app Vehicles section. It knew the Volt was Level 2 only, so didn't ask for the VIN.

Got it work - I think. Basically the steps are:

1.) Bring up the EVgo phone app on your phone. Do NOT try to use the web site via a web browser. Their web site does not (yet?) have the ability to enter your cars VIN.

2.) Touch the menu (triple equals) button on the upper left. Scroll down and touch 'Vehicles Autocharge+'. Add your cars VIN. Touch the button to request Autocharge+ enrollment. It should indicate your request is pending.

3.) Drive to a close by EVgo station that has CCS chargers. Do not connect the cable to your car yet.

4.) Bring up the EVgo app again. Press the arrow to move the map to your location.

5.) On the phone app, touch the button for the appropriate charger and touch the button to pair the car with Autocharge+. It should then tell you to plug into the car.

6.) Snap the CCS plug into your CCS adapter, then plug them both into the car.

7.) App will ask if this is the car you want to pair up. Confirm.

8.) Charging begins.

The above steps are from memory. Hopefully I've got them all right.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

I didn't think that AutoCharge used the VIN as it isn't transmitted as part of CCS. I thought it used the MAC address of the CCS ethernet device on the charge port ECU. Which can probably only be gotten when hooked to a charger.

I didn't think that AutoCharge used the VIN as it isn't transmitted as part of CCS. I thought it used the MAC address of the CCS ethernet device on the charge port ECU. Which can probably only be gotten when hooked to a charger.

The app asks for either year/make/model or VIN. So perhaps the VIN is just used to see if it is a supported vehicle? That would explain the extra required pairing step.

I also added our Volt as a second vehicle, and it knew that Volts don't support DCFC.

1.) Bring up the EVgo phone app on your phone. Do NOT try to use the web site via a web browser. Their web site does not (yet?) have the ability to enter your cars VIN.

2.) Touch the menu (triple equals) button on the upper left. Scroll down and touch 'Vehicles Autocharge+'. Add your cars VIN. Touch the button to request Autocharge+ enrollment. It should indicate your request is pending.

3.) Drive to a close by EVgo station that has CCS chargers. Do not connect the cable to your car yet.

4.) Bring up the EVgo app again. Press the arrow to move the map to your location.

5.) On the phone app, touch the button for the appropriate charger and touch the button to pair the car with Autocharge+. It should then tell you to plug into the car.

8.) Charging begins.

Thanks, I'll try it out when I have a chance. But it doesn't appear to be very autocharge-y if you have to do this everytime. Right now, I've done 1-4, then skip 5 and 6 but use the app to pick the charger and swipe to charge. Same as ever having to use the phone to get the charge going. OTOH if it only needs to be setup once then subsequent charges are just plug and charge (like Tesla but slower to start the charge), that would be great.

Thanks, I'll try it out when I have a chance. But it doesn't appear to be very autocharge-y if you have to do this everytime. Right now, I've done 1-4, then skip 5 and 6 but use the app to pick the charger and swipe to charge. Same as ever having to use the phone to get the charge going. OTOH if it only needs to be setup once then subsequent charges are just plug and charge (like Tesla but slower to start the charge), that would be great.

It is a one-time setup. Once done, from then on you can just plug and charge like a Supercharger. No need to touch or swipe anything on the charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I setup autocharge today, but ... in doing so discovered issues with two different (Signet) chargers where they wouldn't initiate communication with my car. They claimed the car wasn't plugged in (it was). It all worked perfectly when I went to the slower 100kW charger next to it though....

8.) Charging begins.

Thank you for sharing. I tried a straight forward charge yesterday with my new ccs adapter and had no luck but hopeful to try autocharge+. Curious what your max charge rate was?