Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$39.95-$31=8.95, 8.95/39.95= 22.4%. So yeah, if you change what you said from "TSLA is down about 21% from its peak on 3/27" to "TSLA is down about 22% from its all-time high" you have a true statement there. :tongue:

Both true statements. You're using $31. I was using whatever the price was roughly at the time I made the post. And again, its peak on 3/27 is also its all-time high.

BYT_P1 said:
It's something all companies strive for. Xerox loves that people frequently call Copy Machines, Xerox Machines. Band-Aid for a bandage, Kleenex for a tissue..

Not true. They hate this.

I tend to disagree. Even if they publicly express their disapproval, you don't think they secretly love it? Their name becomes synonymous with the product they're selling. It's the ultimate in brand recognition. You don't think Jell-o loves that people refer to gelatine as Jell-o? You're that much more likely to pick up a package of Jell-o than some "off-brand" alternative, simply because you know the name.

No, most don't secretly love it - most large tech companies spend a great deal of money on brand protection and protect vigorously.

If they don't protect their brand, it becomes more difficult to protect their IP -- if they've allowed it to become diluted in the market, then they can't claim IP infringement.

I tend to disagree. Even if they publicly express their disapproval, you don't think they secretly love it? Their name becomes synonymous with the product they're selling. It's the ultimate in brand recognition. You don't think Jell-o loves that people refer to gelatine as Jell-o? You're that much more likely to pick up a package of Jell-o than some "off-brand" alternative, simply because you know the name.

When an "Open End Adjustable Spanner" becomes ubiquitously called a Crescent wrench then the Crescent company looses their trademark. Other manufactures can then market their wrenches as crescent wrenches. Lawsuits ensue. Check JeRod0802
's post above.

Also got the voting material via etrade, I think one might need to have certain options set for electronic delivery. (And already voted.)

From the shareholders letter:

Combined, our powertrain and Roadster sales have now put over 5,000 Tesla-powered electric vehicles on the
road, making Tesla the largest provider of EV powertrains in the world.

Would you have thought?

Hmmm, I'd say that Nissan/Renault and Mitsubishi are the largest providers of EV powertrains.

My "would you have thought?" referred to the 5,000 EVs on the street. I think that quoted sentence should have been better two separate sentences, with the second part (in context) referring to apparently more than 2,600 powertrains having been supplied to other companies. I haven't heard that Nissan or Mitsubishi supply power trains to other companies, but then, I might not know.

Looks like shorts did not cover much in the last fire sale.

Settlement Date Short Interest Avg Daily Share Volume Days To Cover
4/13/2012 23,529,330 1,632,847 14.410003
3/30/2012 24,238,623 1,203,607 20.138320
3/15/2012 25,058,088 855,832 29.279214

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tsla/short-interest#ixzz1t9YIQ9Md

Looks like a short squeeze is still in play. Next few weeks will be rock & roll. Elon will be all over the news with SpaceX Launch, earnings...

Game is still on!

"The EPA’s new fuel economy requirements will require us to label Model S utilizing new and different energy efficiency testing methodologies. These methodologies differ from the one we have used to estimate the range of the vehicles at a steady speed of 55 miles per hour and could reduce the range reported on the required labeling of our vehicles by up to 30% as compared to our current estimates."
Anti-EV folks are going to jump up and down yelling "See, range is terrible, EVs don't work with real usage and are going to strand you! Telsa was misleading you!".

The fact the range never really changed won't matter. We all know this stuff for what it is, but I'm dreading the firestorm of negativity when Tesla/Nissan/etc have to announce the lowered ranges.

Anti-EV folks are going to jump up and down yelling "See, range is terrible, EVs don't work with real usage and are going to strand you! Telsa was misleading you!".

The fact the range never really changed won't matter. We all know this stuff for what it is, but I'm dreading the firestorm of negativity when Tesla/Nissan/etc have to announce the lowered ranges.

The Anti's will definitely play this up. Hopefully we all know better. I am still cautiously optimistic that the model s will not take the 30% hit that the leaf took on the EPA rating. If I had to take a bet on what the EPA rating for the model s will be, I would wager the following :

40 KW : 140 miles
60 KW : 185 miles
85 KW : 255 miles

Hopefully the numbers are higher than this. If they are significantly lower, this will start costing some sales. I am in a situation were the only S i can afford is the 40, but I drive 100 miles round trip one day a week, so I need to know that I have a 120+ mile car even in the middle of winter. A model S rated at 140 will do this for me, but one rated at 120 probably would not give me enough of a safety margin, forcing me to either wait for blue star, or buy an ICE.

I would hope that any investor already understands that manufacture rating and EPA rating are two different things, and an EPA rating lower than the 160/230/300 will not have a huge impact on stock price.

But if EPA change their way of calculating, will not all carmanufacturers face the same problem of less optimistic consumptionlevels?
ICE in the first place!!! (worce dragcoefficent compared to a slick EV)

If EPA, does more start/stop citydriving, and afterwards 60mph, I think the hit on range will not be 30% but maybe 15% (just guessing)
star/stop for an ICE is hell!

But if EPA change their way of calculating, will not all carmanufacturers face the same problem of less optimistic consumptionlevels?
ICE in the first place!!! (worce dragcoefficent compared to a slick EV)

I don't think that matters. If Tesla and, say, Nissan were launching at the same time and the public saw both numbers get hammered at once, then perhaps there would be some understanding. As it stands though, Tesla has been saying 3 numbers for years, and when the car comes to market with numbers lower than they've been touting, the average joe isn't going to dive into WHY or even care, they're just going to think "I knew it was too good to be true" or similar.

OT.
Tesla's range and the new EPA testing

What's Tesla's scheme regarding range estimates and the new EPA drive cycle? Tesla says,
"The EPA’s new fuel economy requirements will require us to label Model S utilizing new and different energy efficiency testing methodologies. These methodologies differ from the one we have used to estimate the range of the vehicles at a steady speed of 55 miles per hour and could reduce the range reported on the required labeling of our vehicles by up to 30% as compared to our current estimates."

So why not re-release the new range numbers? Tesla certainly has the software to duplicate and estimate the new range numbers. Not to mention a dyno to put a real car on to duplicate the new testing.
Is the plan to say "We had a 300 range base tested on the old EPA drive cycle. Now the new "255" range (Rifleman's #) is based on the new EPA test. Please buy our car anyway. It's not our fault the EPA changed everything." ?
OR
Has Tesla already been giving us range numbers based on the new EPA drive cycle they new was coming 5 years ago? That would be awesome. (but the above quote does not support that).
Certainly a 30 percent drop is worst case and is unlikely. I would think that any technology based range gains that Tesla has engineered during construction will sadly go to make up the "loss" that the EPA has given the numbers. The software engineers did some amazing work on the Roadster during development. I can easily imagine that this round will be even better.

And what about those 320 mile wheels? Did Tesla say 320 or simply + 20 miles on whatever range package you bought for your S?

Status
Not open for further replies.