Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like total BS to me. Tesla has really been pretty up front about where their parts are coming from.

I agree. Buy the dip. 33.63 is a good spot where i'm adding even more.

Stock is getting crushed this morning, hard to believe that one rather bogus article matters that much. Yesterday it was up on little news and the market wasn't, today is the reverse. Never makes any sense :)

It's actually acted like a negative beta stock on a daily basis for the last few weeks. Just basing this off of observations. Not sure what it means or why.

Stock's trading like crap today though. Gaps everywhere. Looks like theres some buying volume coming in though. It needs to get over the 1m 50ma

It's trading like crap today. Can't break that 50ma.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27431/Screen%20Shot%202012-12-04%20at%2012.08.06%20PM.png

Could be more downside at this rate, but if it breaks holds over the 50ma should run back up. Testing yesterdays lows.

Spoke too soon. Looks like the fall is done. Broke and held on volume. Buy here. I'm on the ask for March 31 puts (selling the puts) here.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27431/Screen%20Shot%202012-12-04%20at%2012.12.42%20PM.png

I'm just gonna say it: it is no accident that this news is getting cycled today given the stock hit $35 yesterday. I think we need an SEC probe into why this news is out today. I suspect short sellers are behind it, and I'm not a conspiracy theory kind of guy; I just know that is how the game is played.

Here's the update from my broker.

10:04 AM EST, 12/04/2012 (MidnightTrader) -- Tesla Motors (TSLA) shares are down 1% following a report by the Washington Times claiming the company may be under investigation.

This is the source article which the other reports seem to be based on:

U.S. electric-car maker praised by Obama probed over foreign parts - Washington Times

This seems to be about a year-old investigation which was rendered irrelevant, based on info in that article itself:

The Energy Department watchdog office ultimately declined to join the probe, telling ICE that the federal loan to Tesla came about through a federal appropriations bill — not under Mr. Obama’s stimulus program.

While lots of taxpayer money was at stake either way, the difference in the funding source meant that the Tesla loan “does not have the same buy American requirement,” investigators from the Energy Department’s inspector general told ICE, according to records.

The timing of the article seems a bit questionable, especially since the info in the article removes its own basis. The info seems to have come with some kind of routine response related to "summaries for dozens of investigations" which don't seem to be Tesla specific, but are for "probes involving federal stimulus funds":

The details about the investigation came to light as a result of a request by The Times for final summaries for dozens of investigations by the Energy Department watchdog office for probes involving federal stimulus funds.

The two-page summary detailing the Energy Department watchdog’s limited involvement in the Tesla investigation provides no information on how, or whether, the customs probe concluded.

However, in this case, no stimulus funds were involved.

In other words, the best I can tell, this investigation was started a year ago and turned out to be without basis. It seems to be over and done with.

That the WT publishes such a page-long article makes me very suspicious, given that most people don't read such an article to such length, and probably miss that this is non-news. Combined with the response by other brokers, one gets the impression that this is being (ab-)used for certain agendas.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say it: it is no accident that this news is getting cycled today given the stock hit $35 yesterday. I think we need an SEC probe into why this news is out today. I suspect short sellers are behind it, and I'm not a conspiracy theory kind of guy; I just know that is how the game is played.

Just going by the time stamp on Google News and Musk's tweet. The article was posted two hours before the tweet. So unless the author had some really good insider info, I don't think it was planned in conjunction with the announcement. Maybe to cover shorts, since the article is a lot of non-info.

I thought the "Quiet Period" was the 90 days after an IPO? Is there another definition for this phrase?

The market maker stands to earn 2 mil if Jan 35 call options expire worthless. However, if it is above that amount, they risk having to put up $38 million of cash. That's about one day's worth of volume for Tesla stock. Because of the amount of money that's involved, I am guessing they have a bigger gun reserved for January. If there's a whale here with more than 38 mil, hey, crush them.

drinkerofkoolaid you are right. I looked it up. The "Silence period" before earnings is a self governed period, I guess it gives company an excuse when they don't have any rebuttal to whatever news is used to crush their stock pre earnings.:

For years, publicly traded companies have been citing rules from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission as reasons not to discuss almost anything related to corporate operations in the weeks preceding a quarterly report. "SEC-mandated quiet period" often becomes a boilerplate phrase for public-relations personnel when earnings are less than a month away.
Yet it's not even an SEC rule.
"The quiet period phenomenon is a matter of practice rather than regulation," SEC spokesman John Heine said. "You're not going to find a regulation that says 'you have to be quiet for 30 days' or something like that. However, there are provisions in securities laws that lead people...to be careful in how they handle certain types of information."
Companies tend to be more than a little careful these days. Take chip-equipment maker Applied Materials as an example.

Last edited:
Just going by the time stamp on Google News and Musk's tweet. The article was posted two hours before the tweet. So unless the author had some really good insider info, I don't think it was planned in conjunction with the announcement. Maybe to cover shorts, since the article is a lot of non-info.

The article also mentions that they communicated with Tesla on Friday. So it's not related to the tweet itself, but given that this info comes from an investigation a year old, and apparently has no basis in the first place, yet still is a page long, and comes with such a headline, makes me suspicious about the agenda. The timing, I would guess, is more related to other news indicating Tesla is becoming a viable company, and consequently the stock going up well above $30. So those having a negative view of Tesla start thinking "wait a moment, this can't be right" and then get inclined to launch (apparently) misleading articles like this, in their own mind getting things to where they should be.

The article also mentions that they communicated with Tesla on Friday. So it's not related to the tweet itself, but given that this info comes from an investigation a year old, and apparently has no basis in the first place, yet still is a page long, and comes with such a headline, makes me suspicious about the agenda. The timing, I would guess, is more related to other news indicating Tesla is becoming a viable company, and consequently the stock going up well above $30. So those having a negative view of Tesla start thinking "wait a moment, this can't be right" and then get inclined to launch (apparently) misleading articles like this, in their own mind getting things to where they should be.

I shed a few tears. Tesla is entering the big leagues now and some of the usual players are using their news channel to sling mud at it. Rejoice, this is a great day.

Reading the article, it looks like a partisan slam on Obama. The timing may look suspicious because a little faux "bad news" might help shorts get out with their shirts intact. Or maybe the partisan slam is just cover... you'll never know.

In the last two weeks, the same author, Jim McElhatton, wrote two articles warming up the Solyndra investigation (which however is active and ongoing, but doesn't seem to have real news either). I'd say that confirms the impression that this is part of a "partisan slam on Obama", as you say. And found worth of an article since Tesla is becoming relevant on a national level, now.

- - - Updated - - -
-----

Unless the news (about Tesla becoming cash flow positive) already came out last week in back channels, I'm once more surprised that positive news seem to have little effect on the stock price.

- - - Updated - - -
-----

Unless the news (about Tesla becoming cash flow positive) already came out last week in back channels, I'm once more surprised that positive news seem to have little effect on the stock price.

Yah, its very very surprising. Them being cashflow positive means no more secondaries. That removes a huge risk.

I still think we're going to get a huge move up because of this news very soon. Today was a flush to test whoever bought on the way up yesterday. The day is not over yet, what happens at the close will be significant either way.

I added some very short dated calls (Dec) and started my put spread strategy.SOLD -3 TSLA 100 MAR 13 31 PUT @3.20. $350 margin req per put

Status
Not open for further replies.