Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA long - Toyota, GM, Starbucks Royal Caribbean short or what is your strategy to survive

What is YOUR current TSLA recommendation

• Buy

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Sell

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Hold

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I held only TSLA shares in my portfolio for years painfully (hey, even Warrant Buffet said that investing in a bunch of stocks and indexes makes little sense if you wish to be above the average) until this crises, and I wish to somehow hold on to the Tesla shares which I even bough on margin. So, instead of selling a bunch in order to minimize my exposure I decided to short a bunch of others. So far it's working, and I am wandering how others who are holding TSLA share are coping and managing their portfolios.

GM might just file for their next bankruptcy:

Toyota I think is generally overpriced with their PE of over 7 and their head being in the sand when it comes ti EV adoption and "fool cell" thought process. The entire auto market will shrink if the virus outbreaks continues.

Starbucks is stuck with some of the highest pried leases thought the world in the vastly collapsing commercial real estate market and no foot traffic in their stores. Coffee also makes your body more acidic and apparently even lessens the immune's system's ability to be effective for a short time. Their coffee drinks are over sugared and bakery items simply did not compare to local bakery's.

Royal Caribbean just had a bad luck scenario, unfortunately, along with the entire cruise industry.

Tesla might just make it once again because it is such an innovative company and even if the outbreak continues I think they are in the best position to make the assembly process more automated since they also acquired a German industrial automation company Grohmann.

Tesla Model S and X also come with a biodefense hospital grade air filters, and the sales of those models might increase if the virus outbreak continues. Hint: Tesla please introduce the same filters in all of your models.

Tesla is already showing signs of adaption to this new reality, with a possible introduction of highly efficient home heater/AC with a similar bio defense filter (hopefully): Tesla smart home HVAC: Elon Musk considers the new product again - Electrek

Tesla is very diversified: auto, home energy, commercial energy, self-driving tech, possible new products, etc.

Oh surely this can't go tits up.
I think what you are looking for is r/WSB.

Seriously though, I hope you understand the risks associated with what you are doing. Over-leveraging like this is a recipe for disaster... If you really want to over-leverage, roll your stonk into LEAPS, it's a much better strategy (in the sense of defined finite risk that doesn't give your broker the liberty to liquidate your positions if things go sideways).

Plenty of prop shops, hedge funds, and others have gone tits up being over-leveraged. What you are describing is a scary thing for retail investors... Even if you are a highly sophisticated investor, I'm afraid someone else will see this and follow this strategy and blow themselves up.

There are always risks, my friend hershey101 -- I drive two Teslas ONLY because I took the risks. I got in at high 200's on TSLA, so I benefited greatly by buying on margin. Then I sold some shares in 500's just to cover the margin, made a ton of dow. But depending on how this unfolds I am prepared to buy more. I am basically using short positions in stocks like GM and Toyota to hold on to my TSLA long position--obviously not for a novice investor.

There are always risks, my friend hershey101 -- I drive two Teslas ONLY because I took the risks. I got in at high 200's on TSLA, so I benefited greatly by buying on margin. Then I sold some shares in 500's just to cover the margin, made a ton of dow. But depending on how this unfolds I am prepared to buy more. I am basically using short positions in stocks like GM and Toyota to hold on to my TSLA long position--obviously not for a novice investor.

I'm curious what the benefits of going that route over say: Just buying OTM calls is? I've been riding the $TSLA train since $32 so yeah I get the joys of trading TSLA. But I do it slightly differently, I buy stonk (sometimes write covered calls to get a bit extra, though I missed out on a lot by this when we shot up from 300->900 in a matter of weeks).
And with a decent percentage of my portfolio I trade the trend (weeklies/monthlies calls/puts).

Reactions: phantasms