Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not "Market Action" but relevant to IRA discussion. In 2013 my investment adviser for my 401-k said I was not allowed to buy SCTY IPO and that I should sell my shares of TSLA before it crashed. I took his FUD laced advice into consideration. My next move was to set up my own self-directed IRA and take full control of my investments. My ex-financial adviser was telling me that I was going to be very sorry as I walked out the door. That was another prediction he made that was wrong. It seems to me there should be some vehicle that you could create for yourself to eventually own private shares in Tesla once the details become clear.

My accountant advised me to create a corp. Basically becoming an Institutional investor myself... It's a complicated tax structure.

Right now, I wish I am an EU citizen somewhere where capital gains tax is 0. Maybe I should cozy up to that Slovenial girl even more.

Love how it swings the other way now. I hate to channel Trump, but I'm beginning to hate these Fake News headlines-chasing idiots.

There are big doubts about how Musk will pull off the Tesla buyout, but Morgan Stanley may have found a way

According to every SA post, Bloomberg, WSJ, etc, everyone saying no big investment banks/funds could do this... Liars!

It’s crazy. Just a little while ago in NPR, of all networks, had a FUDster analyst sharing his opinions. :eek:

It’s crazy. Just a little while ago in NPR, of all networks, had a FUDster analyst sharing his opinions. :eek:
Well, if they do one of each- one FUDster, one not, then it might be objective from their viewpoint.

Compare that to the Iraq campaign prelude - WMD, WMD, WMD, we've got to go in, we got to.
Well, we didn't find WMD. But CNN was was covered in them top to bottom.

Last edited:
Between Dorado fishing and reading this fascinating (and overheated!) thread, I've continued to read Ashlee Vance's biography of EM. It's fascinating to read it through the prism of Elon's maneuver to take the company private. As the vitriol and FUD sewn by shorts and like-minded media outlets have steadily ratcheted up over the past year despite increasingly good objective news, I was struck by an observation made by Antonio Gracias, a friend of Elon's and a longtime investor in both Tesla and Space X. Referencing the dark days of 2008, when both Tesla and Space X were on the brink of financial disaster, Gracias noted:

"Most people who are under that sort of pressure fray. Their decisions go bad. Elon gets hyperrational. He's still able to make very clear, long-term decisions. The harder it gets, the better he gets."

Shorts should be very afraid knowing this is how their targeted CEO responds to pressure.

I’m a few pages behind, hard to keep up but all the stock movement talk got me thinking.

What would keep a big fish from setting up a long straddle, then shorting a large sum of shares quickly to push the stock down. Once stock is pushed down, sell put side of straddle. Once that is closed, reverse the process by buying back shares to raise the stock price then closing out the calls?

Hmm, I just realized the straddle would be a waste, just buy the options before you push the stock in that direction and reverse, make more money.

Seems they could play this game all day, every day.

Did not take long:

"Tesla shareholder files proposed class-action lawsuit accusing company, CEO Elon Musk of securities fraud - court filing"

Reuters again

Tesla CEO Musk accused in lawsuit of defrauding shareholders

There will be about 30 of these launched next week. The media will act shocked as if they don't know this happens every time there is the slightest possibility of a potentially successful suit - the legal firms all rush to get their class action started first.

Was this the guy on CNBC who on air said he bought in so he could sue?

I’m a few pages behind, hard to keep up but all the stock movement talk got me thinking.

What would keep a big fish from setting up a long straddle, then shorting a large sum of shares quickly to push the stock down. Once stock is pushed down, sell put side of straddle. Once that is closed, reverse the process by buying back shares to raise the stock price then closing out the calls?

Hmm, I just realized the straddle would be a waste, just buy the options before you push the stock in that direction and reverse, make more money.

Seems they could play this game all day, every day.
That's illegal market manipulation, and happens every day to TSLA.

I apologize if this was posted yesterday. Just random thoughts on the privatization. We'll know soon enough! From Electrek comments section:
Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 5.13.39 PM.png

• Disagree
Reactions: CorneliusXX
If the board is truly acting in shareholders interest, then...

1) the board will make a public statement about whether the $420 offer is a fair offer or not. Given previous statements by Tesla management on expectations about the future of the company, isn’t $420 a very low offer and likely to be rejected by the board? (if its truly acting on shareholders behalf).
2) regardless of whether or not the board judges the $420 reasonable, isn’t it also the boards duty on behalf of shareholders to seek alternative higher offers for the company if available?

I’m thinking about this as I personally think $420 is way too low a price, and if you are a shareholder who is unable to participate in keeping shares after going private, then you would have in my opinion a justified greviance with the board if they accept a low offer without exploring alternative acquirers, or even just recommending against the offer and remaining a publicly listed company.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.