Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to wonder if his lawyer dumped him... And if he hasn't already he might now. It would seem that he is opening himself up to more damages from Elon personally as well as Tesla. For example, he has just provided evidence to the world that he broke his employment contract with Tesla. (Assuming that his contract said that he wasn't allowed to take and/or release pictures of Tesla IP/processes/factories.)

That true but even better Tesla can now prove he is wrong as they have VIN numbers to work with. Once that is proven there is no way out for him.

Martin Tripp (remember the 'saboteur' and 'hacker'?) is tweeting up a storm this afternoon. He's posting VINs of Teslas with allegedly damaged batteries and inventories of tens of millions of dollars worth of scrapped parts, with MOS reports and photos of scrap and vast quantities of storage containers.

Insofar that the screenshots are not doctored, it learns us that the cost of one module to Tesla is $2759,93. Uncertain if these are long/short modules or a blend. It would roughly point to a total modules cost of $11 000. Add in another $1000 for the pack assembly/skeleton and we get to battery pack costs of $160/kWh.

One thing that still seems a mystery is the low Q3 guidance of Model 3 production of 50-55k - which suggests a manufacturing rate of 3,850-4,230/week - well below 5k/week sustained.

Is this:
  • Due to the Panasonic cell manufacturing bottleneck at the Gigafactory?
  • Due to a planned shotdown in Q3 for upgrades, which would lower the rate?
  • Or is it simply conservative guidance they expect to beat? (Which would be a first for Tesla, so color me sceptical ...)
They already had planned buyout, you can throw all these numbers in the garbage bin.

Insofar that the screenshots are not doctored, it learns us that the cost of one module to Tesla is $2759,93. Uncertain if these are long/short modules or a blend. It would roughly point to a total modules cost of $11 000. Add in another $1000 for the pack assembly/skeleton and we get to battery pack costs of $160/kWh.

Huh?

1) Tesla isn't manufacturing SRs. Of course they're LR packs.

2) I forget the nominal (not usable) capacity, but if I recall correctly it's something like 76,4kWh. That would be $144,47/kWh, not $160/kWh. Nominal capacity might even have been higher, wherein $/kWh would be lower.

3) Tripp stole the data partway through Q2. These would not be present costs.

Good of you to point out that these are per-pack costs, not per-cell costs, though. Even $160/kWh would be pretty impressive for per-pack costs - a lot of manufacturers pay close to that for cells.

Some discussion about LEAPs being bad. I had J20 leaps at strikes above $420 and as soon as I saw Elon Taking Private tweet I sold them and moved to Nov 18 DITM Calls.

LEAPS would still be a great option if Tesla wasn't going private, but with the uncertainty around going private date and the price being currently set to $420 anything beyond J19 and above $420 is a risk.

I only invest in Tesla and watch it like a hawk. If it looks like the going private deal won't happen, if you act quickly you could get J20 Leaps very cheap.

Huh?

2) I forget the nominal (not usable) capacity, but if I recall correctly it's something like 76,4kWh. That would be $144,47/kWh, not $160/kWh.
The long range packs have four modules, two shorter modules and two longer modules. If one module is $2759, the question is what version of the module that price belongs to.

They might be able to avoid a squeeze(I'm actually ok with that, I don't need to see people lose everything)

Well, if the (informal) allegations are true, that short seller Jim Chanos actively tried/tries to bring about Tesla's downfall, then there would be some justice in him losing everything he has to back up his attempt. If on the other hand a clueless opportunist like Linette Lopez was duped by his performance and decided to tag along, then I agree. However, an experienced investor like Chanos surely has multiple tricks left to play, so I expect him to be the last one to lose out.

Reactions: neroden
Someone should ask his lawyers about his Twitter behavior :)

You jest, but to me Tripp's tweeting indicates that he has no legal representation. For one thing, in a high-stakes case like this, you would let your legal representation take care of communicating with the public, you would not do that yourself (except if you are trying to be your former boss, Elon Musk).

And if Tripp did have legal representation, his lawyers would at this point invoke a clause that they surely have in their contract with him, that they are free to drop his case if he makes their job too difficult. Which he just did (since his Whistleblower protection is contingent on him passing on his insider knowledge to the relevant authorities, not to the public).

Tripp is clearly desperate, knowing that he is about to be (financially) obliterated by the multi-billion dollar employer that he betrayed. So if someone else approached him and convinced him that he could contribute to a greater plan of bankrupting Tesla, then Tripp could very well grasp at that last straw. Which naturally makes his position much worse.

Pure speculation, naturally.

I feel like this deal is too rushed out. Elon should have taken his time. Which is probably an oxymoron, but whatever.

Also, even though I accept this deal, I'm still not appreciating it. I still think it's unnecessary, and from a selfish standpoint : I won't be able to take advantage of the mood of the market to accumulate :(
And you feel it why? according to what? What another "no smoke without fire" BS? How old are you?
You are feed with narrative. Like a sheep is feed with grass.

His selfish standpoint is very simple. As a private company he will be able to tap venture capital when needed. Silicon Valley don't do Wall Street games. (see Cuban adventure as a perfect reason why). He gets from the Wall street jack.
Tesla being twice more expensive than SpaceX got actually less investments or loans.
As a private company he will have space to expand, shrink or change his motley crew of companies, shops and places which form now Tesla without retarded comments inherent for public companies, shareholder suits and other crap.
He is lucky all these analysts are veritably stupid and are incapable to form proper relevant FUD. It's not that difficult by omitting some "small details" to build very good and strong miss-management cases :) against him as an CEO of an auto company.

What many people miss here and what is very relevant for Musk and his team:
His company has 38k people. They all have relatives and they all have to find comments or answers to this incredible FUD filling media space every day. They all are Tesla shareholders beside everything else and this continuous sh^tstorm obviously stresses their moral with incredible pressure.
He started it obviously somewhere in April or May. He does MBO by the book.

2) I forget the nominal (not usable) capacity, but if I recall correctly it's something like 76,4kWh. That would be $144,47/kWh, not $160/kWh. Nominal capacity might even have been higher, wherein $/kWh would be lower.

Good of you to point out that these are per-pack costs, not per-cell costs, though. Even $160/kWh would be pretty impressive for per-pack costs - a lot of manufacturers pay close to that for cells.

1) There are two different types of modules in one Model 3.
2) Don't forget the cost of the pack assembly.
3) Obviously. But I don't expect it to differ materially.

$160 is about a $40-$60 cost improvement over other manufacturers, or roughly $2500/car over the short range competitors (there are no current long range competitors available). Good but far from make or break in itself.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
What's FUD? The reporting about the SEC subpoenaing Tesla about the tweets? Are you really doubting the SEC subpoenaed Tesla?
I am sure that it didn't happen. They can ask for additional information and remind about company's obligation to inform public about any relevant events. That's it.

Musk acted not a CEO of Tesla in these tweets but as a buyer.
The process is called MBO and there's plenty of information about. Just sit and read.

If SEC would go nuts they would have to bother with Musk. Judging by the heavy lifters Musk recruited I am sure SEC never did anything stupid.
It's all noise.

Reactions: Lessmog and Lhan
This is not the best of news. It actually means about a 10% increase in coal use compared to 2016 in China (1625 * 58% = 942 GW in 2016 vs 3188 * 32% = 1020 GW in 2040 produced by coal). It means a slight increase in their CO2 production.

But you are not taking into account the amount of fossil fuel _not_ being burnt by ICEs, that are either replaced by the new BEV's or never bought in the first place. While China's pool of cars is growing, it is easy to imagine that enough existing ICEs will be replaced by BEVs to achieve a net reduction in CO2 pollution.

And you feel it why? according to what? What another "no smoke without fire" BS? How old are you?
You are feed with narrative. Like a sheep is feed with grass.

His selfish standpoint is very simple. As a private company he will be able to tap venture capital when needed. Silicon Valley don't do Wall Street games. (see Cuban adventure as a perfect reason why). He gets from the Wall street jack.
Tesla being twice more expensive than SpaceX got actually less investments or loans.
As a private company he will have space to expand, shrink or change his motley crew of companies, shops and places which form now Tesla without retarded comments inherent for public companies, shareholder suits and other crap.
He is lucky all these analysts are veritably stupid and are incapable to form proper relevant FUD. It's not that difficult by omitting some "small details" to build very good and strong miss-management cases :) against him as an CEO of an auto company.

What many people miss here and what is very relevant for Musk and his team:
His company has 38k people. They all have relatives and they all have to find comments or answers to this incredible FUD filling media space every day. They all are Tesla shareholders beside everything else and this continuous sh^tstorm obviously stresses their moral with incredible pressure.
He started it obviously somewhere in April or May. He does MBO by the book.

"And you feel it why? according to what? "

He shouldn't have tweeted anything, until everything is prepared.
I'm not fed with the narrative. I just want to be able to invest every time I want and benefit from the stupidity of the market. This will be more difficult now. That's why I said I accept this deal, but selfishly I don't appreciate it.

"And you feel it why? according to what? "

He shouldn't have tweeted anything, until everything is prepared.
I'm not fed with the narrative. I just want to be able to invest every time I want and benefit from the stupidity of the market. This will be more difficult now. That's why I said I accept this deal, but selfishly I don't appreciate it.
Any underway negotiations between Tesla/Board/CEO and potential investor(s), which result could change position of existing investors, must be declared in advance, to protect you also. Tesla is public company. Still...;)

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Well Musk definitely screwed up here. He likes to make his own life difficult I think. After awhile you wonder if he learns to keep his fingers in his pockets and off his phone.

Ive got money in the game myself and it's not on the short side, but honestly what was the purpose of the tweet? He could have said much less and had the same outcome. I'm not attacking your faith in musk or Tesla. I've invested for 4+ years now. All I think is he should have left off the funding secured part ..I mean , it seems obvious he was too impulsive with that.

I don't like the 420 being in the tweet, that was definitely unnecessary. A better tweet would have been "Have been approached by major investors and see it as a catalyst to potentially take Tesla private. Will first discuss with other players before making a more formal announcement and decision on whether to move forward with the idea". Or something similar. 100% factual and clear. Would still have spooked the shorty-shorts and commits to nothing.

To me, it sounds like his "whistle blower" attempt fell flat.

I wonder if the government looked at his evidence and just sent him on his way.

Yes, surely if there's an investigation ongoing then he shouldn't be tweeting this stuff?

I am certainly no expert on financial law by any means but it seems to me that if Elon had not publicized his thoughts on taking the company private and that he had discussed and potentially "secured" funding, then he would have been guilty of withholding information from retail investors and thus giving unfair advantage to the large investors he had discussed it with. Isn't the SEC's purpose to protect the interests of all retail investors, including the small guys?

Seems to me that his infamous tweet was insuring that he was following common practice by ensuring the dissemination of information and intent to all public parties. I don't get it.

Dan

I don't like the 420 being in the tweet, that was definitely unnecessary. A better tweet would have been "Have been approached by major investors and see it as a catalyst to potentially take Tesla private. Will first discuss with other players before making a more formal announcement and decision on whether to move forward with the idea". Or something similar. 100% factual and clear. Would still have spooked the shorty-shorts and commits to nothing.

Yes, surely if there's an investigation ongoing then he shouldn't be tweeting this stuff?

What’s wrong with stating the price if he had backing for that? In Monday’s blog post he explained that he wanted to discuss the go-private plans with some of the big investors and take their temperature on whether they would participate in TSLAP. Price is obviously an important part of the equation — they might feel differently if the price were $350 v. $420 v $500.

More broadly, I don’t get why people are criticizing Elon for announcing the deal when he did. Would you have preferred being kept in the dark while he informed the big investors about it? Talking to them was obviously an essential step in the process of figuring out how much cash needs to be raised.

Do people like being kept in the dark while the big fish are fed valuable information?

People can debate the words that were used but I really don’t understand why some seem to think it would be better to have less information or get it later than big institutional investors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.