Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW:

"Trond Grande, deputy CEO of the Norwegian fund, declined to say whether Tesla had approached the fund about going private."​

That kind of refusal to comment (from a fund manager otherwise willing to talk to the reporter) is generally only done if the Norwegian fund is indeed in talks with Tesla and potentially other shareholders, under NDA.

(If they had not been approached yet there would be no reason to not share that information.)

This appears to be the first indirect confirmation that the largest Tesla shareholders are actively participating in a going-private negotiation process.
The above is speculation in my view.

Generally, the fund doesn't discuss specific investments at all. I was surprised they got them to say that much, and I think they would have said the same thing regardless of any discussions that are or aren't happening.

Have bought two model 3 but I don’t report them on spread sheets or trackers. I am not alone and suspect in the majority. These trackers are not representative

1) Bloomberg does not use only reported VINs. That's just one datasource.

2) Even in regards to that one datasource, they don't expect anywhere even remotely close to all VINs. The reported VINs build a scatterplot of which VIN ranges are being delivered over time.

The above is speculation in my view.

Generally, the fund doesn't discuss specific investments at all. I was surprised they got them to say that much, and I think they would have said the same thing regardless of any discussions that are or aren't happening.

Even more speculation: I think their willingness to talk was a function of the fast drop in price. By giving some clarity they can protect their investment.

I.e. (speculation!) the Norway fund is trying to signal that everything is fine so far from their perspective, no need to worry.

UPDATE 1-Morgan Stanley halts research coverage of Tesla

Title says it all, because they may be advising Tesla. :)

So, to sum it all up:
  • Morgan Stanley might be advising Tesla in the going-private due diligence and negotiation process,
  • Goldman Sachs is advising Elon Musk (in his capacity as the #1 shareholder and proposer of the buyout, not as the CEO of Tesla),
  • Silver Lake Partners (the big fund which financed Michael Dell's buyout of Dell which transaction took Dell private in 2013) is advising Elon Musk,
  • A few weeks ago Tesla hired Dave Morton as a new Chief Accounting Officer, who (incidentally) led Seagate's going-private transaction in 2002 on the Seagate side,
  • Saudi PIF is interested in Tesla going private and bought a 5% share on the open market,
But there's obviously zero chance for Elon's going-private tweet to be true and for Tesla to go private ...

Last edited:
So, to sum it all up:
  • Morgan Stanley might be advising Tesla in the going-private due diligence and negotiation process,
  • Goldman Sachs is advising Elon Musk (as #1 shareholder and proposer of the buyout),
  • Silver Lake Partners (the big fund which financed Michael Dell's buyout of Dell which transaction took Dell private in 2013) is advising Elon Musk,
  • A few weeks ago Tesla hired Dave Morton as a new Chief Accounting Officer, who (incidentally) led Seagate's going-private transaction in 2002 on the Seagate side,
  • Saudi PIF is interested in Tesla going private and bought a 5% share on the open market,
But there's obviously zero chance for Elon's going-private tweet to be true and for Tesla to go private ...

GS, the #1 shareholder...
what does that mean exactly?

• Helpful
Reactions: Fact Checking
GS, the #1 shareholder...
what does that mean exactly?

Yeah, it's ambiguous, I clarified it to:
  • Goldman Sachs is advising Elon Musk (in his capacity as the #1 shareholder and proposer of the buyout, not as the CEO of Tesla),
Because for the going-private transaction Elon and Tesla are two different parties. (Similarly to how Michael Dell and Dell were different parties as well.)

Yeah, it's ambiguous, I clarified it to:
Because for the going-private transaction Elon and Tesla are two different parties. (Similarly to how Michael Dell and Dell were different parties as well.)

gotcha. thanks!

Rather than attributing to "fat finger error", one possibility on the 200,000 share sale at 3:33PM yesterday is a margin call that must be made whole by 3:30PM. That sale dropped the price from $305.37 to $300.20, and then SP quickly recovered.

Here is an example from past history on large margin calls: >> "The stock sales help to explain an over 14% drop in Valeant shares on Thursday on seemingly little news." Valeant CEO Michael Pearson Sells 1.3 Million Shares After Margin Call On $100 Million Loan

Even UBS doesn't know. I think you are taking these reports seriously. These are not meant to be seriously researched accurate reports. No one outside of Tesla are in a good position to do accurate tear down cost analysis. That goes to UBS or Munro or the German's analysis.

Read these reports for entertainment value and move on.
Yes but Elon lent significant credence to the German estimates when he tweeted their report...

I'm being purposefully vague here.
A guy who knows a guy told me that TSLA is the Norwegian Wealth Funds biggest short position.
Their public long position is just for show.

I judge the information to be 80% likely to be correct.
They don't really have short positions. The wealth fund for the most part operates as an index fund.

But they do have some money under active management at independent funds. It's entirely possible these funds could have short positions on Tesla. (Though most of these independent funds are operating in places like Russia and China - I don't know if they have money under active management in the US.)

I'm being purposefully vague here.
A guy who knows a guy told me that TSLA is the Norwegian Wealth Funds biggest short position.
Their public long position is just for show.

I judge the information to be 80% likely to be correct.
They're not and they have very strong and inflexible requirements.

In any case, they don't seem to be big fans of TSLA, despite the ubiquity of the cars in their country. They have about 1.5% of all stocks, but only have 0.5% of Tesla

What TMCer has been sued by shorts?

When people sue they go after deep pockets.

Ambulance chasers don't go after regular middle class folks, there is no profit in it.

Maybe accredited investors should stop stating they are so certified? LOL.
People with deep pockets don't sue for cash. They sue to silence the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.