Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than attributing to "fat finger error", one possibility on the 200,000 share sale at 3:33PM yesterday is a margin call that must be made whole by 3:30PM. That sale dropped the price from $305.37 to $300.20, and then SP quickly recovered.

Here is an example from past history on large margin calls: >> "The stock sales help to explain an over 14% drop in Valeant shares on Thursday on seemingly little news." Valeant CEO Michael Pearson Sells 1.3 Million Shares After Margin Call On $100 Million Loan

Pretty sure it was a simple, knee-jerk reaction to the WSJ FUD headline that hit right before the drop.

It looks like Elon Musk has deleted his Instagram account

• In Banks' Instagram story on Monday, she tagged Elon Musk asking for her phone back.

Wow, interesting article. If true, looks like this is what happens when you have a young entertainment star as a girlfriend. They tend to have unusual friends, and those friends, apparently, aren’t mature/experienced enough to not blab crap about sensitive $50B business deals. Also, hopefully Elon has learnt a lesson about where he makes sensitive phone calls.

Incidentally, I think Banks misinterpreted what she heard. I doubt she has the experience or knowledge to properly report on what she heard.

I'm being purposefully vague here.
A guy who knows a guy told me that TSLA is the Norwegian Wealth Funds biggest short position.
Their public long position is just for show.

I judge the information to be 80% likely to be correct.

In general the fund only holds long positions.

They rarely take up short positions, only under certain conditions: https://brage.bibsys.no/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/222854/Masterthesis102.pdf?sequence=1

It's highly unlikely that they would hold a "public" long position (owning 0,48% of Tesla) while at the same time holding an even larger short position in secrecy.

As a neat side note: The fund owns 1.4 percent of all globally listed shares.

Just a curious question from the outside - does the USA (or parts of it...) have a press ombudsman/complaints authority like most (all?) other countries I have lived in? Ditto an Advertising Standards Authority.....

This is primarily for false reporting; slander; unfair comment; anything illegally reported; and so on.

If there is/are such bodies in the states, could none of the clearly 'unbalanced'/detrimental articles be reported?

I'm sure that if reporting along the Tesla lines was being waged against, say, Coca Cola, they would not just sit by passively?!

Just asking.....

Just a curious question from the outside - does the USA (or parts of it...) have a press ombudsman/complaints authority like most (all?) other countries I have lived in? Ditto an Advertising Standards Authority.....

This is primarily for false reporting; slander; unfair comment; anything illegally reported; and so on.

If there is/are such bodies in the states, could none of the clearly 'unbalanced'/detrimental articles be reported?

I'm sure that if reporting along the Tesla lines was being waged against, say, Coca Cola, they would not just sit by passively?!

Just asking.....

Nah, we just have armies of lawyers :D

Wow, interesting article. If true, looks like this is what happens when you have a young entertainment star as a girlfriend. They tend to have unusual friends, and those friends, apparently, aren’t mature/experienced enough to not blab crap about sensitive $50B business deals. Also, hopefully Elon has learnt a lesson about where he makes sensitive phone calls.

Incidentally, I think Banks misinterpreted what she heard. I doubt she has the experience or knowledge to properly report on what she heard.

this is all ridiculous, and not something that investors want to see go on, let alone be picked apart in tabloids. the sooner he can separate himself from that mess the better. unbelievable

Just asking.....
The first amendment would prohibit any efforts at government control. Anyone can be a "journalist" since formally requiring degrees or credentials would be a violation of the first amendment to our constitution.

So, to sum it all up:
  • Morgan Stanley might be advising Tesla in the going-private due diligence and negotiation process,
  • Goldman Sachs is advising Elon Musk (in his capacity as the #1 shareholder and proposer of the buyout, not as the CEO of Tesla),
  • Silver Lake Partners (the big fund which financed Michael Dell's buyout of Dell which transaction took Dell private in 2013) is advising Elon Musk,
  • A few weeks ago Tesla hired Dave Morton as a new Chief Accounting Officer, who (incidentally) led Seagate's going-private transaction in 2002 on the Seagate side,
  • Saudi PIF is interested in Tesla going private and bought a 5% share on the open market,
But there's obviously zero chance for Elon's going-private tweet to be true and for Tesla to go private ...

You could add to the list, the high powered law firms that are representing Elon and the board.

Banks didn't "hear" anything. Musk wasn't even home that weekend, and she was staying in a guest house, not the main house. It may not shock you to learn that her claims that "Musk bribed her lawyer to delete evidence off her phone" are nonsense as well. She's famously a fantasist who loves starting fights (both figurative and literal), with everyone from rappers to Sarah Palin. She's banned from Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.