Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Say in Canada with annual temperature ranges of -30°C to +30°C (and wider) will cause some extra wear&tear when starting cold from an unheated garage, when the lubricant film (oil) still has higher viscosity.

Exactly the same conditions transmissions, bearings, differentials, and transaxles have always dealt with. I'd expect minimal to no increased wear from such conditions.

Reactions: mongo and gene
Honestly, unless it gets back into the $240s, which would open up new buying opportunities, or unless there's some meaningful news, we're in the doldrums here, just drifting around waiting for the Q3 report.

News of the judge approving the joint statement should at this point be $280+. Definitely expect buyers leading up to Q3 financials.

I've seen this story already with Netflix. The highest adoption rate was with the youngest demographics. But then what happened is they all shared their accounts. Same thing will happen here. :p
I can see it now... Alice summons the car that she shares with Bob down the road, but before it arrives Bob summons it back...

• Funny
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Random question - why doesn't Tesla create it's own dealerships and roll them up under a wholly owned subsidiary? They could use these in the states are have very restrictive laws requiring dealers (unless the laws stipulate that the car company can't own the dealer), rather than fighting it out w/ all these states. Tesla is sticking to their guns, fighting for their ideals, but I don't see the downside to "bending" on this particular battle.

Unlike the battery module, the gearbox and the motor is not pre-heated I believe?

I don't think its possible to heat the battery w/o also heating the motor and gearbox, since the heat source for the battery is the rear cooling loop (power electronics, motor, gearbox). Ingineerix released a video on the cooling system architecture (embedded below).

"Ingineer" (link to DISQUS profile) traces the components from front to rear in this overview video:
  • Coolant reservoir
  • 2 coolant pumps
  • 4-way valve:
    • small portion of coolant flow used to cool the computers at front of Model 3
    • AC unit can be used to chill coolant below ambient temp during supercharging
  • 4 coolant inputs at the front of the battery pack
  • 2 coolant outlets at the rear of the battery pack
  • Y-manifold in rear leads to another 4 way valve
  • forms a series connection to rear powertrain cooling loop:
    • PCS (power conversion system)
      • charger
      • DC/DC converter
    • Inverter (motor controller)
    • gear train:
      • oil cooler
      • separate oil pump
      • oil filter
    • heated glycol returned via rear 4-way valve, then routed to heat the battery pack
Ingineerix: (concluding statement) "It's very similar to Model S however it looks like it's overall just a little simpler... and the noted absence there is no battery heater so they use the powetrain waste heat and they actually have a mode where they can put it in a less efficient mode to waste more heat that can heat the battery up faster in the Winter and of course the waste heat from the PCS is also used."

So to preheat the battery, they put the drivetrain into a heat generating mode, and cycle gycol coolant from the PCS through the motor, gearbox and battery in a loop. The 2 sets of 4-way valves in the coolant system allow various parts of the loops to be isolated or flow regulated. Ingenious Ingeneering, Eye'd say.

Model 3 preheats the battery by transferring heat from the power electronics and power train. So the powertrain is automatically and necessarily preheated as well.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I don't think its possible to heat the battery w/o also heating the motor and gearbox, since they are all on one common coolant loop. Ingineerix released a video on the cooling system architecture.

Thank you, that is very useful information!

This should be one of the design decisions leading to the extremely long 1 million miles longevity of the drive train I think: not driving with insufficient lubrication at all (with a too cold gearbox) should make quite a difference I think.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
why doesn't Tesla create it's own dealerships and roll them up under a wholly owned subsidiary?
State laws disallow that. They only allow dealerships that are actually independent of the manufacturer.

Remember, state laws were written when dealers feared OEMs will directly sell, bypassing the dealers. Dealers had put in a lot of investment and they would lose out.

But now, the same laws have become a protection racket.

Exactly the same conditions transmissions, bearings, differentials, and transaxles have always dealt with. I'd expect minimal to no increased wear from such conditions.

Dunno - while a company selling lubricants is not a particularly authoritative source:

Combat the Effects of Cold Temperatures

"Automatic transmissions can shift harder in the cold, but changes in transmission performance brought on by cold temperatures are usually more pronounced for drivers who operate manual transmissions. As transmission fluid thickens in the cold, the synchronizers in manual transmissions cannot spin as quickly as they need to, which can severely impact the driver’s ability to shift until the fluid is warmed enough to provide proper flow – and protection."​

Plus a Tesla gearbox is much simpler than an automatic transmission.

Also, @Artful Dodger pointed out that the Tesla gearbox can be heated, so I guess my argument is moot from that angle as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Tslynk67

I kinda feel bad for Elon in that he's in serious need of a light exercise and good eating program. He used to be in somewhat good shape. He's 47 now, which is right around when the old body can't hold it together as it used to without some proper light exercise and good eating habits. 45 was the age that I started developing a serious pot belly and I almost gave into it, but decided to change my eating habits. Lost 20 pounds, got rid of the pot belly. I hope he figures this out...

I kinda feel bad for Elon in that he's in serious need of a light exercise and good eating program. He used to be in somewhat good shape. He's 47 now, which is right around when the old body can't hold it together as it used to without some proper light exercise and good eating habits. 45 was the age that I started developing a serious pot belly and I almost gave into it, but decided to change my eating habits. Lost 20 pounds, got rid of the pot belly. I hope he figures this out...
But the Dad bod is in man....

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are suggesting, the answer is it would be very expensive. The operator networks are not currently built to support low-latency or scale requirements of the V2X communications you describe, so someone has to foot that bill. Second, no one guarantees 100% connectivity. 95% connectivity is probably doable today, but the 5% is gonna come back and bite someone. 100% connectivity means at least two independent systems (say 5G and satellite) which will drive up cost and complexity.

For the foreseeable future, you'll see cars making decisions based on on-board logic and data being augmented by online resources.
Not talking currently. Between 20-50 years from now. Obviously, all ICE need eradicated. If cars are electric/software oriented, it will be a lot easier to try to mandate such things. Internet will be free & high bandwidth, provided by satellites Elon is about to launch, right?:) (project Starlink)
So, it won't be expensive. And easily 100%, although a fallback solution will still be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.